How to remove LILO from MBR

Post by spddm » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I want to give an old HDD to my nephew, but apparently LILO won't boot
either WIN95 or linux without it. It seems that I cannot change  the
hardware configuration that existed when LILO was installed. Can someone
please tell me how to remove LILO from the MBR ?
Thanks
Dan

How to remove LILO from MBR

Post by Edwin Calim » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: I want to give an old HDD to my nephew, but apparently LILO won't boot
: either WIN95 or linux without it. It seems that I cannot change  the
: hardware configuration that existed when LILO was installed. Can someone
: please tell me how to remove LILO from the MBR ?
: Thanks
: Dan

Boot up a DOS disk then type   fdisk /mbr

--

--------------------

How to remove LILO from MBR

Post by spddm » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

 Thanks  for the suggestion, but I don't want to reformat and reload the
hard drive. I was looking for a less brutal method that would leave the
drive basically intact.
Dan

> : I want to give an old HDD to my nephew, but apparently LILO won't boot
> : either WIN95 or linux without it. It seems that I cannot change  the
> : hardware configuration that existed when LILO was installed. Can
someone
> : please tell me how to remove LILO from the MBR ?
> : Thanks
> : Dan

> Boot up a DOS disk then type   fdisk /mbr

> --

> --------------------

How to remove LILO from MBR

Post by Villy Kru » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Thanks  for the suggestion, but I don't want to reformat and reload the
>hard drive. I was looking for a less brutal method that would leave the
>drive basically intact.
>Dan

The advise given wasn't stupid!  dos fdisk /mbr does not in anyway remove
other information on the disk but the lilo located on sector zero, and
it will then install a proper msdos loader in its place.  Is that brutal;
I dont think so.

Villy

How to remove LILO from MBR

Post by spddm » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Villy,
Please do not be offended. It was not my intent to belittle the advice
given, only that I thought it was not what I needed. In light of your
assurance, I applied the solution and it appears to have worked well. My
thanks to you and Edwin
Dan
Quote:> The advise given wasn't stupid!  dos fdisk /mbr does not in anyway remove
> other information on the disk but the lilo located on sector zero, and
> it will then install a proper msdos loader in its place.  Is that brutal;
> I dont think so.

> Villy

1. Removing LILO from MBR

I'm fairly proficient in Linux, but when I went to remove it from
my old 486 to put OS/2 on it, LILO _refuses_ to let go of the master
boot record...  any ideas on how to get around this? Software is
Redhat 4.2, and OS/2 Warp Connect.  I've tried OS/2s, Linux's, and
MS-DOS's FDISK programs, and nothing seems to be able to get rid of
it...

2. First connection to net via Linux

3. Remove LILO from MBR?

4. Soc Unix and mirroring

5. How to remove lilo from MBR? Thanks

6. 3Com 3C595 & Linux

7. HELP! How do I remove LILO from MBR ?!?

8. Sanyo SCP 7050 Cellular Phone

9. Help to remove Lilo from mbr

10. How to remove LILO from MBR

11. removing lilo from mbr