Can't get SB 16 SCSI CDROM to work, not a block device :(

Can't get SB 16 SCSI CDROM to work, not a block device :(

Post by Brian Haywar » Mon, 26 Jun 1995 04:00:00

hello,
I'm having problems getting the cdrom to work with linux 1.2.10 and the
sb 16 card.  here is the error i get:

# mount /cdrom
mount: /dev/scd0 is not a block device

I have recompiled the kernel with support for the proper adaptec scsi chip,
i think.   Has anyone else seen this problem and (hopefully) fixed it?

thank you!
--
Brian

Post by Robert Eastm » Mon, 26 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Can't get SB 16 SCSI CDROM to work, not a block device :(

>Date: 25 Jun 95 00:13:16 CDT
>hello,
>I'm having problems getting the cdrom to work with linux 1.2.10 and the
>sb 16 card.  here is the error i get:
># mount /cdrom
>mount: /dev/scd0 is not a block device
>I have recompiled the kernel with support for the proper adaptec scsi chip,
>i think.   Has anyone else seen this problem and (hopefully) fixed it?

>thank you!
>--

I have a Tanden CDROM and get the same message on bootup. The Linuxware 1.0
installation manager sees it ok, but when I try to access it by running the
Workman audio CDROM program, it doesn't see it.

Bob

Post by Tom Ro » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

--

Can't get SB 16 SCSI CDROM to work, not a block device :(

Post by Tom Ro » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: hello,
: I'm having problems getting the cdrom to work with linux 1.2.10 and the
: sb 16 card.  here is the error i get:

: # mount /cdrom
: mount: /dev/scd0 is not a block device

: I have recompiled the kernel with support for the proper adaptec scsi chip,
: i think.   Has anyone else seen this problem and (hopefully) fixed it?

: thank you!
: --
: Brian

Are you sure it's recognizing kyour scsi port on bootup.  You should see
something like:
scsi: 1 detected
and later in the boot, it should list your scsi devices.
I had to put a line like
append = "aha152x=0x340,11,7,1"
in my lilo.conf to get linux to recognize my sb16 scsi port.  Don't
forget to rerun lilo after you do this.
This is from memory, and ymmv.  Hope this helps.

--

1. SB 16 CDROM - Help!! :(

My suspect.. Did you install a kernel from Q series (in Slackware or
whatever),in which your CDROM support is included into the kernel?

The kernel install my setup might not have the drivers for your cdrom..
Get a kernel that has ide cdrom (ATAPI) support (in your case, yes)

Good Luck..

: I have been runing Linux for quite sometime without my CDROM. Had to
: install from a mount hd partition.

: I read someone who wrote about how I should install my Creative Quad
: CDROM as a master instead.

: I tried that but when I boot linux, it still won't detect it.
: I also tried editing my /etc/fstab and inserted the line

: '/dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 ro' but it didn't work.

: I then used the boot and root disk and it workks fine and detected my
: CDROM. It went something like that : -

: .....
: ide1:secondary interface on irq 15
: ide0:primary interface on irq 14
: .....

: When I went into setup and tried setting the source, it detected
: the drive on /dev/hdc.

: But when I exiting out and re-booted, it still shows :

: .....
: ide0:primary interface on irq 14
: .....

: and did not detect it at ide1 and hince didn't work.

: Can someone please help! I have read the HOWTO and it's of
: no help!

: kevin

--
Michael
--

------------------------------------
My few wishes this month:

2. 'sed' for Binary Files

3. CDROM still won't work (not a block device)

4. Second Disk Drive

5. mp3's not working for sb vibra 16

6. Why Problems?

7. Yggdrasil Summer '94: Doesn't use CDROM controlled by SB-16

8. file names

9. device driver for SB-16 SCSI interface

10. Problems getting SB 16 to work

11. Another SB-16 problem << MOUNT POINT \cdrom DOES NOT EXIST >>

12. SB 16 PnP: 8-bit sound works, 16-bit sound broken?

13. SB 16 SCSI II and CD-Rom's