Missing symbols in modules after kernel recompile

Missing symbols in modules after kernel recompile

Post by Steven Sob » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Ok, I've got 2.0.18 and just recompiled the kernel with gcc 2.7.2 to add
support for some of my hardware. LILO'd and rebooted, and got to the part
where the kernel determines module dependencies, and the kernel tells me
it can't find a bunch of symbols in various .o files in /lib/modules/2.0.18.

I am doing

        make dep
        make clean
        make zImage
        make modules
        make modules-install

Is this the wrong procedure? I only have a couple things loaded as
modules...

--
  Steve Sobol    | New Age Consulting: Network Consulting, Internet Provider
 Cleveland, OH   | Voice 216 524-8414/FAX 524-6699/Data 619-2015; www.nacs.net

Post by Mike Web » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Ok, I've got 2.0.18 and just recompiled the kernel with gcc 2.7.2 to add
> support for some of my hardware. LILO'd and rebooted, and got to the part
> where the kernel determines module dependencies, and the kernel tells me
> it can't find a bunch of symbols in various .o files in /lib/modules/2.0.18.

> I am doing

>         make dep
>         make clean
>         make zImage
>         make modules
>         make modules-install

> Is this the wrong procedure? I only have a couple things loaded as
> modules...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm getting the same thing after
following the same procedure.  I updated to 2.0.26 with the packages from
ftp.wsc.com (/pub/freeware/linux/...).  Everything is fine with the kernel
supplied with the update, but when I recompile to get rid of all those
unnecessary device drivers for hardware I don't have, I get dozens of
"undefined symbol" errors *and* even more insmod errors complaining about
wrong versions *and* modprobe saying it can't find module block-major-xx.
If anyone knows what needs to go or be added to get rid of these errors,
please let us know!

I've read the modules documentation, but it happily assumes everything
works and doesn't tell you want might cause any of the errors that many
people seem to be getting.  It must be something so basic we're missing it
and the doc writers don't consider it obscure enough to document... :)

I've enabled modules support in the kernel, enabled version numbers
(although maybe that's the first thing I'll leave out next time), and done
the make modules; make modules_install.

Help!

Thanks,

Missing symbols in modules after kernel recompile

Post by Scott Selle » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Ok, I've got 2.0.18 and just recompiled the kernel with gcc 2.7.2 to add
>support for some of my hardware. LILO'd and rebooted, and got to the part
>where the kernel determines module dependencies, and the kernel tells me
>it can't find a bunch of symbols in various .o files in /lib/modules/2.0.18.

>I am doing

>    make dep
>    make clean
>    make zImage
>    make modules
>    make modules-install

>Is this the wrong procedure? I only have a couple things loaded as
>modules...

Your procedure seems right.  The problem might be in your kernel
configuration.  One of the first options has to do with making
versioned modules.  If you don't have that one selected, you might try
it and see if it stops the errors.  Don't ask me why, but it seems to
work for me.

Also, if you are running kerneld (you should be if you are using
modules) be sure that:

depmod -a

is being run at some point in your startup scripts, and that you've
got /etc/modules.conf with:

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off

if those errors are showing up and you don't know what they are.

Hope this helps.

--
Scott Sellers  |

Post by Lee Grab » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > Ok, I've got 2.0.18 and just recompiled the kernel with gcc 2.7.2 to add
> > support for some of my hardware. LILO'd and rebooted, and got to the part
> > where the kernel determines module dependencies, and the kernel tells me
> > it can't find a bunch of symbols in various .o files in /lib/modules/2.0.18.

> > I am doing

> >         make dep
> >         make clean
> >         make zImage
> >         make modules
> >         make modules-install

> > Is this the wrong procedure? I only have a couple things loaded as
> > modules...

> If it makes you feel any better, I'm getting the same thing after
> following the same procedure.  I updated to 2.0.26 with the packages from
> ftp.wsc.com (/pub/freeware/linux/...).  Everything is fine with the kernel
> supplied with the update, but when I recompile to get rid of all those
> unnecessary device drivers for hardware I don't have, I get dozens of
> "undefined symbol" errors *and* even more insmod errors complaining about
> wrong versions *and* modprobe saying it can't find module block-major-xx.
> If anyone knows what needs to go or be added to get rid of these errors,
> please let us know!

> I've read the modules documentation, but it happily assumes everything
> works and doesn't tell you want might cause any of the errors that many
> people seem to be getting.  It must be something so basic we're missing it
> and the doc writers don't consider it obscure enough to document... :)

> I've enabled modules support in the kernel, enabled version numbers
> (although maybe that's the first thing I'll leave out next time), and done
> the make modules; make modules_install.

> Help!

> Thanks,

Ditto here:  rebuilt the 2.0.18 kernal, get lots of module dependency
errors
on rebooting.  I looked into the directory having the modules, and
noticed
that several of the modules that I didn't want were still there.  So, I
deleted everything that hadn't been updated when I did the 'make
modules;
make modules_install'.  When I rebooted, I was then down to one error.
would say what that error was, but I cannot remember!  Does the Depmod
work
on all the modules in the module directory?   If so, you may have a
mixture
of modules that were compiled in the old kernal, and ones that were
compiled
with the new one.
Lee
Graba                                                                 =
Honeywell Technology
Center                                               =
3660 Technology
Drive                                                     =
Minneapolis, MN
55418                                                     =
(612)
951-7503                                                            =

=

=

Missing symbols in modules after kernel recompile

Post by Steven Sob » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: > Thanks,

:
: Ditto here:  rebuilt the 2.0.18 kernal, get lots of module dependency
: errors
: on rebooting.  I looked into the directory having the modules, and
: noticed
: that several of the modules that I didn't want were still there.  So, I
: deleted everything that hadn't been updated when I did the 'make
: modules;
: make modules_install'.  When I rebooted, I was then down to one error.
: I
: would say what that error was, but I cannot remember!  Does the Depmod
: work

Lee, Mike Weber and I discussed this in e-mail and came to the
same conclusion. I moved the 2.0.18 module directory to 2.0.18old,
and created a new 2.0.18 directory - same effect. :>

I still get two errors on boot. The system can't find net/net-pf-4
and net/net-pf-5, but since these are the IPX and Appletalk protocols
respectively, and I don't use them, I don't care. It would be nice to
not have the errors come up, but fixing them is a low priority.

(Although I'm going to have to recompile anyhow, because I left something
out of the kernel, so maybe I'll work on it tonight.)

--
  Steve Sobol    | Officially labeled LAME by Brandt Fundak... & Proud of it!
 Cleveland, OH   |

1. help: Undefined Symbol when loading modules after recompile kernel

I am having a problem loading modules  after I rebuild the kernel, I
get "undefined symbol" messages. I am running this on a generic P-100
with 32mb ram.

I'm new to Linux but I've had a good bit of SCO experience. So far, this
O/S rocks! I just gotta figure this stuff out.

What I tried
============

I read the kernel how-to and followed instaructions for recompiling the
Kernel. I go through the "make config" options and pick only the stuff
I need. I make sure that I enabled all support for modules. I made sure
I did the "make dep ; make clean " before "make zImage". I ran "make
modules" and "make modules_install" but to no avail.

Messages
--------

{symbol name} : wrong version or undefined.

linux-2.0.25

Thanks in advance.

Ed Padin, Systems Integration Consultant, NYC/USA
    " Lead or get out of the way! "

Net-Tamer V 1.08 Palm Top - Registered

2. Escape sequence for "clear" command

3. unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

4. accidental deletion

5. Ping timings?

6. Kernel modules missing symbols

7. SLS1.03(99pl11) and DosEmulator

8. kernel_version, *** Cannot resolve kernel symbols, and kernel modules

9. Network modules missing symbols