linux and logitech wheel mouse (ps/2) working OK now - no problem

linux and logitech wheel mouse (ps/2) working OK now - no problem

Post by Greg tokars » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:28:27

Hi,
I just looked for data on making the ps/2 logitech wheel mouse work on
linux, then had some fights with, before making it work, and figured
I'll post what I did, in case someone else is looking ofr yet another
confirmation of doing it.

At this point gmp and X both work with no iwheel or any additional
programs.
Most X apps work fine as well, one that does not at the moment is
netscape 4.77, the new 6.01 (or is it 6.02?) works... so does Opera
and other X apps.

Anyhow, first I played a lot with mouseconfig, eventually I just
selected anything PS/2 to make the /dev/mouse be correct.

In the meantime I disabled (commented out) the x5 line from
/etc/inittab - since if I had a problem with X my box was just
restarting the login forever.
#x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
At this point i did
init q to reread inittab

Later pretty much by hand changed the /etc/sysconfig/mouse to:
MOUSETYPE="imps2"
XMOUSETYPE="IMPS/2"
FULLNAME="Generic Mouse (PS/2)"
XEMU3=no
DEVICE=/dev/mouse

and made sure in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 the mouse configuration looked
like so:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse0"
        # Modified by mouseconfig
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"              "/dev/mouse"
        Option          "Protocol"            "IMPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"     "no"
        Option          "Buttons"             "5"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"                "4 5"
EndSection

In the mean-time I had to reboot twice, i am not sure what happened,
but somehow mouse got so mixed up, that restarting gmp did not help.

Anyhow, by now, I was able to restart gmp (/etc/init.d/gmp restart)
uncomment the runlevel 5 in /etc/inittab, run init q, and all seems to
have worked.

Hope it helps someone, even though it's written like nth time :)

Later.

GregT.

1. Caldera 2.2 and Logitech First Mouse + (w/ Wheel) and MS Wheel Mouse

Sorry that I am posting this question to a few groups.  I need to get the
answer ASAP for a reason ....

I am using Caldera 2.2.  Somehow I can never get the wheel on my Logitech
First Mouse+ to work.  In XF86Setup, I can't find the appropriate driver for
it.  Is there a driver for it at all?  However, choosing MouseManPlus PS/2
seems to allow the mouse to work fine except the wheel is being ignored.

Also, I tried to switch to the MS Wheel mouse (the cheaper one, not
IntelliMouse), and tried to choose IntelliMouse as the driver.  The mouse
behaves like crazy!  Is this not an appropriate driver for it?  Where can I
find a driver for MS Wheel mouse?

Thanks very much in advance.

Patrick.

2. Used AIX?

3. Mouse wheel in Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel

4. Add ssa disk to Raid

5. Logitech cordless wheel mouse center wheel configuration

6. mem= option for broken bioses

7. getting wheel to work with Logitech optical mouse?

8. sendmail problem

9. Logitech Mouse+ (wheel mouse) and X

10. Logitech Wheel Mouse Won't work in Netscape?

11. Grr...can't get Logitech USB Wheel Mouse to work..

12. Is a "wheel" mouse possible in RH 5.2 - Logitech First Mouse +

13. Logitech wheel mouse problems