tar.gz versus RPM

Post by amit w. chaffe » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

If I have a package installed as an RPM, does it matter if I upgrade it
using a package in tar.gz form? will that mess up anything with the RPM
system? is there a way to check dependencies with tar.gz packages?

Amit Chaffee

tar.gz versus RPM

Post by Leejay W » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.setup: 8-Jul-99 tar.gz versus RPM by

Quote:> If I have a package installed as an RPM, does it matter if I upgrade it
> using a package in tar.gz form? will that mess up anything with the RPM

Yes, and arguably yes.

Quote:> system? is there a way to check dependencies with tar.gz packages?

No.  Weeellllllll, not normally.

Long(er) answer:
  .tar.gz's are simply compressed archives of files.  Neither tar nor
  gzip was designed as a "package manager" per se, and they have absolutely
  no concept of dependencies by themselves.

  That said, there is absolutely no reason why a packaging system could
  not be built 'round .tar.gz, perhaps requiring that every .tar.gz have
  a file 'PACKAGE_INFO' or whatever with the necessary data, and then
  supplying a wrapper 'round gz/tar which extracts and parses P_I.  It's
  probably been done already.  In addition, some .tar.gz's come with
  scripts that'll convert the whole darn thing into an .rpm, complete
  with dependency information.

  RPMS, OTOH, were designed for package management (the PM); IIRC, they're
  based mostly off of 'cpio' archives, with additional information such
  as package name, version, and dependency information.  Installing an .rpm
  causes such information to be recorded in your system's RPM database;
  this is what is checked for dependency information.

  Therefore, using .tar.gz's will mean that your RPM database is not
  updated.  You'll still be able to install all the packages you could
  normally (as long as the files, etc. are in the expected places...), but
  you may have to tell rpm to ignore missing dependencies when installing
  packages that depend upon what you manually (.tar.gz) installed.
--

|--------------------------| he writes really bad haiku |
|   #include <stddiscl.h>  | readers all go mad         |

1. ANNOUNCE:KDE 2 PreAlpha build binaries (02052000) available - RPM's and tar.gz's.

I have gotten a perfect build of KDE2 PreAlpha as of 02-05-2000. I am
making this available at:

ftp://ftp.nebsllc.com/kde2/current

and

http://www.nebsllc.com (Follow links for kde2 Alpha binaries)

This looks to be an extremely stable version of the alpha.

Please be kind to others trying to access the site, please do not
download all the packages at the same time and walk away. There is a
limited bandwidth on this machine.

Please read this whole message and the README file in the directory as
well. If that doesn't give you enough info to install then you
shouldn't be running and alpha version of software. Please also take a

alpha list so that we can let you know about any problems or new
availability.

These packages are available as -bin.tar.gz and RPM bundles. You do not
need both.  Thesre packages, in the past, have been known to work on
all distributions of Linux.

Also, there is a package named kdealpha-02052000-bin.tar.gz and
kdealpha-02052000-1.i386.rpm these packages contain the full build. You
do not need any of the other packages if you take either of these.
(Sorry, you still need QT-COPY). These are VERY large, make sure you
will not time out 1/2 way through the download.

Install instructions for the bin.tar.gz's (since this is what I
recommend):

get the packages (you must have qtcopy, kdesupport, kdebase, and
kdelibs).
su
cd /
tar zvxf [path to package]
(repeat for all packages)

add QTDIR=/usr/src/kde/qt-copy and KDEDIR=/opt/kde2 to your exports

add /usr/src/kde/qt-copy/libs and /opt/kde2/libs to your ld.so.conf
file and run /sbin/ldconfig -v

Enjoy and please report problems that you find!

---------------------------------------
Christopher Molnar
New England Business Services, LLC
Hartford, CT USA
(860)956-9408

"It said uses Windows 95 or better, so I loaded Linux!"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Commercial: low cost server leasing running LInux

3. RPMTAR - tar.gz files that are RPMs

4. breakin question

5. Netscape .rpm after .tar.gz

6. how to config Plus HardCard 105MB

7. converting .tar.gz to .rpm

8. problem in my path..

9. PCI-SCI Drivers (RPM and tar.gz) v1.13 Released

10. .rpm vs. .tar.gz

11. How to rpm a tar.gz file

12. Installing non rpm tar.gz

13. Is a .tar.gz to .rpm converter available ?