win95 & linux (lilo) boot problems

Post by Michael Mc Cab » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am using win95 (on first partition) & suse 5.0 (on third partition
dev/hda4) (second copy of win95 on second partition, fourth is extended)
I currently boot from floppy
in yast I have set up lilo to dev/hda4 (where linux is) booting from within
the partition
on reboot I get LILO up, then an error message telling me to reboot
I have hidden all partitions except linux and tried again (same error)
I have tried using partition magic as a boot manager still no joy
I have tried LOADLIN from win95 and still get it wrong

any help would be grateful

win95 & linux (lilo) boot problems

Post by Jason Kirche » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

    The method I am using right now is using loadlin.  The way I do it,
however, is by setting up a boot menu in config.sys.  When I ran Win98 and
used "Reboot to MS-DOS mode", my plug-and-play cards were messed up.  The
thing here is that it really doesn't reboot the system - it just unloads the
GUI and the 32-bit drivers.  What I did (at first, before I used a boot menu)
is held down Shift-F5 before "Starting Windows 98..." appears.  This puts you
in DOS mode with no drivers, no nothing - I don't even think himem.sys is
loaded.  From there I loaded Linux using loadlin.
    The drawback that I don't like about LILO is that the kernel must be
located within the first 1024 cylinders of the hard drive.  The only way to
guarantee that is to partition your drive with the first partition
encompassing just the first 1024 cylinders, and the rest of the drive as
another partition (apart from swap partitions, of course).  Sloppy.  Loadlin
lets me run any sound card "kicking" programs necessary before loading Linux,
ie programs that set the io addr, irq, etc. on plug-and-play Micro$haft cards.

    Enough ranting.  If you want to try sticking to Loadlin (recommended for
reasons given above),  I recommend you make a boot menu in your config.sys
file, and modify your autoexec.bat file accordingly.  For testing, you can
boot straight to DOS by holding down Shift-F5 before "Starting Windows 95..."
appears on your screen.  I don't have enough experience with LILO to be of any
help there.

--
                                        -Jason Kircher

win95 & linux (lilo) boot problems

Post by Wilhelm Wienema » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

alt.os.linux with the following:

Quote:> I am using win95 (on first partition) & suse 5.0 (on third partition
> dev/hda4) (second copy of win95 on second partition, fourth is extended)
> I currently boot from floppy in yast I have set up lilo to dev/hda4
> (where linux is) booting from within the partition on reboot I get LILO
> up, then an error message telling me to reboot I have hidden all
> partitions except linux and tried again (same error) I have tried using
> partition magic as a boot manager still no joy I have tried LOADLIN from
> win95 and still get it wrong

> any help would be grateful

Did you run /sbin/lilo?
After setting up LILO in MBR or in a partition and modify your
LILO configuration in /etc/lilo.conf you have to run /sbin/lilo
-----------------------> cut here <------------------------ -
:r /usr/doc/lilo-0.20/README

[...]
  - Run /sbin/lilo _whenever_ the kernel or any part of LILO, including its
    configuration file, has changed. When in doubt, run it. You can't run
    /sbin/lilo too many times.
-----------------------> cut here <------------------------ -

bye - Wilhelm

--

Quote:>>>>>>>>> Wilhelm Wienemann, Amselweg 10, D-47546 Kalkar/Germany <<<<<<<<<

"And since you are the future keepers of everything, including music, we
 hope you will keep it well, with love, and in joy." (Frederick Fennell)

1. BOOTING LINUX && WIN95 WITH LILO?

I was wondering if anyone has both Linux and the Windows 95 beta on their
system, and if LILO will still boot them both.

--
#########################  Stephen B. Pippy  ###########################

###  Computer Science & Department of Computing and Communications  ####
################  Memorial University of Newfoundland  #################

2. Looking for a color displayer under X

3. LILO & win95 & dos & Linux

4. change printer from portiat to to landscape

5. Dual boot w/LILO: Linux(hda) & win95(hdc)

6. 'spurious APIC interrupt' - Dell PowerEdge 1400

7. LILO+BM+Win95 mostly ok, 2nd LILO hosed by booting Linux?

8. Mouse Problems

9. Win95 boot problems on multi-boot LILO system

10. LILO: Dual boot Linux drive+Win95 drive problem

11. problem: lilo w/ hda(linux) & sda(win95)

12. LILO - WIN95 - ?? MBR overwritten & no boot disk

13. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?