smbmount problem

Post by Oliver Schirrmeiste » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

Im using smbmount 2.0.5a to mount a NT share:

smbmount //NTServer/Share /mnt/NTShare -U username

This works fine.

When I try to mount the NT share and type in a wrong password I get an
error
like 'login failed'. Thats ok, but when I try the same command again I
get the
error message:

Could not resolve mount point /mnt/NTShare
I'm not asked for a password.

ls -l /mnt    reports an IO-error:
ls: /mnt/NTShare: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler

Connecting via smbclient is still possible.

After rebooting the linux client I'm able to mount the NT share, but is
there an
easier way?

Thanks

Oliver

smbmount problem

Post by Kousik Nan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Please don't reboot (it hurts!). If you type wrong password, then "umount"
the directory on which you are trying to smbmount, then try smbmounting it
again. Remember to 'umount' if you fail not 'smbumount' (don't ask me why!)

HTH,
-Kousik.

--
 __^__                                          __^__
( ___ )----------------------------------------( ___ )

smbmount problem

Post by D G » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Please don't reboot (it hurts!). If you type wrong password, then "umount"
> the directory on which you are trying to smbmount, then try smbmounting it
> again. Remember to 'umount' if you fail not 'smbumount' (don't ask me why!)

I'll try this.  My previous workarounds have been to smbmount to a new
directory.  Without rebooting, the problem goes away after a day or so
and I can reuse the original directory.

--
DG

(remove the Z's--they're what I do when I read SPAM!)

1. Smbmount problem

Hi,

Before I go completely crazy, can anyone tell me if the following is normal
Samba behaviour.

I have a working Samba connection between my Win 98 PC and linux box.  I can
mount Windows directories using smbmount and "ls" will give me the directory
contents.  If, however, under Windows, I then add a file to the shared
directory, it will *not* appear when I run "ls" again.  If I delete a file
from the Win directory, then "ls" will preface its listing by naming the
deleted file and saying that it does not exist.  From this I assume that
"ls" is indeed re-reading the Win directory each time it runs rather than
cacheing its contents, - but if that is right then why the blazes does it
not pick up any new file I create ?

The problem does not occur if, instead of mounting the Win directory, I use
smbclient. Running "ls" under smbclient correctly shows *all* changes in the
Windows directory.  Nor does the converse problem occur when I share a linux
directory with the PC - all changes are properly refelected in directory
listings produced by Windows.  Finally, the problem does not occur if I
mount the Windows directory using NFS rather than Samba.

This does not seem to be an "oplocks" problem, it occurs regardless of
setting oplocks true or false.

I am, by the way, using the current 2.0.6 Samba with the revised smbmount it
contains, under SuSe 6.3 but the same problem occurred with older versions
of both.

Any suggestions / explanations might just save an old man's sanity.

Thanks

Loki

2. ethernet multia

3. SMBmount problem [help]

4. PCI hardware problem/ netgear network card

5. smbmount problem solved

6. HELP HELP HELP

7. Smbmount problem.

8. tcpview for Solaris 2.5.x.

9. smbmount problem with Win NT and Win 2000

10. smbmount problems

11. odd smbmount problem

12. smbmount problem

13. Linux as a Samba client: smbmount problems