Printer and the use of LPR

Post by Ted Gervai » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Wondering if anyone uses LPR to run their printer?
I run ' pr   'file_to_print' > /dev/lp0'

I was thinking there must be a better way. Maybe there is?  I heard that I
am using the 'raw' way to print and
the use of LPR is better. However that doesn't work for me.

My question is - is LPR supposed to work to do your printing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated..

Printer and the use of LPR

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> On Tue, 30 May 2000 10:46:58 -0300, Ted Gervais said:

> >Wondering if anyone uses LPR to run their printer?
> >I run ' pr   'file_to_print' > /dev/lp0'

> >I was thinking there must be a better way. Maybe there is?  I heard that I
> >am using the 'raw' way to print and
> >the use of LPR is better. However that doesn't work for me.

> >My question is - is LPR supposed to work to do your printing?

> Yes - lpr implements a print queue; catting straight to /dev/lp0 doesn't.

> I would have thought that just about everyone uses it or a variant. For
> it to work, you must have lpd (the spool daemon) running, and a correct
> configuration in /etc/printcap.

>    man printcap
> for more information.

If you use RedHat, try to use printtool to set up your printer and lpr
queue.

Rasmus B?g Hansen

---
He has his own opinions
- just like the others.
                                  -- Burnin' Red Ivanhoe

1. Using a printer attatched to a Win machine as lpr

Hello all.

I have got my linux box working, and smbd and nmbd are running.  I can
reach my smb shares from the windows machines on the local network.

One of these machines, call it Dave1 has a printer named HPLJII which I
would like to have be the default printer for lpr to send to.  I can then
use tools like enscripts, etc. to route all sorts of output to it with a
bit of care.

I have not been able to figure out how to do this.  Is this even possible?

smbclient ////Dave1//HPLJII -P -N followed by a put works just fine, and
as one would expect.  What do I need to do to make lpr understand this?

Scott

My opinions are my own             EViews ftp: ftp.netcom.com:/pub/qm/qms
                                   Quantitative Micro Software - 714 856 3368
"The barbarian is thwarted at the moat" - Scott Adams

2. etherboot vs. netboot

3. Printer configured but won't print using lpr

4. FreeBSD-4.1.1 running KDE2

5. Selecting Printer Tray using lpr

6. Network Install

7. sending duplicate jobs to a remote printer using lpr.

8. How to install XF_VGA?Is it included in Redhat 5.1 CD?

9. Using LPR on the a PC printer

10. Printer problem, lpr: lp: unknown printer

11. Setting up a SCO lpr printer to serve as remote printer for PC lpd's

12. Running LPR printer (old Genicom text shuttle printer) from Win 2K client through Win NT server

13. cannot print using lpr without PPP connection using Caldera (Red Hat)