Jumbo hard drives-there's gotta be an easier way

Jumbo hard drives-there's gotta be an easier way

Post by ranter on the picnic tab » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I bought Red Hat 5.2 and easily installed it on my old P120 system
with a 1.7 gigabyte hard drive. Now I have a PII-450 system with a
jumbo 12 gig HD. After a week of trying to install Red Hat 5.2 on the
new system, I learned quite a few things, such as the fact that Linux
is opposite of Windoze- when you buy a new computer, you have to go
out and find a new Linux kernel that will support the newer features;
while each new release of Windoze forces you to go out and buy a whole
new computer to make room for (and keep up with the speed needed to
run) its massively bloated code.

Here's what I wished to do: Split my 12 gig drive into thirds and set
up the first two for Win 98 and the third for Linux. Of course, it
didn't work. I found out the bootable partition for Linux has to be
below the 1024th cylinder. So I changed my plan, and tried making
Linux the first 4 gigs, with Win98 after that, since the FAT32x
partition can go past the 1024 cylinder limit. That didn't work,
either. DOS fdisk didn't see the rest of the drive after the 1024th
cylinder with the Linux partition installed first. And besides that,
Red Hat's Disk Druid reported the partition table as being corrupt
after using either fdisk anyway. So how do I divvy up my hard drive so
Win98 and Linux can coexist peacefully and use the whole 12 gigs? I
need step-by-step instructions, such as where to find the latest Linux
fdisk that will work with drives greater than 1024 cylinders (if it
exists), and how to save it to a floppy along with the necessary files
for booting (newbie alert! newbie alert!). Assume I'm working with a
bare unpartitioned drive and won't be needing Partition Magic to
resize existing partitions (I have version 3.0)

I guess what I'm really looking for is a generic setup utility (not a
distributor specific automated install disk- that's what is failing me
now) that works for all Linux distributions that will partition and
format the whole 12 gigs with the FAT32x and Linux partitions in their
specified locations, and then allow Red Hat's Disk Druid to recognize
them. Is there such a beast out there?

Jumbo hard drives-there's gotta be an easier way

Post by Stefan Ehl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Here's what I wished to do: Split my 12 gig drive into thirds and set
> up the first two for Win 98 and the third for Linux. Of course, it
> didn't work. I found out the bootable partition for Linux has to be
> below the 1024th cylinder. So I changed my plan, and tried making
> Linux the first 4 gigs, with Win98 after that, since the FAT32x
> partition can go past the 1024 cylinder limit. That didn't work,
> either. DOS fdisk didn't see the rest of the drive after the 1024th
> cylinder with the Linux partition installed first. And besides that,
> Red Hat's Disk Druid reported the partition table as being corrupt
> after using either fdisk anyway. So how do I divvy up my hard drive so
> Win98 and Linux can coexist peacefully and use the whole 12 gigs? I
> need step-by-step instructions, such as where to find the latest Linux
> fdisk that will work with drives greater than 1024 cylinders (if it
> exists), and how to save it to a floppy along with the necessary files
> for booting (newbie alert! newbie alert!). Assume I'm working with a
> bare unpartitioned drive and won't be needing Partition Magic to
> resize existing partitions (I have version 3.0)

> I guess what I'm really looking for is a generic setup utility (not a
> distributor specific automated install disk- that's what is failing me
> now) that works for all Linux distributions that will partition and
> format the whole 12 gigs with the FAT32x and Linux partitions in their
> specified locations, and then allow Red Hat's Disk Druid to recognize
> them. Is there such a beast out there?

Yes there are!!! I suggest to use either XFDISK or ranish partition
manager:

 http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/4090/index.html
 http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/

I have good experiences with both of them. At the moment, I prefer XFDISK
because it's easier to use and has a nicer boot manager.

CU
Stefan

Post by blackball.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Here's what I wished to do: Split my 12 gig drive into thirds and set
> up the first two for Win 98 and the third for Linux. Of course, it
> didn't work. I found out the bootable partition for Linux has to be
> below the 1024th cylinder.

As long as your hard drive specs are set up correctly in BIOS, LILO
should be able to see the first 8.4 GB of your harddrive.  What you can
do then is to make a primary DOS partition and an extended DOS partition
that adds up to just less than 8.4 GB.  Then you can make a really small
ext2fs partition completely under the 1024 cylinder limit, to be mounted
as /boot, which will hold your kernel image.  The rest of your Linux
files can be on another ext2fs partition mounted as /.  It shouldn't
matter if this is past the 1024 cylinder limit or not.  The only problem
with this is that you won't be able to make another partition for swap.
The only solutions I can think of is 1) not have a separate swap
partition (but this isn't very good) 2) make just one huge FAT32
partition for Win98, instead of two--then you can make a separate swap
partition or 3) leave space on your extended DOS partition to be used as
swap (but I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it will work)

Quote:> So I changed my plan, and tried making
> Linux the first 4 gigs, with Win98 after that, since the FAT32x
> partition can go past the 1024 cylinder limit. That didn't work,
> either.

Win98 always has to boot off the first partition.  If you are intent on
having two partitions for Windows, without having to make separate
ext2fs partitions as above, maybe you can try putting Linux in between
the two DOS partitions (but then it has to be completely under the 1024
cylinder limit)

Quote:> I need step-by-step instructions, such as where to find the latest
> Linux fdisk that will work with drives greater than 1024 cylinders (if
> it exists)

Linux's fdisk shouldn't have any problems with the 1024 cylinder
barrier--the version I've used is 2.9n.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. can't mount hard second hard drive

I recently installed SCO Open Server 5 on a new hard drive and put it in
the machine with the idea of copying the user files from the current
drive, which is going bad, to the new drive.  The problem is I can't
mount any of the new drive partitions on the current disk.

Here's the configuration:

original drive:
    name=disk vec=- dma=- type=S ha=0 id=0 lun=0 bus=0 ht=alad
    name=Sdsk vec=- dma=- cyls=4096 hds=64 secs=32 fts=sdb

new drive:
    name=disk vec=- dma=- type=S ha=0 id=4 lun=0 bus=0 ht=alad
    name=Sdsk vec=- dma=- cyls=2047 hds=64 secs=32 fts=sdb

The SCSI system finds the new drive at boot time and divvy will give
me the partition table and shows the drive as having valid filesystems.

To install the new disk I did and "mkdev hd", relinked the kernel,
rebooted and did the "mkdev hd" again.  There were no errors reported
along the way.

Trying to mount a partition with:
    mount /dev/dsk/2s3 /mnt
fails with the message:
    mount: cannot stat '/dev/dsk/2s3': No such device or address (error 6)

The device files exist.  Trying to mount using scoadmin also results
in failure.

Is there something I missed, something I'm doing wrong?  Any ideas?

-Erik

2. LAN to internet, how do that??

3. HELP - Can't get Colorado Jumbo 350 tape drive to work

4. network printing

5. Hard drive setup: am I OK, or asking for trouble?

6. Missing crt1.o file

7. Jumbo-250 Floppy Tape Drive Doesn't Like FujiFilm Tapes

8. Getting network adapter to work

9. Hard drive setup: am I OK, or asking for trouble?

10. copying hard drive to hard drive

11. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

12. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

13. Hard Drive to Hard Drive Copy