Red Hat 2.1->4.0: Future Domain SCSI not found

Red Hat 2.1->4.0: Future Domain SCSI not found

Post by Rene Pijlma » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade from Red Hat 2.1 (1.3.42 kernel) to Red Hat 4.0
(2.0.18 kernel).

Unfortunately, the Red Hat installation program does not recognize my Future
Domain TMC-850MCD SCSI controller. In earlier versions I needed to use the
Seagate ST01/02 SCSI driver and pass the boot parameter tmc8xx=0xca000,5.
Linux would then recognize the SCSI controller and work just fine.

Now when I enter the installation program (floppyless install) this is what
happens:

E:
cd \dosutils
autoboot
I choose 'local CD-ROM'
I choose type of CD-ROM: 'SCSI'
I choose controller: 'Seagate ST01/02'.

I've tried autoprobe and the option 'tmc8xx=0xca000,5', but in both
cases I get the error message:

    I can't find the device anywhere on your system.

There is a page on the Red Hat website with some new boot images for
troublesome SCSI modules. But there is no boot image specifically for
the Seagate or Future Domain module.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
--
Rene Pijlman

Post by Gregg Ramek » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I'm trying to upgrade from Red Hat 2.1 (1.3.42 kernel) to Red Hat 4.0
>(2.0.18 kernel).

>Unfortunately, the Red Hat installation program does not recognize my Future
>Domain TMC-850MCD SCSI controller. In earlier versions I needed to use the
>Seagate ST01/02 SCSI driver and pass the boot parameter tmc8xx=0xca000,5.
>Linux would then recognize the SCSI controller and work just fine.

>Now when I enter the installation program (floppyless install) this is what
>happens:

>E:
>cd \dosutils
>autoboot
>I choose 'local CD-ROM'
>I choose type of CD-ROM: 'SCSI'
>I choose controller: 'Seagate ST01/02'.

>I've tried autoprobe and the option 'tmc8xx=0xca000,5', but in both
>cases I get the error message:

>    I can't find the device anywhere on your system.

>There is a page on the Red Hat website with some new boot images for
>troublesome SCSI modules. But there is no boot image specifically for
>the Seagate or Future Domain module.

>Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

>TIA,
>--
>Rene Pijlman

I had the exact same problem yesterday, and in the past with an old
Slackware setup.  The only way I could get it to work was to build a
new kernel with overrides for CONTROLLER=FD and OVERRIDE=0xca000.  It
then recognized the controller.  I also have a flaky CD, so I had to
modify the source in seagate.c and seagate.h.  E-mail me if you want
more details.

RainMan

Red Hat 2.1->4.0: Future Domain SCSI not found

Post by Haden Peterso » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have the same problem (except that I'm ust doing a new install using
Redhat 4.0). In researching it, I found that
you need to enter some module paramters. You can find these
listed in the errata for version 4.0 (Colgate) at the Redhat.

However, I've tried entering the parameters and I get
"Mount failed: Block device required".

Can anyone tell me what this means and how I can rectify it?

I will email Greg for details on his solution but I'm very new to
this and don't know how to build a new kernel.
Thanks,

Haden Peterson

Post by Hugo van der Kooi » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I'm trying to upgrade from Red Hat 2.1 (1.3.42 kernel) to Red Hat 4.0
> (2.0.18 kernel).

> Unfortunately, the Red Hat installation program does not recognize my Future
> Domain TMC-850MCD SCSI controller. In earlier versions I needed to use the
> Seagate ST01/02 SCSI driver and pass the boot parameter tmc8xx=0xca000,5.
> Linux would then recognize the SCSI controller and work just fine.

> Now when I enter the installation program (floppyless install) this is what
> happens:

> E:
> cd \dosutils
> autoboot
> I choose 'local CD-ROM'
> I choose type of CD-ROM: 'SCSI'
> I choose controller: 'Seagate ST01/02'.

> I've tried autoprobe and the option 'tmc8xx=0xca000,5', but in both
> cases I get the error message:

>     I can't find the device anywhere on your system.

> There is a page on the Red Hat website with some new boot images for
> troublesome SCSI modules. But there is no boot image specifically for
> the Seagate or Future Domain module.

> Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

RedHat 4.0 gebruikt modules en de betreffende module is vast nog niet
geladen. Als iemand een custom boot disk kan maken kan dat waarschijlijk
aangepast worden door iets met /etc/conf.modules te gaan doen.

Hugo.

PS: Wil je geen postings in het Engels doen hier? Crosposting op deze
wijze maakt het leven niet aangenamer. De afgesproken voertaal is
Nederlands!

--
  Hugo van der Kooij; Oranje Nassaustraat 16; 3155 VJ  Maasland;
Netherlands

PGP: http://www.caiw.nl/~hvdkooij/pgp-key      TEL: +31-10-5999237
  Any unsollicited email message send to me will be regarded as a
request
  to proofread that message. I will proofread any message for $ 150.-
  per hour with a minimum charge of $ 150.- per incident.

Post by Rene Pijlma » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>I have the same problem (except that I'm ust doing a new install using
>Redhat 4.0). In researching it, I found that
>you need to enter some module paramters. You can find these
>listed in the errata for version 4.0 (Colgate) at the Redhat.

Thanks a bunch, that solved my problem! I now use the options:

  controller_type=2 base_address=0xCA000 irq=5

This works fine and there is no need to rebuild a kernel this way. Thanks
to all who responded.

Cheers,
--
Rene Pijlman

1. Future Domain SCSI/2.1

I have the WC FreeBSD 2.1 CD, which I'm attempting to use.  My target
host has Future Domain SCSI for the drive controller.

This machine will be dedicated to FreeBSD, no DOS or anything.

I want to build via NFS mount from my SUN.

When I boot via floppy, the configuration screen comes up, but it
won't allow me to partition the drives.  Claims there aren't any
drives.

This box is currently running LINUX without complaint.

Do I need a different driver?  The HARDWARE.TXT file has no reference
to the Future Domain products.

TIA!

        CK6! INC * P.O. Box 2269, Ramona, CA. 92065 * (619) 789-8106
                     http://www.electriciti.com/~ck6inc/

2. Using dbx to print arguments of non-debug functions

3. Will Solaris 2.1 x86 run Future Domain SCSI RSN?

4. /usr/sbin/sizer

5. Help: Future Domain 1680 controller is not recognized by RHS 2.1

6. Realtime under SOLARIS 2.4

7. SCSI Card Not Found During Installation (Future Domain 1680)

8. Shadow 3.3.2 path and root login problem solved

9. linux not find cdrom on SCSI future domain ...

10. Future Domains 1680 SCSI (BIOS 3.4) ---> linux (not yet)

11. Future Domain 850M SCSI card not found.

12. ** Warning ** Veritas NetBackup 4.5 and files >2GB under Red Hat Adv Server 2.1

13. Libraries can't be found - Red Hat 2.1