1. Newbie startx problem: can't load library 'libXpm.so.4'
: ..... XFree86 version before reinstalling 3.2A). From the
: command line, I can type 'X' and get a graphical display. But when I
: run startx, I get the same display as when I type 'X', but it dies
: after a few seconds and comes back to the text mode prompt. I'm doing
: this as root. In my home (/root) directory, I stumbled upon a file
: called .xsession-errors with the contents:
: /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm: can't load library 'libXpm.so.4'
: Using find / -name libXpm.so.4 -print, I verified that the file is not
: present on my machine. I'm assuming this is the source of my problem.
: Can someone point me to where I might find this file?
You SHOULD have this. Whether or not it can be found is another
question. 'libXpm.so' should be in either (I don't recall exactly)
'/usr/X11R6/lib' or in '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11'.
For this to be found, it has be under '/usr/lib'. I believe that
'/usr/lib/X11' is the exact subdirectory. The way to fix this is
to create a symbolic link using the following command from the
ln -s ../X11R6/lib/X11 X11
I had a similar problem with X11 header files while trying to
compile GIMP this afternoon. The symbolic link pointing from
'/usr/X11R6/include/X11' to '/usr/include/X11' was missing
from a Red Hat 4.1 installation (Actually, a Cheap Bytes
knock-off of RH4.1) that I had just set up.
2. pppd server proxy arp error
3. NEWBIE....STARTX Problems with RedHat5
4. Q: Any way to reconstruct input to gencat(1)?
5. newbie,,,startx problem
6. Gnome 2
7. newbie-startx problem
8. Porting Linux x86 sound driver to MIPS-Linux platformm
9. Not a newbie, but with a newbie problem (startx fails error 2)
10. Newbie problem: how do I get 'startx' to point to KDE/Gnome automatically?
11. Newbie with startx / xinit - problem... FBSD 3.4 - Enlightenment
12. newbie problem with startx (RedHat 5.1)
13. startx problem newbie