Reboot command fails, post setup reboot fails

Reboot command fails, post setup reboot fails

Post by silik.. » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi there.

I am having a problem with a number of machines that my company has
bought.  After installing RedHat and Linux attempts to reboot itself,
the reboot fails.  It unmounts the system and gets to the line right
before the reboot should occur, but then it freezes and the reboot
never occurs.

Rebooting manually results in a perfectly valid Linux installation.
However, issuing the "reboot" or "shutdown" commands result in the same
failure ...

It is pretty important that I find a solution this because we will need
the capability to reboot the machine remotely.

As a test, I booted from a DOS disk and ran a "reboot" command that I
downloaded from the old Simtel archives... It worked fine.

As an additional test, I tried booting the computer using Slackware
boot disks and issuing its "reboot" command... This failed just like
RedHat, so it is definitely something about Linux.

The systems have dual Pentium II 450Mhz, 256 MB RAM, AMI BIOS, Adaptec
SCSI cards.  Also, the CPUs are on cards, not on the "main" board.

Thanks for any help,

-Will Hatcher

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Paul Anders » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

>Rebooting manually results in a perfectly valid Linux installation.
>However, issuing the "reboot" or "shutdown" commands result in the same
>failure ...

Firstly, you really shouldn't use reboot to reboot the system, secondly - are
you using shutdown -r now?

Quote:>The systems have dual Pentium II 450Mhz, 256 MB RAM, AMI BIOS, Adaptec
>SCSI cards.  Also, the CPUs are on cards, not on the "main" board.

I see from the above statement that you are new to pentium IIs...  TTYL!

Reboot command fails, post setup reboot fails

Post by silik.. » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

I have tried "shutdown -r now" as well and it doesn't work either.

I can see from my description why you thought I was confused about the
Pentium IIs.  We have "CPU Cards" I think is the term.  Basically the
cpus, RAM, i/o, etc. are on a card that plugs into a backplane.  It is
a modified CS500 rack-mount machine.

Thanks,
Will

> >Rebooting manually results in a perfectly valid Linux installation.
> >However, issuing the "reboot" or "shutdown" commands result in the
same
> >failure ...

> Firstly, you really shouldn't use reboot to reboot the system,
secondly - are
> you using shutdown -r now?

> >The systems have dual Pentium II 450Mhz, 256 MB RAM, AMI BIOS,
Adaptec
> >SCSI cards.  Also, the CPUs are on cards, not on the "main" board.

> I see from the above statement that you are new to pentium IIs...
TTYL!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. NetBSD 1.4.1 'reboot' command often fails on HP-E60 (PIII)

I've recently installed NetBSD 1.4.1 on an HP-E60 (Intel PIII-500, ATX
motherboard, Adaptec SCSI disk, Phoenix BIOS). When I issue the 'reboot'
command, it sync's fine then says "Rebooting..." - and sometimes it does!
Mostly though it just sits there, requiring a power-cycle to get it going
again. The same problem can occur after a kernel panic.

*** Anyone else experienced similar problems?

*** Anyone seen any solutions or workarounds for this situation?

It would be very helpful to be able to reliably reboot this box.

Aaron.

----

Tel: +64 4 802-5025 / Fax: +64 4 382-9888
The Toolbox, PO Box 11-637, Wellington, New Zealand
http://www.toolbox.co.nz/

2. HP Visualize FX6 Video Card

3. AIX 4.1.3 - bosboot command failed in making mksysb - can I reboot?

4. Disk Quota

5. reboot error reboot error reboot error

6. Xconfig for #9GXE64

7. Compaq 6000 reboots and reboots and reboots

8. X takes 25 minutes to start!!!

9. Reboot fails

10. SunOS 5.4: Setting default router causes reboot to fail

11. root cron, written in perl fails when machines reboots

12. Networking problem - Works directly after installation fails after reboot no ifconfig or route problems (I think)

13. SCO on 2nd Partition fail on reboot