'make' won't work w/o '-f Makefile', which sucks.

'make' won't work w/o '-f Makefile', which sucks.

Post by Ryan McGui » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I have recently upgraded to the 2.0.0 kernel, and went to install ppp support,
: which I forgot to do up front, and found that 'make' told me that there were
: no rules for the option I had chosen, or something.

: It works fine if I use:

:         make -f Makefile zImage

: excepting, of course, that make zImage calls make without the -f option,
: thereby generating the aformentioned error.

: According to make's man page, man looks for GNUmakefile, makefile, and
: Makefile by default... what the hell is going on with my system?

You need to get a new version of make. You can get if from:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/devel/make/make-3.74-direntfix-elf.tgz

Ryan

--
Ryan McGuire  (http://voyager.abac.com/~rmcguire)
Programming Supervisor for PiXELiTE Software (http://www.tripod.com/~PiXELiTE)

Post by Jeff Pauls » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I have recently upgraded to the 2.0.0 kernel, and went to install ppp support,
which I forgot to do up front, and found that 'make' told me that there were
no rules for the option I had chosen, or something.

It works fine if I use:

        make -f Makefile zImage

excepting, of course, that make zImage calls make without the -f option,
thereby generating the aformentioned error.

According to make's man page, man looks for GNUmakefile, makefile, and
Makefile by default... what the hell is going on with my system?

        Thanks in advance,

        Technical Director
        InterGroupMedia

1. Redhat 7.1 'eepro100' and 'e100' drivers won't see 10BaseT network

I have a Dell 1550 machine which supposedly contains an OEM Intel LAN
interface.  I installed Redhat Linux 7.1 on it.  (Actually the updated
one from www.tummy.com/krud.)  During installation the LAN interfaces
were recognized as needing eepro100 drivers.  Following Dell's
instructions, I replaced the reference to eepro100 in /etc/modules.conf
with e100 and rebooted.  But neither before or after doing the above
will the machine talk in any way with a 10BaseT hub, even though the
boot-time scripts show '[OK]' for eth0 (and eth1).

This machine is currently at a location with no 100BaseT, so I haven't
tested to see if it will do 100BaseT.

Is there any known problem with these machines related to 10BaseT?

Note that 'man eepro100' and 'man e100' turned up nothing, so it appears
that these particular device drivers are undocumented.  Nor did various
searches for e100 and eepro100 at www.redhat.com and www.dell.com turn
up anything relevant to this problem.

Nor could I find any argument to 'ifconfig' that was able to force the
LAN interface into 10BaseT mode.  I had figured that all LAN interfaces
described as 10/100 would autonegotiate, but this one apparently does
not.

Suggestions would be welcome.  Please post or email as you consider
appropriate, but not both. Thank-you.
--
Rahul

2. X VESA & EDID's

3. m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'

4. ibcs2 installation help request

5. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

6. Modem, serial ports and X.

7. 'batch' and 'at' don't work

8. Multiple runs in the background.

9. 'make' and 'gcc' don't work

10. 'stty -opost' or 'stty -onlcr' don't work ?!

11. 'ppp-on' Works, 'ifup ppp0' Doesn't

12. why won't scripts work unless i 'source' them?

13. The command 'rcp' won't work???