Arrgh! How do I connect to my ISP?

Post by David O » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Maybe I'm really stupid or something, but after fooling aound
with my copy of Caldera Network Desktop 1.0 (read Red Hat 2.1) for days,
I still haven't been able to connect to my ISP (which runs NT) let alone
dial-in or -out with my modem.
        Problem 1: Seyon keeps looking for /dev/modem which I do not
have.  I must type 'seyon -modems /dev/cua1' at the command line each
time I want to use it.
        Problem 2: Does anyone know if there is a default chat/pppd
script installed, or a utility that automates modem dialing?  I hate to
bring Windows into this, but if I wanted to add a dial-up connection, I
just run the Wizard, and I'm on my way.  If only Linux did this....
Specifically, I can't dial out to my ISP to get on the `Net -- I have to
boot back to (gulp!) WIN95.
        Problem 3: I thought that perhaps I could have two modems in my
computer one calling the other, but when I do this, modem 2 doesn't pick
up.  Solution?

        I'm in need of some hand-holding here.  I'm a relative newbie,
but the reason I'm going frantic is because I'm setting up a small ISP
myself on CND (our leased ISDN line is activated May 1st!)  If anyone
can direct me to resources or better still take the time from their busy
schedules to help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

        Best regards, and many thanks in advance
        David Oh

Post by Wim Vandeput » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

        Problem 1: Seyon keeps looking for /dev/modem which I do not
: have.  I must type 'seyon -modems /dev/cua1' at the command line each
: time I want to use it.

ln -sf /dev/cua1 /dev/modem

:       Problem 2: Does anyone know if there is a default chat/pppd
: script installed, or a utility that automates modem dialing?  I hate to
: bring Windows into this, but if I wanted to add a dial-up connection, I
: just run the Wizard, and I'm on my way.  If only Linux did this....
: Specifically, I can't dial out to my ISP to get on the `Net -- I have to
: boot back to (gulp!) WIN95.

/usr/local/bin/ppp-on:

/usr/lib/ppp/pppd connect '/usr/lib/ppp/chat -v "" ATDT2644725 CONNECT ""
name: usrnam word: xxxxxxxx et: ppp PP.' /dev/cua2 19200 crtscts modem lock defaultroute noipdefault

:       Problem 3: I thought that perhaps I could have two modems in my
: computer one calling the other, but when I do this, modem 2 doesn't pick
: up.  Solution?

Your modem is waiting for a dialtone.. check your modem manual to dissable it

:
:       I'm in need of some hand-holding here.  I'm a relative newbie,
: but the reason I'm going frantic is because I'm setting up a small ISP
: myself on CND (our leased ISDN line is activated May 1st!)  If anyone
: can direct me to resources or better still take the time from their busy
: schedules to help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh dear :-)

good luck with your company. Ever thought of hireing (sp?) someone who
knows something about unix and networking?

Arrgh! How do I connect to my ISP?

Post by Aaron Scameho » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>        Problem 1: Seyon keeps looking for /dev/modem which I do not

have.  I must type 'seyon -modems /dev/cua1' at the command line each
time I want to use it.

Why not create a link?  cd /dev/; ln -s cua1 modem
Simple!
       Problem 2: Does anyone know if there is a default chat/pppd
script installed, or a utility that automates modem dialing? I hate to
bring Windows into this, but if I wanted to add a dial-up connection, I
just run the Wizard, and I'm on my way. If only Linux did this....
Specifically, I can't dial out to my ISP to get on the `Net -- I have to

boot back to (gulp!) WIN95.

There are chat scripts for a ppp connection in /usr/sbin.  Look at
ppp-on & ppp-off

       Problem 3: I thought that perhaps I could have two modems in my
computer one calling the other, but when I do this, modem 2 doesn't pick

up.  Solution? <<

You have to initialize the modem to auto-answer mode.  Depending on if
you using agetty, uugetty, or ps-getty, there are different ways to do
this.  But specifically, you want to set S register 0 (S0) to 1 (S0=1,
answer on first ring).

Post by Clément Dupui » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Maybe I'm really stupid or something, but after fooling aound
> with my copy of Caldera Network Desktop 1.0 (read Red Hat 2.1) for days,
> I still haven't been able to connect to my ISP (which runs NT) let alone
> dial-in or -out with my modem.

If you can start your X-Windows it may help you configure your modem properly.  From
an X-window start a shell window,  inside that shell window you will type:
control-panel and press the enter key.   This will give you the default Red Hat
configuration utility.  Choose the modem configuration icon, ensure that your modem is
properly configured to the port you wish to use.  This will establish a link in the
dev directory call modem that is used by the /etc/dip-script

Quote:>         Problem 1: Seyon keeps looking for /dev/modem which I do not
> have.  I must type 'seyon -modems /dev/cua1' at the command line each
> time I want to use it.

You do not need seyon to establish a PPP link to your ISP

Quote:>         Problem 2: Does anyone know if there is a default chat/pppd
> script installed, or a utility that automates modem dialing?  I hate to

There is a default dip script in /etc but I would suggest that you use your own
customize one.  You can specify in the X-windows nettool which script you wish to use.
 I take for granted that you did add a ppp0 device with the nettool.  If not then you
should do so.  I have included a sample dip script that I use with Caldera 1.0 to dial
my provider.  It work like a charm.

Quote:

>         I'm in need of some hand-holding here.  I'm a relative newbie,
> but the reason I'm going frantic is because I'm setting up a small ISP
> myself on CND (our leased ISDN line is activated May 1st!)  If anyone
> can direct me to resources or better still take the time from their busy
> schedules to help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

We have done something very similar to what you are doing.  But we are using only a
28.8 dedicated line with Win 95 terminals hook up  to the server.

Please try some of the above and email me if it does not work.

       P R O F E S S O R    P O P O U T U N I X
           SCO UNIX/WINDOWS/Linux SUPPORT

[ School.dip 3K ]
#  DIP Script to connect to Nathalie's account at the school     #
#                                                                #
#  This script will deal with dynamic assignment of IP address   #
#                                                                #
#  This script was create by Clement Dupuis on 17 March 1996     #
#                                                                #
#  NOTE:  some end of line may require \n  or \r\n instead of \r #
#                                                                #
#  This script works fine for myself and is free to use at your  #
#  own risk and perils.  Of course there is tons of different    #
#  modems and configurations out there.  Small adjustments may   #
#  be needed, but it should work just by changing the account    #
#  and password to your own account and password.                #
main:
#
# Modem and port initialization,  ensure that you specify the proper
# port and speed for you machine.
#
print ******* Nathalie's account Connect Script *******
print
print ======> Step 1  -  Initializing Modem and port
port modem
speed 19200
reset

#
# We will now sent the modem init string and dial the server
# You have to input the proper phone number for your provider
#
print
print ======> Getting ready to dial provider
print
print ======> Dialing your provider now.....
send ATM1L1DT5304764\r
wait CONNECT 45
if $errlvl != 0 goto error

#
# We will now attempt to log on the remote system or provider.
# You may not need the "sleep 3" command at all.  The next thing
# you must insure is the word use to prompt for the login and
# the word use to prompt for your password.  Some providers uses
# "Username:"  instead of "login:".  Ask your provider if you are
# not sure what is is used to login on the remote system.
#
print
print ======> I am now trying to log on the provider server.
print ======>  (Ensure that you changed login and password)
print ======>  (to your personal login and password.......)
login:
sleep 5
wait Username: 10
if $errlvl != 0 goto error
#
# Replace YOUR_LOGIN_NAME by your real login name on the following
# line.  Once your login name is inserted, enter your password.
#
send username\n
if $errlvl != 0 goto error
wait Password: 10
if $errlvl != 0 goto error
#
# Replace YOUR_PASSWORD by your real password.  Ensure that you have
# proper capitalization.  Remember that Linux is case sensitive
#
send password\n

#
# We must now wait for the login server prompt and send the
# proper type of connection that we wish to establish
#
wait BED47C25> 10
if $errlvl != 0 goto error
send ppp\n
#
# We now have to wait for Internet Kingston server to send the server
# IP address and the client addresss.
#
print
print ======> Now waiting for the provider to send the remote IP address
print ======> and your own IP address.  I will then establish PPP
#wait Server= 10
#get $remote remote

#wait Client= 10
#get $local remote

print
print ======> Now establish the PPP link as the default route
loggedin:
get $mtu 1500
default

done:
print
print ======> CONNECTED to $rmtip with IP address $locip
mode ppp
exit

error:
print
print ======> I am sorry,  it did not work for you this time
print ======> PPP connection to $rmtip failed.

Post by root » Thu, 02 May 1996 04:00:00

> [...]

> #
> # Replace YOUR_PASSWORD by your real password.  Ensure that you have
> # proper capitalization.  Remember that Linux is case sensitive
> #
> send password\n
> =
> #
> # We must now wait for the login server prompt and send the
> # proper type of connection that we wish to establish
> #
> wait BED47C25> 10
> if $errlvl !=3D 0 goto error
> send ppp\n
> #
> # We now have to wait for Internet Kingston server to send the server
> # IP address and the client addresss.
> #
> print
> print =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> Now waiting for the provider to send the remote=
 IP address
> print =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> and your own IP address.  I will then establish=
 PPP
> #wait Server=3D 10
> #get $remote remote
> =
> #wait Client=3D 10
> #get $local remote
> =
> print
> print =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> Now establish the PPP link as the default route=
> loggedin:
> get $mtu 1500
> default
> =
> done:
> print
> print =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> CONNECTED to $rmtip with IP address $locip
> mode ppp
> exit
> =
> error:
> print
> print =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> I am sorry,  it did not work for you this time
> print =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> PPP connection to $rmtip failed.

I just thought I might mention, I have been using CND 1.0 for 2 months
now and have found it MUCH easier, more mature, and more powerful
out-of-the-box than any of the other (Slackware 2.3, 3.0, RedHat 2.0)
Linux distributions.  I connected to my ISP in 30 seconds after filling
in the 'netcfg' blanks (something that took me about a month with
Slackware AND RedHat trying both chat-pppd and dip).  Since my (and I
assume most) ISPs use dynamic IP allocation, I set both my remote and
local IP addresses to 0.0.0.0 and I have run without a hitch ever since!

Post by Pete » Sat, 04 May 1996 04:00:00

: I still haven't been able to connect to my ISP (which runs NT) let alone
: dial-in or -out with my modem.
<snip>
:       I'm in need of some hand-holding here.  I'm a relative newbie,
: but the reason I'm going frantic is because I'm setting up a small ISP

Hire a good consultant or die!  :)

1. Connecting to isp with linux, letting windows connect through linux

Dear friends,
        I have my own computer using SuSE Linux 5.3 connecting to the net
over a modem.  I also have a windows computer that i built for my parents
downstairs.  I have ethernet cards installed in both with a crossover cable
between them.  What do I need to set up on the linux computer to let the
windows computer use the net?

                                    Thank you,
                                        Michael Painter

p.s. Please email me a reply also

2. LILO Redhat 4.0 config

3. Connect to ISP Using Morningstar

4. Endless for download/run * Volunteers of support for Linux/REXX?

5. Scipts to Setup and Connect to ISP - scripts.zip

6. redhat 5.2 + samba

7. Problem to Connect my ISP with pppd and chat

8. Korn Shell 93 on Solaris 8

9. How to config solaris 2.5 x86 connect to ISP

10. Can't connect to ISP with PPP...

11. KPPP connects to ISP but can't go to any sites!

12. Connecting to ISP

13. How do I connect to a Winows ISP with my Red Hat Linux?