How can Dos partitions & Dos files be viewed in Linux ?

How can Dos partitions & Dos files be viewed in Linux ?

Post by Anthon » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

March 2, 1999

I have just sucessfuly installed SuSe and set up X-Wondow.

I would like to know if Dos partitions and Dos files could be
viewed in Linux and worked by Linux application softwares.

Best regards,

Anthony Cheung

How can Dos partitions & Dos files be viewed in Linux ?

Post by Matt Willi » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

You need to mount the DOS partition. You can do this as root, or you
can do it automatically via /etc/fstab. Check out the mount command.
I don't know if VFAT and DOS are in SuSE by default (but I assume so,
otherwise you may have to recompile your kernel). On my system, the
C: drive is /dev/hda1 -- yours may be different (like /dev/sda1 for
a scsi drive).

This is what I do to mount my C drive:

   mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/drive_c -t vfat

This assumes I've created an empty directory called /mnt/drive_c to
mount the C: drive at. You can mount it anywhere you like. Then, I can
go

   ls /mnt/drive_c

to see what's on C: drive.

Once that works, you can edit /etc/fstab to automatically mount the C:
drive whenever you boot up.

As for editing files, you will find that's not so much fun. It depends
on what office suite comes with SuSE.

- Matt

> March 2, 1999

> I have just sucessfuly installed SuSe and set up X-Wondow.

> I would like to know if Dos partitions and Dos files could be
> viewed in Linux and worked by Linux application softwares.

> Best regards,

> Anthony Cheung

Matthew Willis          Ph.D. Candidate (Environmental Systems)

tel: (607) 255 2734     Cornell University
fax: (607) 255 9004     http://www.tc.cornell.edu/~willis

Post by Peter Buelo » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> March 2, 1999

> I have just sucessfuly installed SuSe and set up X-Wondow.

> I would like to know if Dos partitions and Dos files could be
> viewed in Linux and worked by Linux application softwares.

> Best regards,

> Anthony Cheung

yes, but you need to compile the support into you kernel if it isn't
there. You can test to see if it is by knowing which partition you want
to mount and typeing
mount -a /dev/hd?? /mnt
If it works, then you do have the capability built in.
hd?? is an ide drive where the first ? is the physical drive (a, b, c,
d) and the second ? is the parition number. hd stands for ide drive and
if you have a scsi drive, use sd instead and the final ? is the scsi
device number.

IDE primary master = a
IDE primary slave = b
IDE secondary master = c
IDE secondary slave = d
--
Peter Buelow
Motorola GSM/Bedrock

Post by Ed Cogbur » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> March 2, 1999

> I have just sucessfuly installed SuSe and set up X-Wondow.

> I would like to know if Dos partitions and Dos files could be
> viewed in Linux and worked by Linux application softwares.

> Best regards,

> Anthony Cheung

        You can read and write to dos partitions if your kernel has
"vfat" support compiled in (or as a module).  In the kernel source
package, look for Documentation/filesystems/vfat.txt.

--
Ed C.

1. AIX 1.2, DOS-Merge, & > 32MB DOS Partition ??

Sure:  set up extended DOS partitions and access those:

1) Boot the PS/2 under DOS 3.3 and use 'fdisk' to create an extended
   partition and several logical drives.  Each drive would, of course,
   be 32MB or less.
2) Let the system reboot into DOS and format each of the new drives.
3) Boot under AIX.  Start Merge with 'dos +aa +ae +af:=/dev/dd03'.
   This should start a Merge session with the floppy disk as A:, the
   normal C: and D: assignments, the DOS primary partition as E:, and
   the first logical drive in the extended partition as F:.

For more information, look up the discussion "Multiple Partitions" in
"Administering DOS Partitions" in the "DOS Merge System Administration"
chapter of _DOS Merge User's and Administrator's Guide_.  You can use
the 'dosopt' command and the "/etc/dosdev" file to customize how you
start Merge to use the additional logical drives.

One last thing:  if the F: assignment does not work, you might try
starting Merge with a different "dd0x" assignment.  I found mine through
hit-or-miss.  The documentation does not explain the correspondance
between the various DOS partitions and the AIX ddxx devices very well.

Good luck.

2. telnet/ftp problem

3. d10+ and mandrake 9.0

4. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

5. equivalent of directCD ?????

7. the best backdoor

8. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

9. Using WD1007 with DOS partitions & Adaptec 1542B with Linux partitions

10. Viewing Linux Partition from Dos

11. Mini Linux coexists in DOS partition and boot from DOS

12. viewing linux partition from win95 (DOS)