Complete Novice (read idiot?)

Post by Steve Hame » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm literally just stating to get interested in Linux.
I intend (unless informed otherwise) to install it on a partition on my
HD.
A couple of questions for you experts out there :

1) I live in the UK. Can anyone recommend a good site to download Linux
from?
2) Can anyone recommend some useful tools, tips, books ?

Any general advise, as basic as you like would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Complete Novice (read idiot?)

Post by Vx_age » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998 18:50:19 +0000, Steve Hamer

>I'm literally just stating to get interested in Linux.
>I intend (unless informed otherwise) to install it on a partition on my
>HD.
>A couple of questions for you experts out there :

>1) I live in the UK. Can anyone recommend a good site to download Linux
>from?

check sunsite.unc.edu or ftp.redhat.com or any other of the mirrors
near you.

Quote:>2) Can anyone recommend some useful tools, tips, books ?

"Linux  in a Nutshell"

Keep a stiff upper lip chap - R. Johnson {always wanted to say that to
a Brit  :)  }

Quote:

>Any general advise, as basic as you like would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks in advance.

Complete Novice (read idiot?)

Post by syno.. » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> On Fri, 30 Jan 1998 18:50:19 +0000, Steve Hamer

> >I'm literally just stating to get interested in Linux.
> >I intend (unless informed otherwise) to install it on a partition on my
> >HD.
> >A couple of questions for you experts out there :

> >1) I live in the UK. Can anyone recommend a good site to download Linux
> >from?
> check sunsite.unc.edu or ftp.redhat.com or any other of the mirrors
> near you.

> >2) Can anyone recommend some useful tools, tips, books ?
> "Linux  in a Nutshell"

> Keep a stiff upper lip chap - R. Johnson {always wanted to say that to
> a Brit  :)  }

> >Any general advise, as basic as you like would be greatly appreciated.

> >Thanks in advance.

yeah if you decide to remove the linux partitions for any reason (wrong
configurations, need larger partitions) remove lilo from the linux
prompt FIRST! been there done that no fun wow

1. Kernel update 4 the complete idiot

I've been happily using linux now for a year plus.  Plugging
along with a 9600 baud delphi connection, no problemo.  And
as they say "if it ain't broke don't fix it", so I didn't.  Now
I'm signed on with a local provider that I can SLIP/PPP to.
I can finaly get to use my spiffy hayes modem at the speeds
I bought it for in the first place.  I'm drooling.  I'm
licking my lips and not my girlfrie.... oops that another
sad story.

So I read the net-2 faq, howto's, nag, etc., and as best I can
tell my linux 1.0.8 has fossilized; so I need to update it.  More
reading revealed that I also need new libs (libc + others) and
that I also need to update my gcc (2.5.8) up to 2.6.2... whew!
This thing is snowballing fast.

What I am looking for is the proper sequence to do this.
Kernel first?
gcc first? last?

Is there an upgrade grid out there somewhere, kind of an X-Y
grid of compatable revision levels?

What is a good solid kernel level to upgrde to? Is 1.1.9x solid ?

Or should I just start over from ground zero? :-(

Any advice or pointers would be helpful before I charge into
this jungle without a machete.

                                       TIA
                                               ja

Jon Aldrich        |     "People aren't wearing enough hats"

2. Konqueror fonts can cause vomiting

3. Complete idiots guide to linux

4. 2.2.1 and shutdown

5. A question from a complete idiot

6. determining desktop

7. Complete idiots guide to linux

8. Looking for a good SCSI HD. Suggestions?

9. Complete Idiot.

10. HELP - Im am a complete idiot!!

11. success!!! from a complete Linux idiot

12. Drsquare admits hes a complete idiot, includes devlin by proxy

13. Why Linux Sucks... Check out this complete idiot................