METAFONT within Linux

Post by Alastair G. Brow » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have installed Linux on my PC (Compaq 486) fairly recently because I
hate DOS. Packages installed include gcc/g++ and LaTeX.

Firstly, with the installation disks for gcc, (the d* series) the
computer asks for a "disk d10". I cannot find the contents of such a
disk within the site I get the rest of linux
from. (ftp.uakom.sk:/pub/os/linux/slackware/ ) Is there such a things
as a "d10" disk and if so how do I get it? gcc/g++ seems to run OK
without it though, as do the other utilities on the d* disk set.

Secondly, this one's for a TeX fiend---LaTeX2e seems to work no
problem at all. The problem comes when I want to produce a Postscript
file with dvips.

Everything runs OK up until the point that METAFONT is invoked. I then
get the message from gf2pk that font ****.gf cannot be found. Upon
investigation, I found that if I try to run METAFONT on it's own, it
throws an error to the effect that it cannot load library "libX.so.6".

This I presume is an X-windows library, (because of the "X"). I have
not installed X-windows and have no intention of doing so until I get
my hands on a larger hard disk (would about 1/2G -- 1G do?).

I have tried altering the settings of env. vars. MFTERM and TERM as I
believe that this can affect the operation of METAFONT but it hasn't
made any difference.

I have checked all the obvious things, like are the bases and .tfm
files present (they are) and are they in the correct place (once again
they are).

I have come to the conclusion that either I am missing something as
regards the setup or that I require this libX.so.6 library. I would
find it hard to believe that one must install X-windows in order to
produce documents!

Maybe the first problem with the abscence of the d10 disk is related?

Please Help!!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Although I am quite comfortable with Unix, I am probably not up
to the same level of knowledge, as regards system admin, as some of you
are, so please keep it reasonably simple ;-)

                         There are things known,
                      And there are things unknown
                      And in between are the Doors.

METAFONT within Linux

Post by Timothy Murp » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>it throws an error to the effect that it cannot load library "libX.so.6".
>This I presume is an X-windows library, (because of the "X"). I have
>not installed X-windows and have no intention of doing so until I get
>my hands on a larger hard disk (would about 1/2G -- 1G do?).
>I have tried altering the settings of env. vars. MFTERM and TERM as I
>believe that this can affect the operation of METAFONT but it hasn't
>made any difference.

Unfortunately, unixTeX mf (Metafont) by default requires X windows.
[This is because mf is used for designing fonts.]
It is possible to compile mf so that X is not required,
by adding the switch -DNO_X11WIN.
I'm not sure if any of the distributed versions for Linux have done this.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

METAFONT within Linux

Post by Tasos Drosopoul » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Both teTeX and NTeX have binaries of METAFONT that do not require X. teTeX
is smaller. You might try and see if it does what you want.

*  Anastasios (Tasos) Drosopoulos                 phone: (613) 998-2859  *
*  Standard Disclaimer: My opinions are my own    FAX:   (613) 990-8906  *

1. How do I setup Metafont to work under Linux

I recently set up a linux box running Dabian.
I use the wmaker GUI. The program 'mf' does not behave
as described in the metafont book by knuth.

When I type the command 'showit', which is suppose
to show the graphic which I just drew, I get a white
screen and I have to restart X.

I was wondering if anyody has any solutions ?

Thanks,

Thanks a million

2. evil video flicker with Netscape

3. llogo, MetaFont code for a Linux logo

4. GUI admin tools

5. How to build Metafont on Linux

6. cachefs synchronization problem

7. METAFONT on Linux -- can

8. log manager

9. MetaFont with Linux (T Disk Series: TeX) Wants Library 'libXt.so.6'

10. xdvi, metafont and redhat linux 3.0.3

11. within a dtterm, how to search within the window?

12. MetaFont?

13. xdvi, metafont, 4.3.3