roadmap to cross-platform mail setup?

Post by Andrzej Fili » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I'd like to setup e-mail for cross-platform use, but I find myself at a
> total loss about how to proceed.  I *think* I've read the relevant FAQs
> and such, but I'm stil not sure exactly what's needed, and the setup I'm
> after can't be all that rare.

> Here's the basic situation

> A number of machines (un*x, mac, windows) in the home/office.  The Linux
> box is the main server, and I've set it up to automatically grab e-mail
> from my ISP using fetchmail.  I've also got qmail on the server. So far,
> so good.

> Now what I want to do is to be able to read my mail from any machine in
> the place.  This is fairly simple by setting up a popserver (which I've
> done), but there's catch.

> Most of my mail gets sorted into folders, usually in filters made in Eudora.
> Can I get that to work in a cross-platform way?  What I'd really like is
> the situation where if I create a new folder in Eudora and move some mail
> in there, I'd like Mac Eudora and kmail (or whatever) on the other boxes
> to see the new folder.

> Is this possible with a server setup, or is this whole folder thing a
> matter for the user agent?   If it's a user agent thing, is there a
> cross-platform user agent, or at least a standard format that I could
> use on all these machines?

> Basically, I think I just want a setup that works pretty much like
> commercial systems like cc:mail work.  I want to log into the mail
> system, and see my customized environment. There's an aspect to this
> whole thing that just eludes me I think.

Keep everything on linux and access the mailboxes via imap4
protocol (you can use/create mail folders ).

--
Andrzej (Andrew) A. Filip | Warsaw, Poland | fax: +1(801)327-6278

   Postings: http://deja.com/profile.xp?author=Andrzej%20Filip

 Who refuses a better job offer ?

roadmap to cross-platform mail setup?

Post by Jeff Grossma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you use IMAP instead of POP, then the messages are never downloaded to
the client, but stay on the server until you delete them.  And if you create
server side folders, you can move the messages in those folders, than any
client accessing the server via IMAP will see the messages.

The only downside to IMAP, is it is more server intensive.  Every user will
be accessing the server just to read each message.

Jeff

--

Post by Thor Kotteli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> If you use IMAP instead of POP, then the messages are never downloaded to
> the client, but stay on the server until you delete them.

Hm, it seems to me that if the messages were never downloaded to the
client, the client would have no means of reading them...

Follow-ups set.

Thor

--
Many Web page users may be operating in contexts very
different from your own. As a content developer, you must

roadmap to cross-platform mail setup?

Post by Nancy this-address-is-valid McGoug » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> Most of my mail gets sorted into folders, usually in filters made in Eudora.
>> Can I get that to work in a cross-platform way?

>Keep everything on linux and access the mailboxes via imap4
>protocol (you can use/create mail folders ).

And for filtering you can use procmail on your Linux machine. My
newly revised Procmail Quick Start will help you get going with that.
It's mirrored at:

 Primary: http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
 Backup: http://www.best.com/~ii/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

Good luck,

--
?Nancy McGough       http://www.ii.com/       Infinite Ink

Post by Lucius Chiaravigl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> If you use IMAP instead of POP, then the messages are never downloaded to
>> the client, but stay on the server until you delete them.

>Hm, it seems to me that if the messages were never downloaded to the
>client, the client would have no means of reading them...

        The default behavior of an IMAP4 client (based on my use of
NetScape Communicator 4.6.1) is to leave messages stored only on the
server, and download them every time you read them.  You can easily
copy messages onto local mailboxes stored on your client computer,
though -- I do this, and it works.

1. Cross-Platform Mail Solutions

Folks;

I've never know email could be such a big issue/problem in my freaking
life!  I know a few months ago there was a thread on which cross-platform
mail solutions are recommended.  At the time I had no use for such information.
Now I do.

We are looking for a cross-platform mail solution that works well in Unix,
Mac and PC worlds.  We would like to administer and serve the mail functions
from a Unix host with the PCs, Macs and other Unix boxes acting as clients.
Besides the usual features, we need a built-in network calendar tool,
remote (dial-in) access, single Unix server to multiple platforms, ability
to send binary files (byte-for-byte), maintenance utilities that run on Unix
host, etc., etc., etc.

We looked briefly at cc:Mail and found it not to be a viable alternative
for a variety of reasons.  I just got off the phone with the WordPerfect
people talking about their WordPerfect Office product and was not overwhelmed.

Anybody got any ideas.  Oh yeah, the most important thing is that the
system MUST run over TCP/IP on all platforms.  No localtalk stuff for Macs,
etc.

--
Horace

2. GATEWAY with CM 205 CD-ROM

3. Cross-Platform Wav C library?

4. Clearing a hung serial port

5. wxWindows 2.4.1 for cross-platform GUI apps

6. cannot connect to http server

7. Announce: lib3d-0.1.7 - Fast, Free, Cross-platform 3d

8. Regarding crypt

9. Cross-platform Calendar Manager?

10. REVOLUTION CROSS-PLATFORM IDE LAUNCHED

11. (Open)LDAP server for cross-platform authentication..

12. Cross-platform backups via tar/dump/other?

13. C/C++ Cross-platform *text-based* API