changing disk controllers and partition layout

changing disk controllers and partition layout

Post by Jason Venn » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I recently changed from an ncr810 to an adaptec 2940.

Everything works find after some minor tweaking (relilo'ing the boot block).

The only problem I have is that if I run fdisk, it complains bitterly about
partitions not having the same logical and physical start address.

Is there a way to fix this without having to dump/repartition/restore the disk?

Thanks -- Jason
--
"A politician normally prospers under democracy in proportion ... as he
excels in the invention of imaginary perils and imaginary defenses

Post by Andries Brouw » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I recently changed from an ncr810 to an adaptec 2940.

: Everything works find after some minor tweaking (relilo'ing the boot block).

: The only problem I have is that if I run fdisk, it complains bitterly about
: partitions not having the same logical and physical start address.

: Is there a way to fix this without having to dump/repartition/restore the disk?

Fix 1: ignore fdisks complaints.
Fix 2: get fdisk 3.03 - it only complains when there actually is
a problem.

1. changing root partition layout

Hi,
I must repartition root slice :(
Hopefully disk was mirrored with SDS - so I broke the mirror and using one
of it for new one.
Question:
What to use to copy files to new drive:
I tride pax - although on BSD systems it worked for me and although I was
using -pe - it didnt preserve everything :(
cp -p - it didnt work for /dev and /devices/ :(

System is coming up... but there are some problems with software:
 RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection reset by peer

Now I'am trying with tar - is it going to work?
Has anyone done it?

2. .login not executing

3. Need help: PANIC: Cannot find root disk controller after changing disks

4. Linux and Exceed

5. changing my disk layout. Advice needed

6. Unix/win socket connection problem.

7. Netra X1 default disk layout changing?

8. Two adapters, routing problems

9. How do I report my disk grometry and partition layout ?

10. Best way to copy a disks partition physical layout

11. Changing disk controller (x86)

12. Jumpstart - disk controller changes when 2.6 >>> 8

13. moved disk to new controller, partition now empty!!