Media Vision & Sanyo H94S 2x CDROM

Post by Ashley Gilli » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

OK, here's the deal.  I thought that the instructions for the Sanyo H94A
CD-ROM would work for me (the sjcd boot disk, etc.), but I discovered
that the reason my Media Vision kit's Sanyo CDROM is H94S is that it is a
SCSI.  Under DOS it uses a driver fdcd.sys (Future Domain driver), but
the scsi boot disk (both the one on my CDROM--from Using Linux, v 1.1.59,
Slackware v?--and the newest Slackware) do not find the CDROM
drive...which makes installing troublesome--to say the least.

I am planning to try the ascsi boot disk, but don't have high hopes for
it.  Does anyone have a way for me to get my Linux installed?  Or should
I just find another version of Linux?  (Don't suggest copying from the
CDROM to HD...there's no room except to install.)

Thank you for all your help.

Vycke'

Victoria Gilliam
Check out my HTML work at  http://www.aksi.net/unicorn
Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

Media Vision & Sanyo H94S 2x CDROM

Post by Ashley Gilli » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:} OK, here's the deal.  I thought that the instructions for the Sanyo H94A
} CD-ROM would work for me (the sjcd boot disk, etc.), but I discovered
} that the reason my Media Vision kit's Sanyo CDROM is H94S is that it is a
} SCSI.  Under DOS it uses a driver fdcd.sys (Future Domain driver), but
} the scsi boot disk (both the one on my CDROM--from Using Linux, v 1.1.59,
} Slackware v?--and the newest Slackware) do not find the CDROM
} drive...which makes installing troublesome--to say the least.

Here's what has happened:

I'm using the scsi boot disk and adding the following at LILO (note: I
only have one floppy drive) :

ramdisk root=/dev/fd0 tmc8xx=0xca000,11 max_scsi_luns=0

This usually finds my CDROM on boot (irq 5 works as well), _BUT_ I cannot
get the install program to find the drive.   I'm using color.gz for the
root disk.

Anybody able to help?

Thanx,
Vycke'

--
Victoria Gilliam

Post by Eric Wampn » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: ramdisk root=/dev/fd0 tmc8xx=0xca000,11 max_scsi_luns=0

: This usually finds my CDROM on boot (irq 5 works as well), _BUT_ I cannot
: get the install program to find the drive.   I'm using color.gz for the
: root disk.

Check that the name that the install program is looking for is the
same as the one referenced in the boot messages, here is a SCSI tape
entry:

scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: WANGTEK   Model: 6130-HS           Rev: 4G16
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0

The device name is /dev/st0, as mentioned by the last line, yours
should be something like sr0 or scd0.

Now, if the install program still doesn't mount it, try doing this

mount -n -r -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt

if that DOES work, then use the install program's premounted
directory options and work from there. The -n is so you can
mount without writing to the /etc/mtab, if your root is mounted
read only, it won't work otherwise. If your root (/) is mounted
read/write you can leave it off.

If the boot message mentions a device which doesn't exits (ie
there is no /dev/scd0), then send me some email and I will help
you figure that one out.

eric
--
---

   ***G'Kar: "Weep for the chicken, Na'Toth. Weep for us all"***

Post by Ashley Gilli » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

} : ramdisk root=/dev/fd0 tmc8xx=0xca000,11 max_scsi_luns=0
} : This usually finds my CDROM on boot (irq 5 works as well), _BUT_ I cannot
} : get the install program to find the drive.   I'm using color.gz for the
} : root disk.
} Check that the name that the install program is looking for is the
} same as the one referenced in the boot messages, here is a SCSI tape
} entry:

<snip>

Quote:} Now, if the install program still doesn't mount it, try doing this
} mount -n -r -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt
} if that DOES work, then use the install program's premounted
} directory options and work from there. The -n is so you can
} mount without writing to the /etc/mtab, if your root is mounted
} read only, it won't work otherwise. If your root (/) is mounted
} read/write you can leave it off.

Someone had e-mailed me this a couple of days ago & it worked---then I
found some other problems...which caused me to purchase a CD w/Slackware 2.3.

Thanx anyway,
Vycke'

--
Victoria Gilliam

Post by Alex Liffe » Sat, 23 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>: ramdisk root=/dev/fd0 tmc8xx=0xca000,11 max_scsi_luns=0
>Check that the name that the install program is looking for is the
>same as the one referenced in the boot messages, here is a SCSI tape
>entry:
>scsi : 1 host.
>  Vendor: WANGTEK   Model: 6130-HS           Rev: 4G16
>  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0

  I've had the problem where the cdrom is detected a number of times.  I tried
the above line, and found my cdrom was not detected at all anymore (that was
after adding max_scsi_lunx=0).  Change the 0 to a 1 and it finds the cdrom
around 5 tiomes again.
  I can't access teh drive either after the multi detect.  It freezes all
processes trying to access the disc drive.  I'd liek to solve this prob if
anyone has any ideas.  I am using 1.3.48 (and update as tehy come out) and
use a Jazz16 sound card, which has teh scsi interface built in for the cdrom.
--
//\\lex
//\\lex

1. Media Vision + Sanyo H94A 2x CDROM

I have a Media Vision MV2100 multimedia upgrade kit that
came with a Deluxe MCD sound card (has jazz16 printed on
one of the chips) and a sanyo H94A 2X cdrom drive. The dos
and windows3.1 installation notes suggest the use of
the panasoic interface.

I am currently running linux 1.2.8 and the sbpcd.c
panasonic interface states it is not suitable for the sanyo.

Has anyone successfully recompiled their kernels for
the MVD sound card with sanyo H94A hanging off it?

The linux CDROM howto mentions an experimental sjcd
driver (kernel patch). Where can I can a copy of this?

Thank you very much.

-- Ed D'Azevedo

2. ingres

3. Sanyo CDRom-H94S (MediaVision Multimedia Kit)

4. linux calling a terminal

5. Media Vision + Sanyo H94A Cd-ROM

6. how to check mail remotely : Summary

7. Media Vision + Sanyo H94A CD-ROM

8. Double-sided printing with HP1100

9. Media Vision Prod 3D and Sanyo SCSI-2

10. Media Vision 3D sound card & Sony cu31a CDROM

11. Unable to mount Media Vision 2X SCSI CD Drive.

12. Sound Blaster AWE32 with a Sanyo 2X-CDROM?

13. Media Vision mult. kit cdrom