Lost Hard Drive of recompile

Post by Kirk J. Stul » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

When I boot up with the original kernel supplied with linux 3.0 both of my
hard drives are recognized (esdi 645M, 304M)

kernel: hda: UltraStor Ultra-12, 645MB w/32KB Cache, CHS=327/64/63, MaxMult=8
kernel: hdb: UltraStor Ultra-12, 304MB w/32KB Cache, CHS=618/16/63, MaxMult=8

But after I did a re-compile of the kernel I lost access to hda which is my
dos hard drive.

kernel: Partition check:
kernel:  hda: UltraStor Ultra-12, 645MB w/32KB Cache, CHS=327/64/63, MaxMult=8
kernel: hda: cannot handle device with more than 16 heads - giving up
kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 0300, sector 0
kernel:   unable to read partition table of device 0300
kernel:  hdb: UltraStor Ultra-12, 304MB w/32KB Cache, CHS=618/16/63, MaxMult=8
kernel:   hdb: hdb1 hdb2
kernel: VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

Has anyone come accross this error before and if so how can I fix it.

Thanks in advance,
Kirk

Kirk J. Stulen
Computer Analyst
Louisiana State University

1. Recompiled kernel, lost atapi zip drive,ppp permission

Hello:
    I recompiled my kernel with scsi emulation on for my ide cd-writer
and I can access it as a scsi device.  But now I cannot mount my atapi
zip drive.  Any Ideas?

    Also I get a warning about ppp not in the kernel when I use kppp as
a non-root user. But I can still dial out fine what is causing this, any
fixes?

    TIA
       Vaughn Arthur

2. suexec restriction?

3. problems recompiling, booting from hard drive, and getting sound

4. linux for ps/2 model 70 115mb esdi (help!)

5. copying hard drive to hard drive

6. Authenticated home directory mounts?

7. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

8. F1 in ncurses ...

9. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

10. Hard Drive to Hard Drive Copy

11. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

12. Two hard drives to a single hard drive

13. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive