A basic DOSEMU question

Post by Brian Bagge » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Lately, I've decided to give dosemu a try, however I don't have a dos
partition on my rather archaic system so I want to use an hdimage to
create a virtual dos filesystem.  I'm aware of the 'mkhdimage' option,
however I haven't been able to get the syntax correct.  I'd like to make
an hdimage file that's around 50 MB.  Could someone tell me how to do this
without having a dos partition (but having plenty of access to DOS disks,
etc).  Also, once this partition has been created, can it be formatted and
treated as if it were an actual filesystem?  If this is possible, can Wabi
utilize it?

Thanks,

Brian

--

A basic DOSEMU question

Post by Stephen Treg » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>Lately, I've decided to give dosemu a try, however I don't have a dos
>partition on my rather archaic system so I want to use an hdimage to
>create a virtual dos filesystem.  I'm aware of the 'mkhdimage' option,
>however I haven't been able to get the syntax correct.  I'd like to make
>an hdimage file that's around 50 MB.  Could someone tell me how to do this
>without having a dos partition (but having plenty of access to DOS disks,
>etc).  Also, once this partition has been created, can it be formatted and
>treated as if it were an actual filesystem?  If this is possible, can Wabi
>utilize it?

You are going about it wrong. The HDimage utility is to make an image of a
disk (floppy). What you need to do is make an image of a bootable disk, these
images will usually be no larger than 1.44 Mb.  In the AUTOEXEC you use the
DOSemu utility to remap your local drives and use your existing filesystem.

I have a directory off of root called DOS.  When I fire up DOSemu I remap my
booted disk to drive D: and map /DOS (linux filesystem) as drive C:

A basic DOSEMU question

Post by Sid Boyc » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> >Lately, I've decided to give dosemu a try, however I don't have a dos
> >partition on my rather archaic system so I want to use an hdimage to
> >create a virtual dos filesystem.  I'm aware of the 'mkhdimage' option,
> >however I haven't been able to get the syntax correct.  I'd like to make
> >an hdimage file that's around 50 MB.  Could someone tell me how to do this
> >without having a dos partition (but having plenty of access to DOS disks,
> >etc).  Also, once this partition has been created, can it be formatted and
> >treated as if it were an actual filesystem?  If this is possible, can Wabi
> >utilize it?

> You are going about it wrong. The HDimage utility is to make an image of a
> disk (floppy). What you need to do is make an image of a bootable disk, these
> images will usually be no larger than 1.44 Mb.  In the AUTOEXEC you use the
> DOSemu utility to remap your local drives and use your existing filesystem.

> I have a directory off of root called DOS.  When I fire up DOSemu I remap my
> booted disk to drive D: and map /DOS (linux filesystem) as drive C:

        You can do mkhdimage -c xxx -h yy -s zzz >hdimage which then can be
copied to /var/lib/dosemu, next when dosemu is started from floppy,
fdisk c:/s, then (think) format c:. You can specify  -c (cylinders) -h
(heads) -s (sectors) so you can have a drive capable of growing to a
certain size, in my case 540 MB. I haven't seen the size decrease when
files are deleted, although you see the difference in dosemu.
        What I did for WABI was to setup a drive D: as /d:, in wabi I've added
for dosemu the command dos -dC so it goes to a VC, can't get graphics in
X to behave so far.
        For the specific case mentioned, you can achieve it with a smaller
hdimage and
lredir to the dos partition, that's best.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

1. basic questions about DOSEMU

Hi...

        I am a newbie in Linux, and I want to run dosemu.  I have some
        very _basic_ questions about dosemu under linux...

1)  In dosemu mode, can I use linux (unix) commands or it is an emulation
    of a of _pure_ dos environment, that is, I will need to use dos
    commands, say dir instead of ls?

2)  In writing config.sys and autoexec.bat, does the c: root directory
    refer to the harddisk image?  And once I have installed a dos parition
    into the dosemu using lredir in config.sys, can I use the files
    in the intalled partitioin immediately after the lredir command in
    config.sys and autoexec.bat?

3)  Should I use ems.sys from dosemu, or emm386.sys from dos?

4)  What do the following errors mean?

ERROR: Sector not found in read_sector, error = Bad file descriptor!
ERROR: can't boot from /dev/fd0, using harddisk

    I first intuition is telling me that dosemu is trying to boot from
    the floppy drive, but iin my /etc/dosemu.conf, I have

disk { image "/var/lib/dosemu/hdimage" }

    and the only place that has fd0 is,

ifndef vbootfloppy
  floppy { device /dev/fd0 threeinch }

5)  what is the difference between bootA and bootC ?

        Sorry if these questions sound too trivial..

jf.

2. Difference between RH 2.2.5-15 and general 2.2.5

3. Basic basic troff question??!

4. Trying to use while in ksh shell script

5. Basic, Basic SCSI Question

6. LinuxPPC G3 Ethernet Bug?

7. very basic basic newbie question

8. Multiple NICs on same BSD

9. DOSEMU at bootup question (dosemu newbie?)

10. DOSEMU: Newbie question: can't lauch dosemu from dos floppy

11. Dosemu basics

12. Newbie basic questions... many questions

13. Basic and Basic->C converter wanted