Win95 boot probs with Linux partition on disk

Win95 boot probs with Linux partition on disk

Post by Arno Schoed » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi folks,

I got problems booting Win95 when I have Linux installed on an
extended partition. I have five partitions on an Atlas 4 GB SCSI
hard disk, the first three of them are VFAT, including the boot
partition, the 4th one is a Linux swap partition, Linux data
on the fifth. All are installed as extended partitions (or logical
drives, using DOS terminology). DOS 7 (yeah, the one that comes with
Win95) boots correctly, Win95 crashes during startup before the GUI
screen comes up. If I erase the Linux partitions Win95 boots ok.
Anyone having an idea?

Thanks,

Arno

Win95 boot probs with Linux partition on disk

Post by Josh Sargen » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi folks,

> I got problems booting Win95 when I have Linux installed on an
> extended partition. I have five partitions on an Atlas 4 GB SCSI
> hard disk, the first three of them are VFAT, including the boot
> partition, the 4th one is a Linux swap partition, Linux data
> on the fifth. All are installed as extended partitions (or logical
> drives, using DOS terminology). DOS 7 (yeah, the one that comes with
> Win95) boots correctly, Win95 crashes during startup before the GUI
> screen comes up. If I erase the Linux partitions Win95 boots ok.
> Anyone having an idea?

Similar problem here...but with only 2 partitions, and I don't have to
delete the Lynux partions to get the Win95 GUI to load anymore. (don't ask
me what I did...)   I think it has something to do with LILO...but am not
sure. So I tried to make both of the floppies suggested in Linux setup, but
when I try to boot from them, Win95 just loads as normal.  If anybody can
help me here, I'd appreciate it....thanks.

Josh

Post by Bryan Cha » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> extended partition. I have five partitions on an Atlas 4 GB SCSI
> hard disk, the first three of them are VFAT, including the boot
> partition, the 4th one is a Linux swap partition, Linux data
> on the fifth. All are installed as extended partitions (or logical
> drives, using DOS terminology). DOS 7 (yeah, the one that comes with

You must have at least one primary partition on which Win95 must reside
for Win95 to boot correctly.  Re-partition your disk so that Win95 sits
in the first partition, which must be primary, and the rest can follow
along on an extended partition.  By the way, extended and logical
partitions are two things; do not let DOS terminology confuse you.  As
far as I understand, logical partitions are the "real" partitions that
get mounted as filesystems.  The extended partition on a disk is the
area of the disk that contains only logical partitions.  It is not used
for mounting, reading or writing.

              http://www-ug.eecg.toronto.edu/~chanb/