Problem using Ghostscript/Epson Printer

Post by A. Smi » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Alan Smith

Problem using Ghostscript/Epson Printer

Post by A. Smi » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: : I am having a problem printing to an Epson FX-1050 using andrew ez word processor. The file can be viewed just
fine with ez, ghostscript, and ghostview. But when trying to print, it prints out all of the postscript
code.  Any suggestions???

: P.S. - The Epson device does show up under Ghostscript.

Post by Jim Po » Thu, 24 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>: : I am having a problem printing to an Epson FX-1050 using andrew ez word processor. The file
> can be viewed just
> fine with ez, ghostscript, and ghostview. But when trying to print, it prints out all of the postscript
> code.  Any suggestions???

I'm not famaliar with the epson fx-1050, but I use a panasonic which
emulates a epson 9-pin.

I print with gs with no problems from ez files:

1) Save the ez file, say file.ez (though I use file.doc)
2) ez2ps file.ez file.ps
3) gs -sDEVICE=epson -sOUTPUTFILE=file.lpr file.ps
4) lpr file.lpr

What this does is convert the ez file to a postscript file.  Then,
ghostscript converts the postscript file to something an epson 9pin
print understands, and put's it into another file.  Then, I simply lpr
that file.  There is supposed to be a way to get the output directly
to the printer via a pipe, but I'm missing something so I'm doing it
manually <shrug=don't print many documents>.

Optinally you can add a line -r(x)x(y) to affect the resolution.  It's
listed in the man page for gs.  The other thing I found, and this I
DON'T even begin to understand, is that OUTPUTFILE has to be in all
caps, even though the manpage lists it as having the form  of
OutPutFile <grin>.

There are several options for differing type of epson printers.

One thing I haven't tried yet is to work on is some lines in the
preference file, specifically the lines:

*.FormatCommand: /usr/andrew/etc/atkprint /tmp/%s.n |
*.PrintCommand lpr - P$PRINTER

hMMM, I meant the atkprint file (I think?).  Anyway, I'm going to over
the next few days work on the FormatCommand to set if I can get gs to
work there... ahh, the joys of two whole weeks off!!!

later,
          Jim Tom Polk                     | Onward thru the

          http://www.earthlink.net/~jtpolk | Oat Willie, 1968