building a kernel under redhat 5.1 ??

Post by Dan Sawye » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I am trying to build a kernel under 5.1. I have been
building redhat kernels since the 4 levels successfully.
With 5.1 they have added a new twist that doesn't seem
obvious. The problem is with the modules name and path
resolution.

How can a new kernel be build, say called 'test', that will
not disturb the in place vmlinuz?

What does the 'preferred' link in /lib/modules do?

Can there be two System.map in /boot? What should the one
for test be named?

redhat 5.1 seems to come with two links to modules, one
xxx2.0.34 and one xxx2.0.34-0.6 . Are they both needed?

The build makes a kernel 2.0.34. How can that be made
unique, say 2.0.34-local?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Post by Tom Easte » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am trying to build a kernel under 5.1. I have been
> building redhat kernels since the 4 levels successfully.
> With 5.1 they have added a new twist that doesn't seem
> obvious. The problem is with the modules name and path
> resolution.

> How can a new kernel be build, say called 'test', that will
> not disturb the in place vmlinuz?

> What does the 'preferred' link in /lib/modules do?

> Can there be two System.map in /boot? What should the one
> for test be named?

> redhat 5.1 seems to come with two links to modules, one
> xxx2.0.34 and one xxx2.0.34-0.6 . Are they both needed?

> The build makes a kernel 2.0.34. How can that be made
> unique, say 2.0.34-local?

> Thanks in advance,

> Dan

Get the initscripts update from the RH web site -- it fixes this problem with user-built kenrels.

--
Tom Eastep      Tandem Division of COMPAQ

building a kernel under redhat 5.1 ??

Post by felicity+s.. » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> How can a new kernel be build, say called 'test', that will
> not disturb the in place vmlinuz?

do a make zImage, then move arch/i386/boot/zImage to /boot/test.  edit
/etc/lilo.conf accordingly.

Quote:> What does the 'preferred' link in /lib/modules do?

don't worry about it.

Quote:> The build makes a kernel 2.0.34. How can that be made
> unique, say 2.0.34-local?

modules must be in /lib/modules/<version> ...  I'd remove the link to
2.0.34-0.6 (or -1 if you've upgraded) and let your custom compile put things
in 2.0.34 ...

--
To reply via mail, please remove the obvious from the email address.

Post by Rick Zem » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

|> The build makes a kernel 2.0.34. How can that be made
|> unique, say 2.0.34-local?
|>
|> Thanks in advance,
|>
|> Dan
|
|Get the initscripts update from the RH web site -- it fixes this problem
with user-built kenrels.

I wonder if there's a FAQ or HOW-TO on kernel-building for non-linux
gurus?  Something that will gently lead one by the hand through the
process.

Of course, it would be fair to say that if the requisite level of
knowledge isn't there, one shouldn't be rebuilding a kernel to begin with.

If there IS one, I need it...because my one attempt was a disaster.

Rick Zeman                           In our secret world, we will collide

Will Rogers never met Bill Clinton       What was it we were thinking of?

Post by jed » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>|> The build makes a kernel 2.0.34. How can that be made
>|> unique, say 2.0.34-local?
>|>
>|> Thanks in advance,
>|>
>|> Dan
>|
>|Get the initscripts update from the RH web site -- it fixes this problem
>with user-built kenrels.

>I wonder if there's a FAQ or HOW-TO on kernel-building for non-linux
>gurus?  Something that will gently lead one by the hand through the
>process.

        Just do a %make xconfig in your /usr/src/linux directory.
        The make commands might be gruesome at first but the
        configuration interface is really quite nice once one gets
        over the initial fright.

Quote:

>Of course, it would be fair to say that if the requisite level of
>knowledge isn't there, one shouldn't be rebuilding a kernel to begin with.

>If there IS one, I need it...because my one attempt was a disaster.

        Try %make bzImage first, just to be on the safe side...
        (after configuring the build of course...)

--
Hardly. Microsoft has brought the microcomputer OS to
the point where it is more bloated than even OSes from          |||

Post by Jon Gunnar R » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>|> The build makes a kernel 2.0.34. How can that be made
>|> unique, say 2.0.34-local?
>|>
>|> Thanks in advance,
>|>
>|> Dan
>|
>|Get the initscripts update from the RH web site -- it fixes this problem
>with user-built kenrels.

>I wonder if there's a FAQ or HOW-TO on kernel-building for non-linux
>gurus?  Something that will gently lead one by the hand through the
>process.

Linux Kernel HOWTO by Brian Ward.

--

Jon Gunnar Rue
Running RedHat Linux

Post by Dan Sawye » Sun, 26 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > How can a new kernel be build, say called 'test', that will
> > not disturb the in place vmlinuz?

> do a make zImage, then move arch/i386/boot/zImage to /boot/test.  edit
> /etc/lilo.conf accordingly.

> > What does the 'preferred' link in /lib/modules do?

> don't worry about it.

> > The build makes a kernel 2.0.34. How can that be made
> > unique, say 2.0.34-local?

> modules must be in /lib/modules/<version> ...  I'd remove the link to
> 2.0.34-0.6 (or -1 if you've upgraded) and let your custom compile put things
> in 2.0.34 ...

> --
> To reply via mail, please remove the obvious from the email address.

  Thank you for your input. It will help. There are just a couple of questions.

1. can the make process be configured to make 'versions'? When I did the build
it make 2.0.34. How can I make that 2.0.34-test?

2. If the above were done then I would assume the 'make install' would put the
modules in the 2.0.34-test

4. I would also assume that in lilo the image statement in lilo would link the
test boot to the test modules. (This assumes the image is copied as say
mvlinuz-2.0.34-test, the  build was made to that label, and the modules
installed in a dir with that name.)

Thanks in advance,
Dan

1. how to build new kernel on RedHat 5.1 ??

Hello,

I am having trouble building a new kernel on RedHat 5.1.

I have been building kernels since the RedHat 4.1 days so
this was a real suprise.

The problem seems to arise because RedHat extended the name
of the kernel in the /boot directory from a 2.0.31 to a
2.0.34-0.6 in release 5.1. The added -0.6 causes problems
with finding modules with the newly build kernel.

Has any one done this? What please did you do?

I would like to test the new kernel with 'lilo' as
'newlinux'. What did you name the modules directory in
/lib/modules? Did you leave the origenals there? ??

Thanks,

Dan

2. Palm OS SDK 4.0 for FreeBSD 4.6 available

3. Redhat 5.1 and Kernel build

4. pacific sierra vast/f90 problems

5. trouble building an new redhat 5.1 kernel and modules

6. Centralized Log Server

7. xxgdb won't build under RedHat 5.1

8. X - Problem - Lockups

9. RH Kernel w/5.1 PPP-built in?

10. Building Kernel on RH 5.1 Sparc

11. RH 5.1 kernel has built in FAT32 support?

12. RH 5.1 kernel building

13. kernel build problem after upgrade from 5.0a to 5.1