mke2fs on an IDE drive problem

Post by MH » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Promise DC4030VL-2 IDE controler and 853 MB Caviar are kicking my ass.

drive geometry as follows: 1654 x 16 x 63

via fdisk,

/dev/hda1 is set from cylinders 1 to 1000 type 83 bootable
/dev/hda2 is set from 1001 to 1020 type 82
/dev/hda3 is set from 1021 to 1654

mke2fs gives me:

hda: DRDY error: status=0xd2 { Busy }
ide0: do_idle_reset: timed-out, status=0xd2

at about inode #37 (out of 64)

It does this even if I pass the geomerry to the initial boot programs on the
floppy.

E-mail me if you don't wish to clutter the newsgroup.

Thanks in advance.

-------------------------------
That was this morning:
-------------------------------

But wait!  There's more!

Just reformated the HD under DOS to see what cylinder settings it's using.  I
boot into Linux (with the install disks) and do a Linux fdisk.  THERE'S NO
RECOGNIZED PARTITION!  But the system will still boot into DOS off of the C:
drive.  Where the h--l is DOS putting the boot info?  Why doesn't Linux
recognize the existing partition?  It gets better, I set the DOS partition at
4 MB and reinstalled MS-Dos so that I could possible use loadlin.  When I
bring up Linux and do the fdisk so set up the Linux partitions, the sectors
that are there are way out at some very big numbers like 1123421 to 1211323.
(example only) and I have some strange partitions already set up.  /dev/hda1
came up as type XENIX, /dev/hda2,/dev/hda3, and /dev/hda4 were equally
perplexing.  Now the wierd part, I never set them up.  Some how, MS-DOS
fdisk did it when I set the primary DOS part.

In short, should I just use the HD for a skeet shoot?

-------------------------
Addition #2
-------------------------

Yanked the 853MB drive out and replaced it with a Quantum Maveric 540MB drive.

You guessed it, same problem.  I'm still open for sugestions.

mke2fs on an IDE drive problem

Post by MH » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Promise DC4030VL-2 IDE controler and 853 MB Caviar are kicking my ass.
>drive geometry as follows: 1654 x 16 x 63
>via fdisk,
>/dev/hda1 is set from cylinders 1 to 1000 type 83 bootable
>/dev/hda2 is set from 1001 to 1020 type 82
>/dev/hda3 is set from 1021 to 1654
>mke2fs gives me:
>hda: DRDY error: status=0xd2 { Busy }
>ide0: do_idle_reset: timed-out, status=0xd2
>at about inode #37 (out of 64)
>It does this even if I pass the geomerry to the initial boot programs on the
>floppy.
>But wait!  There's more!
>Just reformated the HD under DOS to see what cylinder settings it's using.  I
>boot into Linux (with the install disks) and do a Linux fdisk.  THERE'S NO
>RECOGNIZED PARTITION!  But the system will still boot into DOS off of the C:
>drive.  Where the h--l is DOS putting the boot info?  Why doesn't Linux
>recognize the existing partition?  It gets better, I set the DOS partition at
>4 MB and reinstalled MS-Dos so that I could possible use loadlin.  When I
>bring up Linux and do the fdisk so set up the Linux partitions, the sectors
>that are there are way out at some very big numbers like 1123421 to 1211323.
>(example only) and I have some strange partitions already set up.  /dev/hda1
>came up as type XENIX, /dev/hda2,/dev/hda3, and /dev/hda4 were equally
>perplexing.  Now the wierd part, I never set them up.  Some how, MS-DOS
>fdisk did it when I set the primary DOS part.
>In short, should I just use the HD for a skeet shoot?

Update:  Yanked the VLB IDE controler and put in a DTC ISA IDE controler.
Works fine.  Any comments are still welcome.

1. Hard Drive Acces Problem (1.2 GB IDE, can't mke2fs -c)

[ Article crossposted from comp.os.linux.hardware ]
[ Author was Scott Schremmer ]
[ Posted on 22 Jul 1996 14:55:28 GMT ]

        I am attempting to install linux (Slackware 3.0 from the CD) on an
intel P66 with a 1.2 GB Western Digital IDE drive.  (16 mb Ram, sound
card, 4x cd rom also installed).  Using the Ram disk I am able to mount
and read from the DOS partition of the drive, as well as the flopy drive
(though I haven't tried to write to either).  I am able (as far as I can
tell) to create the partitions for linux.  However, when I try to create
the file system either from the command line (mke2fs -c /dev/hda1 <SIZE>
(I know the size, just don't have it in front of me now)) (or from the
slackware setup menu), I get errors similar to the following:

hda:  read_intr error=0X04 {DriveStatusError}
hda:  read_intr status=0X065 {DriveReady WriteFaults CorrectedError Error}

      This (or something like it) is repeated filling screan after
screan.  Any idea what may be causing this problem (could it have
anything to do with the size of the drive?).  Thanks,

Scott Schremmer

|Scott Schremmer   | 12311 Kinley Court NE    | 11 Morningside Dr.      |

|(In Albuquerque through mid-Aug. then to CT,back to Boston U. in fall) |

2. Help: 6.0 problems

3. IBM ThinkPad 350?

4. SLS 1.03 2nd IDE HD mke2fs problems

5. How can I make my 486' BIOS survive Y2K ?

6. Problem with 4.3gig drive and mke2fs

7. glib error

8. SCSI and IDE Drives - can't detect IDE drives

9. problem with ide-scsi and IDE tape drive

10. MKE2FS: mke2fs on the WRONG Partition. Recovery possible?

11. Booting problems with EZ-Drive and 2 IDE hard drives.