PPP & SLACKWARE 96 (Linux 2.0.0)

Post by af » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi all

After get work fine software Kermit and Minicom under my Linux Box
(Linux 2.0.0 - Pentium 133 mhz - disk boot ), I am actually trying
make PPP work too.

Here my problem start.....

- If I try use:  /usr/sbin/chat -v /dev/cua2  "ATDP2210100"
nothing happened. After more ou less 2 minutes the prompt return with
no errors message.
- If I try use: /usr/sbin/pppd connect "chat -v (or other argument)
ATZ Ok ATDP2210100"  I get the errors message: - V (or other
argument): unrecognized command.

HOWEVER if I use MINICOM to connect to my server PPP and after the
login e password I jump to use: pppd -d -detach /dev/cua2 & everything
works fine and I can make ping in my and int the server PPP IP adress
(how indicates de PPP How To).

Is there any good soul to help me ?????

Thanks in Advance

Ademar

PPP & SLACKWARE 96 (Linux 2.0.0)

Post by C. S. Allert c.. » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I'm not the only one then I get all types of errors from chat
(slackware 3.1 kernel 2.0.0) if I type in
pppd connect 'chat -v atdt 5551234 connect . . .  . . .

I get  "-v " unrecognized command  ok ok so I put it in a script an
call it with chat -f  .. .  now  I get "-f" unrecognized command
someone out there please help

>Hi all
>After get work fine software Kermit and Minicom under my Linux Box
>(Linux 2.0.0 - Pentium 133 mhz - disk boot ), I am actually trying
>make PPP work too.
>Here my problem start.....
>- If I try use:  /usr/sbin/chat -v /dev/cua2  "ATDP2210100"
>nothing happened. After more ou less 2 minutes the prompt return with
>no errors message.
>- If I try use: /usr/sbin/pppd connect "chat -v (or other argument)
>ATZ Ok ATDP2210100"  I get the errors message: - V (or other
>argument): unrecognized command.
>HOWEVER if I use MINICOM to connect to my server PPP and after the
>login e password I jump to use: pppd -d -detach /dev/cua2 & everything
>works fine and I can make ping in my and int the server PPP IP adress
>(how indicates de PPP How To).
>Is there any good soul to help me ?????
>Thanks in Advance
>Ademar

C. S. Allert

PPP & SLACKWARE 96 (Linux 2.0.0)

Post by Al Longye » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm not the only one then I get all types of errors from chat
>(slackware 3.1 kernel 2.0.0) if I type in
>pppd connect 'chat -v atdt 5551234 connect . . .  . . .

No. Most everyone who uses Slackware 3.1 gets these errors. The Slackware
distribution has messed up the PPP driver. This problem is so common that
it is a FAQ.

Solution:

Get rid of that stupid script that they have at /usr/sbin/pppd and put
the real pppd program at that location. The script does not like the
connect option and does not do it correctly.

Then, get rid of the stupid default route that they have in
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and put the real network route in its place.

Quote:>I get  "-v " unrecognized command  ok ok so I put it in a script an

--

1. PPP & SLACKWARE 96

[...]

2. linux lite on my zip dirve

3. PPP & SLACKWARE 96 PART III

4. Dual head screen "placement"

5. WIN/3B documentation. Hard copies?

6. Linux Slackware 96 PPP bug ??? (for pppd)

7. 3 button mouse enable...

8. FS: "Linux: Configuration & Installation", 2nd Edition, with Slackware 96 2 CD-ROM set

9. chat and ppp for Slackware 96

10. Slackware 96 - PPP - Not getting to the modem

11. PPP Problem using Slackware 96