default windows manager for x?

Post by Myra Hage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

How can I change the default windows manager for X?  I have a Redhat
6.2 server running Xfree 4.01.  Right now I guess it is using TWM.  I
looked at the xinitrc file and it says it is starting TWM and then 2
xterm windows, a clock, and a login screen.  I want to use something
(anything) else.  So how can i change it?  I only want to change it for
the console login root.  Thanks for any help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Michael Per » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:31:40

>How can I change the default windows manager for X?  I have a Redhat
>6.2 server running Xfree 4.01.  Right now I guess it is using TWM.  I
>looked at the xinitrc file and it says it is starting TWM and then 2
>xterm windows, a clock, and a login screen.  I want to use something
>(anything) else.  So how can i change it?  I only want to change it for
>the console login root.  Thanks for any help.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Lets say you have installed one of my favorites; Blackbox.  You could create
a .xinitrc file in root's home and put in something like "exec blackbox".
Blackbox also does windowmaker dockapps.  You could download a few dockapps
and populate those with commands like "sleep 1 && wmCalClock &" to start a
nice dockapp clock application or perhaps one to monitor system stuff like
wmsysmon.  The exec blackbox line should be the very last line in the
.xinitrc you create and it should not have a "&" following the entry.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

1. how do you open other window managers in a window manager

I like using ICE as my w.m.  but sometimes I like the look of
WindowMaker.  How can I open this up in Ice.

also, can I use KDE as my default and then be able to use Ice or WM as
above?  The only reason I'm asking is that KDE is an environment while
the other two are managers.

also , does anyone know where i can get a tutorial or a good web site
on Ice.  the main site seems to be down or misplaces or something.

2. dualboot : mandrake 7 and windows 98

3. Default Windows Manager

4. chroot-sendmail-lockf

5. How to change the default windows manager ?

6. Using Apache

7. Change default window manager to 'olvm'

8. *nix on a BeBox

9. How to replace TWM by MWM as the default window manager

10. Making enlightenment the default window manager

11. How to switch default window manager?

12. SuSE 5.3 and default window manager

13. default window manager