REDHAT 5.0 HELP !!!

Post by philipp » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I made the biggest mistake in some 6 years of using Linux : I tried to
upgrade to RedHat 5.0 !

Since nothing ( really NOTHING !) worked anymore because probably of the
move to glibc,
I had to remove the whole system and reinstall 4.2 . Well looks like I
kept some junk behind since now it became impossible to recompile a
working version of gcc !!!! Well, it comiles ok but
none of the executable produced by the brand new compiler is istself
executable !

Now, I would like to understand this : my system is LIBC : only
executable made with a libc gcc are themselves executable.

Now if I use a LIBC gcc to recompile itself , I get an executable LIBC
gcc which in turn produces a non LIBC executable.

Is there anybody around which could explain this to me and most of all
could tell me how I get out of this nightmare ?

Please ....

Philippe

PS : and NO THANKS TO RED HAT for this second time it says the system is
upgradable when it is not ! (it hapenned from 3.X to 4.X as well !)

REDHAT 5.0 HELP !!!

Post by Reeves Hal » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

RedHat 5 is an excellent distribution. It was quite painful upgrading Slack
3.2 to RH5, but I'm glad I did. Personally I'd recommend not trying to do an
upgrade install (I reformatted and did a clean install, actually around 7
clean installs before I got it right :).

> I made the biggest mistake in some 6 years of using Linux : I tried to
> upgrade to RedHat 5.0 !

> Since nothing ( really NOTHING !) worked anymore because probably of the
> move to glibc,
> I had to remove the whole system and reinstall 4.2 . Well looks like I
> kept some junk behind since now it became impossible to recompile a
> working version of gcc !!!! Well, it comiles ok but
> none of the executable produced by the brand new compiler is istself
> executable !

> Now, I would like to understand this : my system is LIBC : only
> executable made with a libc gcc are themselves executable.

> Now if I use a LIBC gcc to recompile itself , I get an executable LIBC
> gcc which in turn produces a non LIBC executable.

> Is there anybody around which could explain this to me and most of all
> could tell me how I get out of this nightmare ?

> Please ....

> Philippe

> PS : and NO THANKS TO RED HAT for this second time it says the system is
> upgradable when it is not ! (it hapenned from 3.X to 4.X as well !)

Have fun when RH5.1 comes out soon :)

--
/* --------------------------------- */
/* I don't recommend junkmailing me. */

void main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
 printf("Reeves Hall\n");

Quote:};

/* --------------------------------- */

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

REDHAT 5.0 HELP !!!

Post by philipp » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> RedHat 5 is an excellent distribution. It was quite painful upgrading Slack
> 3.2 to RH5, but I'm glad I did. Personally I'd recommend not trying to do an
> upgrade install (I reformatted and did a clean install, actually around 7
> clean installs before I got it right :).

Sorry  not to agree with you : a good distriubution is also an upgradable
distribution ! Maybe I was not clear : I had a REDHAT 4.2 which was supposed to
be upgradable. And Redhat 3.X was also supposed to be upgradable. I have
software I don't want to loose on the way. Do you really think that having to
reformat is a good sign ???

Now, how a good distribution gets to compile a ggc compiler  under a libc
system and produce an non libc executable ? Where is the config thing in the
mist of the distribution ?

Looking good is not enough

Regards

Philippe

1. Help? Installation RedHat 5.0 Help

Hi,
I'm new to the world of Linux and Unix.  I purchased the RedHat v5.0
(and intend to upgrade to 5.3).  I got a boot disk and cdrom.  The
installation went well.  I got my c: for Win95 and had install Lilo to
the MBR.  Where I'm getting stuck is at the login. During the
installation i gave it a password.  At the prompt where I read
"LocalHost login" well I don't have an account?  I only created a
password and don't' recall the name of the account?  Can anyone help?
Where did I go wrong during the installation. Please post it here or

Thanks
George.

2. Getting the System Load

3. redhat 5.0 help needed with network

4. help big time.

5. Redhat 5.0 HELP!!!

6. bad news :(

7. RedHat 5.0 Help

8. multihome server

9. Yamaha CDR-102 & RedHat 5.0 - HELP!

10. redhat 5.0 help

11. CDE RedHat 5.0 HelP !

12. **EMERGENCY*** CONFIG HELP Sendmail Redhat 5.0 Please help

13. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help