Dual boot/Dual Hard Drive

Post by <ajalf.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I run a dual boot system (all SCSI drives, all boot sectors below 1024
cylinders) with Winbloze98/Caldera 2.2 Linux, using Boot
Magic that came with the Caldera distribution.  The Boot Magic panel kicks
into LILO (supposedly installed in the Linux boot sector, not the MBR)when
I select the Linux OS, and moves smoothly into Linux.   I would now like
to install a second hard drive and put another distribution of Linux on
the second drive and be able to boot up to the second drive from Boot
Magic.  Alternatively (but less desirable) I'll accept booting up all
three operating systems on two drives, from LILO.
Currently, Boot Magic "sees" the second drive and OS (I installed the
Caldera in a bootable 4 GB partition on the second drive as a test using
their wizard) and I can boot to the second drive with a floppy (using
"boot root=/dev/sdc" at floppy boot prompt). But if I try to boot to the
second OS on the second drive, I get the typical LILO crash of "10 10 10
10 ...".  LILO gets as far as "L" before crashing this way.
My understanding is that this is a LILO config problem and/or a MBR/boot
sector problem.

How do I configure this to work properly?  I think that this would be very
valuable to present as a mini-how-to since hard drives are cheap and it
would be nice (I think) to isolate winbloz from linux.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

1. Dual boot for dual Hard drive (newbie)

hi,
I got myself a new HD last week.
So now I have:
30 GB 5400 RPM ATA 66 (has Win XP Pro in it)
40 GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 (new-empty)

Now, I want to do dual boot of FreeBSD 4.4 with WinXP.
I would like to install each OS in each drive.
What I'm not sure of is which goes in which?

should I move my win xp pro to the new HD and I install FreeBSD 4.4
in the old one?
Which one has better support to take advantage of the higher rpm and ATA
???

Thanks in advance.

Sincere,
-Steve Gunawan

2. Curses & Readline

3. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

4. Help installing LILO

5. What would you do... TCP/IP "Broadcast" Server

6. Dual booting Linux with boot.ini, and two hard drives?

7. Run-level for chconfig processes

8. help with dual boot, dual drive setup?

9. How to Dual Boot/Dual Drive??

10. Dual Boot/Dual Drive Troubles Cont.

11. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

12. Dual boot networked to dual boot