umount/mount (how to get system to recognize eject?)

umount/mount (how to get system to recognize eject?)

Post by Chri » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello, it's Chris again,  I know I had asked some advice on this before, but
bear with this nuebie.  I have my system set up is some way that I need to be
root or su to change a CD or Floppy.  I had seen a way to have any user be
able to change disks; however, I can't get it to do that.  I have "Slackware
96" (kernel 2.0).

        EJECT is NOT RECOGNIZED as a command; so don't even suggest that.

        What version of Linux uses eject?

Thanks in advance of a solution,
Chris

Post by Brion Vibbe » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hello, it's Chris again,  I know I had asked some advice on this before, but
> bear with this nuebie.  I have my system set up is some way that I need to be
> root or su to change a CD or Floppy.  I had seen a way to have any user be
> able to change disks; however, I can't get it to do that.  I have "Slackware
> 96" (kernel 2.0).

Edit /etc/fstab. For the mount points you want to be able to mount and
unmount as a user (ie floppy and cdrom), add 'user' to the options. For
instance:

  /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2
noauto,user          0 0

Now any user should be able to mount or unmount the floppy.

Quote:>         EJECT is NOT RECOGNIZED as a command; so don't even suggest that.

>         What version of Linux uses eject?

Eject doesn't have anything to do with mounting or unmounting, it just
ejects the media (although it can be told to try unmounting first, you
need the appropriate priveledges first). My Red Hat 5 system has eject,
but my Slackware 3.4 system does not. Of course it's not that big a deal
anyway as long as you've got a button to push for ejecting the disc!

Post by Chri » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

>> Hello, it's Chris again,  I know I had asked some advice on this before, but
>> bear with this nuebie.  I have my system set up is some way that I need to be
>> root or su to change a CD or Floppy.  I had seen a way to have any user be
>> able to change disks; however, I can't get it to do that.  I have "Slackware
>> 96" (kernel 2.0).

>Edit /etc/fstab. For the mount points you want to be able to mount and
>unmount as a user (ie floppy and cdrom), add 'user' to the options. For
>instance:

>  /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2
>noauto,user          0 0

>Now any user should be able to mount or unmount the floppy.

        I have several disks with text, *.wpd, (ForTran) and other files for
Microsoft operating systems.  If I wanted to view a document, would the MSDOS
floppy be recognized?

Thanks, Brian
Chris

1. Automounting OK, mount/umount hangs system. Help?

Pfffbt. I'm not usually one for pestering gurus, but I need help.

After recompiling kernel 2.2.13 (Mandrake 6.1) to enable SCSI host
emulation to get my cd-writer working, which also involved disabling
generic ATAPI/IDE support, I'm unable to mount floppies/cdroms nor umount
partitions at shutdown. It's probably connected to the error message I get
at shutdown - accton: function not implemented - which appears just before
mounting hangs. Just wondering if there's an easy solution, or if serious
kernel tinkering is needed.

Help would be greatly appreciated :o)

2. HELP: ioctl does not work

3. Ejecting of CD on umount

4. VIA AC'97 integrated sound card

5. SUNWrtvc Camera - & problems getting system to recognize one

6. Determining if a child is dead

7. Getting OpenLinux system to recognize par. port

8. openbsd ffs

9. Getting system to recognize my IDE CD-ROM

10. USB PenDisk mount/umount; mount: No medium found ???

11. Getting programs to recognize new GTK-1.2 on RH5.2 system

12. Help getting system to recognize token ring card

13. System recognizes CompactFlash card but won't mount it