HP 870Cse and parallel port

Post by Jeffrey A. Greenoug » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Is the HP 870Cse printer compatible with linux? Does compatiblity with
linux mean that this printer understands HP print control language?

Is the issue with the 820Cse *not* working with linux due to no driver
for the windows printing system being available on linux or is it
something more fundamental?

I have a TI 5200 laptop and a dockmate.  Undocked I can access the
parallel port with /dev/lp1.  How can I get to the dockmate parallel
port when docked. I believe it hangs off the PCI bus and is not a
pass-through port like the serial port.

Thanks for you help,
jeff

--
Jeffrey A. Greenough
Center for Computational Sciences and Engineering, LBNL

HP 870Cse and parallel port

Post by M. Buchenried » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Is the HP 870Cse printer compatible with linux? Does compatiblity with
>linux mean that this printer understands HP print control language?

Yes. At least, I think it can be used with the drivers for the HP 560C ,
IIRC (check Dejanews) .

Quote:>Is the issue with the 820Cse *not* working with linux due to no driver
>for the windows printing system being available on linux or is it
>something more fundamental?

[...]

The latter. This is not even a real printer, just some dumb device
* off of the parallel port. You can't use it in DOS/NT/OS2 ... ,
neither . Same problem with the Winmodems, by the way.

Michael

Satellite Safety Tip #4:
                If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.

HP 870Cse and parallel port

Post by Julien F.J. SALGAD » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Is the HP 870Cse printer compatible with linux? Does compatiblity with
> linux mean that this printer understands HP print control language?

I have the 870Cxi (about the same), it uses PCL3. To print under any
unix like os you should uses ghostscript 4.2 , with the patch for
the HP850. After you may use a filter as magicfilter that do all
the work for you.

Now, I don't know if there is a program to control the printer,
but it might possible to write one. But you need the complete
list of the PCL code. If someone has them, please...

Julien

HP 870Cse and parallel port

Post by David R. McGo » Mon, 04 Aug 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

I am using an HP 870Cse with no problems under Linux.  It uses the DeskJet
550/560/6xx ghostscript driver.  All the print control is built into the
printer, which uses a RISC processor and 2M of ROM and 512K of RAM.
It uses PCL Level 3.

The HP 820 is a Windows "GDI" printer, and requires the host computer to
perform the print control functions through the driver.  It is sold as a
Windows-only printer.  Avoid it like the plague.

Note that the HP870Cse is sold as Mac compatatblei (System 7.1), and I seem
to remember that
HP's web page has a compatability matrix that shows "Unix" compatability for
this printer.

David

Quote:> Is the HP 870Cse printer compatible with linux? Does compatiblity with
> linux mean that this printer understands HP print control language?

> Is the issue with the 820Cse *not* working with linux due to no driver
> for the windows printing system being available on linux or is it
> something more fundamental?

                            David R. McGown

 Home: (703)683-1599         206 Adams Ave           ALPHA GENERATION!
 Work: (703)416-1240      Alexandria, VA 22301