Help with using X-Win32 to run Linux X Server from windows client

Help with using X-Win32 to run Linux X Server from windows client

Post by Hung Ngoc La » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello everyone,
First of all, let me say that I am relatively new to Linux.  My background comes
from Windows NT environment.  I have been using Linux (RH 6.1) for about 6 months
and I really like a lot.  Linux is much more stable and perform much better than
Microsoft windows.  In the past 6 months, I have learned a few things about Linux
and I am falling in love with it.

At the moment, I am setting a Linux box running on a PIII 600Mhz with 256 MB of
RAM.  X-windows is working fine (I can start x from the command line or set it
to level-5 with linuxconf).  I even know how to install and configure SSH and get
it to work when I am at a windows client (by the way, I am using Secure CRT running
on Microsoft windows).  Furthermore, I am using StarOffice 5.1 on the Linux box.
Everytime I want to use StarOffice, I have to go to StarOffice directory and
mannually start it there (if anybody know how to do it automatically from X, please
let me know).

Here is my problem.  I am trying to convince my boss and a few people in the office
to use linux.  We have no problem telnet to the Linux box; however my goal is to
allow these people to use X-window application from their win98/NT machines.  The
X-window client application I am using right now is X-win32.  I do NOT have any clues
on how to set up these things.  What do I need to do on both the Linux machine and
Win98/NT machine?  If anybody has done this before, please help me.  Let me know
what needs to be done at both end (i.e. Linux server and win98/NT).  Also, please make
your instructions a precise as possible (remember you are dealing with a new
Linux user here [me]).  Bottom line, PLEASE HELP.

Thanks.
David
------------- LONG LIVE LINUX --------------

Help with using X-Win32 to run Linux X Server from windows client

Post by Aurelien Marchan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hey
To see a graphical of a Linux box on a Win box, follow this link
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html

To prevent yourself from cd-ing to the staroffice directory, simply add it
to your path:

from your shell:
# PATH=$PATH:/path/to/staroffice/bin
# export PATH (or export $PATH??)

If you don;t want to do that everty time, simply modify your ~/.bashrc file
If nowhere it talks about PATH in your ~/.bashrc file, add it:
export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/staroffice/bin

Salut
Aurelien

>Hello everyone,
>First of all, let me say that I am relatively new to Linux.  My background
comes
>from Windows NT environment.  I have been using Linux (RH 6.1) for about 6
months
>and I really like a lot.  Linux is much more stable and perform much better
than
>Microsoft windows.  In the past 6 months, I have learned a few things about
Linux
>and I am falling in love with it.

>At the moment, I am setting a Linux box running on a PIII 600Mhz with 256
MB of
>RAM.  X-windows is working fine (I can start x from the command line or set
it
>to level-5 with linuxconf).  I even know how to install and configure SSH
and get
>it to work when I am at a windows client (by the way, I am using Secure CRT
running
>on Microsoft windows).  Furthermore, I am using StarOffice 5.1 on the Linux
box.
>Everytime I want to use StarOffice, I have to go to StarOffice directory
and
>mannually start it there (if anybody know how to do it automatically from
X, please
>let me know).

>Here is my problem.  I am trying to convince my boss and a few people in
the office
>to use linux.  We have no problem telnet to the Linux box; however my goal
is to
>allow these people to use X-window application from their win98/NT
machines.  The
>X-window client application I am using right now is X-win32.  I do NOT have
any clues
>on how to set up these things.  What do I need to do on both the Linux
machine and
>Win98/NT machine?  If anybody has done this before, please help me.  Let me
know
>what needs to be done at both end (i.e. Linux server and win98/NT).  Also,
please make
>your instructions a precise as possible (remember you are dealing with a
new
>Linux user here [me]).  Bottom line, PLEASE HELP.

>Thanks.
>David
>------------- LONG LIVE LINUX --------------

1. Help with using X-Win32 to run Linux X Server from windows client

[...]

------- LONG LIVE LINUX.---------
DAVID

2. ALS100 full duplex

3. Advert DRS 10th Annual Conference

4. Using X-win32 to connect to a server running Red Hat Linux6

5. Y2K Question on Solaris 2.6 (Beginner)

6. Running Applix using ReflectionX and Starnet X-Win32.

7. XF86 on 80486?

8. help with X-win32 client software

9. help with running X-win32 with RedHat 7.0