More Cyls > 1024 questions

Post by John Chap » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 21:49:56

My system:
  Zeos Pantera motherboard, PCI, Pentium-90
  Phoenix Bios
  Buslogic BT946c SCSI Adapter
  Seagate Hawk-2 ST12400N, 2GB hard drive
Loaded Slackware 2.0 from InfoMagic CD of Oct 94.
I have been using the scsi_boot bootdisk, and color144 root disk.

I Have Loaded Linux, and the Word is Cool! -it works great, I love it, etc,
etc, _but_ I always get errors when making partitions above 1024.

When making such partitions higher than 1024, I would get errors in linux
fdisk about different logical & physical starts & ends of my Linux partition.
My first question is: Can I ignore these errors?

Which errors in linux fdisk can be ignored, and which should not?  (How about
the same errors relating to a dos partition?)  And better yet, is there any
way I can _avoid_ these errors...?

Why can't I set sectors to 83?  (Seagate says that my drive has geometry of
2621,19,83.)

If I use "ramdisk hd=2621,19,83" keyin at the boot disk, then I get this error:
hd.c:T-506 Interface disk with more than 16 heads detected, probably due to
non-standard sector translation.  Giving up." when it finishes the boot.  Oh
No!  does this bode unwell for my Seagate drive...?

Should I even _bother_ passing my disk geometry to the ramdisk when booting
from the boot floppy? -and should I use "ramdisk hd=..." or "ramdisk sd=..."
-in light of the fact that I technically don't have an "hd" but an "sd"?

The only way I can make ANY linux partition over the mystical 1024 block, and
not get any * messages is to set my heads to some giant number like 190...
which then appears to ruin my FAT, making the dos fdisk fail with a message to
the effect of "unable to read fixed disk".  So I re-loaded everything from
scratch.

Thanks in advance for any input, and a salute to the Linux "community" in
general!  -this "> 1024" thread has generally been very helpful.

#=====================================================================
John Chapin      "To Exit, Press Enter"

cad sysadmin for the design-challenged

More Cyls > 1024 questions

<
<I Have Loaded Linux, and the Word is Cool! -it works great, I love it, etc,
<etc, _but_ I always get errors when making partitions above 1024.
<
<When making such partitions higher than 1024, I would get errors in linux
<fdisk about different logical & physical starts & ends of my Linux partition.
<My first question is: Can I ignore these errors?

They are not "errors" (do you see the word "error" anywhere in the message?).

Ignore them.  Get a new linux kernel (see .sig) and read README.ide (see .sig).
--

For the latest Linux kernel: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.1
For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  linux-1.1.87/drivers/block/README.ide