Fatal Server error:

Post by William O'Nea » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

i installed a new graphics card this morning then  installed a new
xserver as well, XF86_Mach64, for an All-In-Wonder Pro (3D Rage Pro
chipset). now, when I attempt to startx as any user other than root, I
get the following message:

Fatal Server error:
Xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions
You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!

anyone have any ideas? everything was working fine until this morning.
my old graphics card was a number nine imagine 128.

thanks,

wil

Fatal Server error:

Post by Dennis W. Shi » Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:00:00

If you aren't on the direct network, and not worried about security
concerns..
then you can probably just do this from
a root account:  chmod u+s XF86_Mach64

It should work after that.

Quote:> i installed a new graphics card this morning then  installed a new
> xserver as well, XF86_Mach64, for an All-In-Wonder Pro (3D Rage Pro
> chipset). now, when I attempt to startx as any user other than root, I

> get the following message:

> Fatal Server error:
> Xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions
> You should be using Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.
> We strongly advise against making the server SUID root!

> anyone have any ideas? everything was working fine until this morning.

> my old graphics card was a number nine imagine 128.

> thanks,

> wil

1. please help Fatal server error! XKEYBOARD compiler error!

I have been trying to get x windows running after a seemingly successful
install of RH5.2.  Everytime I would run 'startx' I would get a black screen
with the keyboard locked up!

I read in a book to do the following,

X /tmp/x.out 2>&1

to get a post-mortem dump... so the first dump I got was...

xf86OpenConsole error:  Server must be running with root permissions.  You
should be using
Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.

ok, so I did and I got the black screen again running xdm.  a follow-up
post-mortem showed the
following error:

System: '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w
1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm -m us -em1
"The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> " -eml "Errors
from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server"  keymap/xfree86
compiled/xfree86.xkm'

and that is it... black screen and keyboard locked up  can only power down
at this point.

Please help

Dan Orlic

2. SMP lockups using 2.2.9

3. Fatal server error: xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions...

4. How do you put the Linux logo up at boot time?

5. "fatal server error: server must be suid root", what???

6. Getting Solaris on the network

7. fatal server error: xf86OpenConsole: Server must be suid root

8. Password protection?

9. Fatal server error

10. Fatal server error: no valid modes found

11. Fatal Server Error 4.0.1

12. "Fatal server error: No config file found!" ?

13. HELP! Xfree86 fatal server error (no screens found)