Drivers for SMC PCI EtherPower

Post by Aaron David Tec » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

Do these exist?  If so, where do I get the patches, etc.

thanks.

Aaron.

Drivers for SMC PCI EtherPower

Post by Derric Sco » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Do these exist?  If so, where do I get the patches, etc.

>thanks.

>Aaron.

They are two built into the standard kernel.  One is the
de4x5 driver and the other is by Donald Becker.  You may want to
check out his home page for more info.  His URL and more information
is in the Ethernet-HOWTO.

NOW... I've not been able to get far enuf to check out the drivers
yet because I'm having trouble with my PCI bios setting the Interrupts
the same for the SMC and my Buslogic.  I'm using a Micron P5-90
with a Micronics motherboard with Phoenix bios.  If anyone out there
has any ideas about that sort of problem let me know!  The contents
of my /proc/pci show:

PCI devices found :
Bus  0 Device   0 Function  0.
    Host bridge : Intel 82434LX Mercury/Neptune (rev 17).
Bus  0 Device   2 Function  0.
    Old unidentified device : Intel 82378IB (rev 3).
Bus  0 Device   3 Function  0.
    IDE controller : CMD 640A (rev 2). 8259's interrupt 14.
Bus  0 Device  13 Function  0.
    SCSI bus controller : Bus Logic 946C (rev 0). 8259's interrupt 9.
Bus  0 Device  15 Function  0.
    Ethernet controller : DEC DC21040 (rev 35). 8259's interrupt 9.

and /proc/interrupts:
 0: 10098316   timer
 1:    46556   keyboard
 2:        0 + cascade
 9:  2214661 + buslogic
10:  3025400   ne2000
13:        1   math error

and segment of boot log:
May 12 11:44:01 koala kernel: BusLogic SCSI: buslogic_detect:
        configuring PCI HA at port 0x330, IRQ 9, BIOS 0xDC000, ID 7
May 12 11:34:18 koala kernel: eth0: DE435 at 0xfc80 (PCI device 13),
                                    h/w address 00:00:c0:76:42:0e,
May 12 11:34:18 koala kernel:       and requires IRQ9 (not probed).

May 12 11:34:18 koala kernel: de4x5_open(): Requested IRQ9 is busy

Later!

Derric

--
Derric Scott          Scott Network Services, Inc.         P. O. Box 361353

Post by Yuqun C » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

: NOW... I've not been able to get far enuf to check out the drivers
: yet because I'm having trouble with my PCI bios setting the Interrupts
: the same for the SMC and my Buslogic.  I'm using a Micron P5-90
: with a Micronics motherboard with Phoenix bios.  If anyone out there
: has any ideas about that sort of problem let me know!  The contents
: of my /proc/pci show:

: --
: Derric Scott          Scott Network Services, Inc.         P. O. Box 361353

I've encountered the same problem here. In my case, it is a Gateway2000
P100XL. It has AHA2940 PCI SCSI adapter and SMC EtherPower PCI ethernet
adapter. Both are configured automatically to use the same interrupt
number. Is there any idea to deal with such plug-and-not-play situation?

Thanks in advance.

-Yuqun

Drivers for SMC PCI EtherPower

Post by Larry Brinto » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

There's a conflict between your SCSI adapter and PCI ethernet card. If
you identify that there is an ISA card in IRQ 9 in your BIOS, your Buslogic
will select another IRQ, and leave IRQ 9 for your PCI ethernet card.

...Larry

Drivers for SMC PCI EtherPower

Post by Derric Sco » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>There's a conflict between your SCSI adapter and PCI ethernet card. If
>you identify that there is an ISA card in IRQ 9 in your BIOS, your Buslogic
>will select another IRQ, and leave IRQ 9 for your PCI ethernet card.

Thanks for the suggestion - it looks like a good one!  However, how
do I "identify that there is an ISA card in IRQ 9" in the BIOS?  I'll
look, but I don't remember anything like that.... the Phoenix BIOS
seems pretty bare-bones as far as options go..

Thanks again!

Derric
--
Derric Scott          Scott Network Services, Inc.         P. O. Box 361353

Drivers for SMC PCI EtherPower

Post by Derric Sco » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

>: NOW... I've not been able to get far enuf to check out the drivers
>: yet because I'm having trouble with my PCI bios setting the Interrupts
>: the same for the SMC and my Buslogic.  I'm using a Micron P5-90
>: with a Micronics motherboard with Phoenix bios.  If anyone out there
>: has any ideas about that sort of problem let me know!  The contents

>I've encountered the same problem here. In my case, it is a Gateway2000
>P100XL. It has AHA2940 PCI SCSI adapter and SMC EtherPower PCI ethernet
>adapter. Both are configured automatically to use the same interrupt
>number. Is there any idea to deal with such plug-and-not-play situation?

>Thanks in advance.

>-Yuqun

Ok, that's two of us!  Doesn't the GW 2000 also use a Micronics
Motherboard?  Does **ANYONE** out there have PCI SCSI and SMC
Etherpower PCI working on a Micronics motherboard/Phoenix BIOS?

TIA!

Derric
--
Derric Scott          Scott Network Services, Inc.         P. O. Box 361353

Drivers for SMC PCI EtherPower

Post by Derric Sco » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

OK, I worked on this problem some this morning and have a little
more data.  Perhaps someone can point us in the right direction
with this below...

>: ... I'm having trouble with my PCI bios setting the Interrupts
>: the same for the SMC and my Buslogic.  I'm using a Micron P5-90
>: with a Micronics motherboard with Phoenix bios. ...
>:

>I've encountered the same problem here. In my case, it is a Gateway2000
>P100XL. It has AHA2940 PCI SCSI adapter and SMC EtherPower PCI ethernet
>adapter. Both are configured automatically to use the same interrupt
>number. Is there any idea to deal with such plug-and-not-play situation?
>-Yuqun

Originally my computer assigned IRQ 11 to my Buslogic BT-946C and
IRQ 11 to the SMC EtherPower PCI.  Nothing I did made any difference,
and there are precious few (NONE) options in the Phoenix BIOS regarding
PCI.

MICRON Tech Sup recommended upgrading to a newer BIOS.  This newer
BIOS also sets the interrupts in a different order.  Well, after this
upgrade, both boards got IRQ 9.

I changed to a third BIOS version and it went back to IRQ 11 for both.

One observation is that it appears that the SMC is never "seen" by
the BIOS.  I believe in all cases above, the BusLogic is getting
the first IRQ that the BIOS is going to assign (REGARDLESS OF WHICH
SLOT IT IS IN).  (Normally the IRQs are assigned in a slot order, to
the first board found by the BOIS).  I.e., the Buslogic never gets
the "2nd" IRQ, even if it is the "2nd" board (therefore the SMC
isn't "seen").

It appears to me as if either the Phoenix BIOS or the SMC or both
aren't playing the PCI game correctly!  Are there any examples of
Pheonix with other PCI ethernet or vice versa to help narrow down
the culprit?

Anyone got any more ideas to try???????

Oh for the good ol' days of jumpers!!!!!!

Later!

Derric

--
Derric Scott          Scott Network Services, Inc.         P. O. Box 361353

Drivers for SMC PCI EtherPower

Post by Yuqun C » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

I swapped the PCI slots for the SMC EtherPower PCI card and the
AHA2490 PCI adapter. Now that SMC is on slot1 and AHA2490 on slot2.
This time the PCI cards get their own IRQ 10 and 11 respectively,
showing by 'cat /proc/pci'.

However, 'cat /proc/interrupts' and 'cat /proc/ioports' do not show
anything for SMC board.

Making a little progress though, I still can't load the de4x5.o
module because I don't have the ioport information and the autoprobing
seems not working.

Do you use the IS_NOT_DEC option for de4x5 driver?

As you have suggested, somebody must not playing the game right and
turn the plug-and-paly fantasy into a plug-and-suck nightmare.

Regards,

[...]

I've solved my problem by trial-and-errer. It may only works for
the Gateway2000 P5-100XL + AHA2490 SCSI PCI + SMC EtherPower PCI
+ ATI Mach64 PCI combination.

Here is what I did to my system:

1. run the BIOS setup. I have interrupts 5,9-11 available for PCI cards.
   My machine is shipped with only interrupt 9 available. The other IRQ's
   were set to be used by ISA cards which is not true.

2. move the PCI cards around such that SMC cards on slot-1 and AHA2490
   on slot-2. If I had AHA2490 on the first slot and SMC on the second,
   then both cards will always get the same IRQ. Obviously, the order
   of the cards makes a difference in the autoprobe process (shouldn't
   be). The slot position of the ATI cards is not significant as long
   as SMC card is ahead of AHA2490 card.
   (Thanks to Scott's hint about the order of PCI detection)

3. I used the de4x5 driver without success, trying both IS_NOT_DEC option
   defined or not. The de4x5_probe() failed citing it could not find the
   device at 0x000b. (The SMC is on bus 0 device 13)

4. I switched to use Tulip driver ... and I am happy there after.
   The eth0 is found at address 0xf880 with irq=10.

So, that is my story. It is time to wrap it up.

Good luck to rest of you.

-Yuqun

Post by Russell Bro » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

>>Do these exist?  If so, where do I get the patches, etc.

>They are two built into the standard kernel.  One is the
>de4x5 driver and the other is by Donald Becker.  You may want to
>check out his home page for more info.  His URL and more information
>is in the Ethernet-HOWTO.

I found the de4x5 driver worked once I set the NON_DEC compile time
flag.  The other driver seemed to work but didn't autodetect the 10Base2
cable I'm using (there's a comment in the code that comes with 1.2.8
about not understanding this bit but the 4x5 driver does do autodetect).

FYI I'm using it on a Elite Group SI54P motherboard with Phoenix Bios
and a DPI 2124.

--
Regards,
        Russell

| Lady Lodge Systems     | PHONE: 01832 272224 (Home/Work it's all the same)|

Post by Super Us » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

>It appears to me as if either the Phoenix BIOS or the SMC or both
>aren't playing the PCI game correctly!  Are there any examples of
>Pheonix with other PCI ethernet or vice versa to help narrow down
>the culprit?

Yes.  SMC Etherpower, DPT 2124 SCSI controller on an Elite Group SI54P
M/B P100 with SiS chipset and Phoenix Bios (version number 4.04).

With this setup, I can assign particular INTs to PCI slots and all works
fine - I just set the IRQ's; didn't bother with plug and pray.  FYI the
SMC is on IRQ 10, the DPT on 14 and there's also a Diamond S3 PCI card
on the bus.

--
Regards,
        Russell

| Lady Lodge Systems     | PHONE: 01832 272224 (Home/Work it's all the same)|

Drivers for SMC PCI EtherPower

Post by Derric Sco » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

Thanks for the info Russel (earlier in this thread).  A note:

>>There are two built into the standard kernel.  One is the
>>de4x5 driver and the other is by Donald Becker.  You may
>I found the de4x5 driver worked once I set the NON_DEC compile time
>flag.  The other driver seemed to work but didn't autodetect the 10Base2
>cable I'm using (there's a comment in the code that comes with 1.2.8
>about not understanding this bit but the 4x5 driver does do autodetect).

I just looked at Donald Becker's home page and downloaded a new version
of the "Tulip" driver (0.07). It says it can handle the 10Base2 autodetect.
The version in the 1.2.8 kernel is 0.05.

(Still haven't got mine working tho' - Seems my combo gives me NO options
to set things manually and doesn't do it right automatically).

Later!

Derric
--
Derric Scott          Scott Network Services, Inc.         P. O. Box 361353

Drivers for SMC PCI EtherPower

Post by Derric Sco » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

>I've solved my problem by trial-and-errer. It may only works for
>the Gateway2000 P5-100XL + AHA2490 SCSI PCI + SMC EtherPower PCI
>+ ATI Mach64 PCI combination.

... detail omitted, see previous post.

Quote:>-Yuqun

I've finally gotten it working!!!

Just as Yuqun above, I put the SMC first, my Buslogic second.
I don't know if that is a *requirement*, but that's how it
worked.

Then I made sure that the Motherboard Phoenix BIOS had the
"Plug N Play" option marked as "Yes."  This was probably the
key.  The default is "No" and I'd reloaded the BIOS several
times so I'm not sure which combo's I'd tried...

The SMC picked up IRQ 11 and the Buslogic got IRQ 9 and everybody
was happy.

Also, I downloaded Donald Becker's newest verion (0.07) of
the Tulip driver yesterday too...  don't know if it had anything
to do with it or not....

Data Point:
The SMC behaves funny without the BIOS "Plug N Play" enabled.
It seems to choose (or be given?) the same interrupt as the
other (first?) board on the bus.  The Buslogic seems to behave
quite well tho'.

Details:
        Micron P5-90, PCI
        Micronics Motherboard/Phooenix BIOS
        BusLogic BT-946C PCI SCSI Controller
        SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Controller
        Generic Trident ISA SVGA
        Linux 1.2.8 with newest Tulip driver (0.07)

Finally!

Derric

--

Post by Olivier FURLA » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>>There's a conflict between your SCSI adapter and PCI ethernet card. If
>>you identify that there is an ISA card in IRQ 9 in your BIOS, your Buslogic
>>will select another IRQ, and leave IRQ 9 for your PCI ethernet card.

>Thanks for the suggestion - it looks like a good one!  However, how
>do I "identify that there is an ISA card in IRQ 9" in the BIOS?  I'll
>look, but I don't remember anything like that.... the Phoenix BIOS

Don't forget that IRQ2 == IRQ9...

Olivier FURLAN

Post by Andy Dustma » Sun, 04 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> >: ... I'm having trouble with my PCI bios setting the Interrupts
> >: the same for the SMC and my Buslogic.  I'm using a Micron P5-90
> >: with a Micronics motherboard with Phoenix bios. ...
> >:

I had the same problem today, although my situation was probably more
unpleasant: I was planning to do an NFS install! However, I did
eventually get the system to boot using the mitsumi kernel, but the
standard net kernel would probably work as well. In the end, to boot the
root disk, I used the command:

ramdisk ether=9

which tells the kernel to use IRQ 9. Then it seemed to find it just fine.
I put "ether=9" in the lilo.conf so it would boot from the hard disk and
find the PowerEther board. I've since done the install over NFS and
recompiled the kernel. This is on a Gateway 2000 P5-75, BTW. When you
recompile your kernel, don't bother with the WD/SMC cards, but answer yes
to DE425 and it works fine.

Andy Dustman / Computational Center for Molecular Structure and Design / UGA

            Everything seems like a dream... and life's a scream.
This sig grants the reader a license to adopt my preceding personal opinions.

1. driver for SMC EtherPower PCI net card

Hello,

I'm considering buying an SMC EtherPower PCI ethernet card but I want
to make sure there is a driver for it under linux. The guy selling it
says the model number is SMC8432T and the chipset is Digital
DC1003J. Looking in the code for tulip.c I don't see mention of either
the model number or the chipset. Any hints?

Thanks in advance

--erik

2. Newbie: SSH on Linux from TTSH on W2K Pro....

3. SMC Etherpower PCI driver needed

4. audio.h for Linux?

5. Wanted for 2940 and SMC EtherPower PCI Driver

6. dynamic IPA address assignment & /etc/hosts

7. SMC PCI EtherPower, D4x5 driver questions, P5-90

8. Weird problem with x

9. SMC EtherPower (PCI)

10. Linux Bootdisk for AHA2940 and SMC EtherPower (PCI)

11. SMC EtherPower PCI Ethernet Adapters

12. SMC EtherPower PCI network

13. eth0 detection problems (RH7, SMC EtherPower II PCI (9432))