Linux Dialup problem

Post by ripos » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I am running Linux slackware 3.4, NT, Win98 and DOS on the same computer
with partition Magic. I am new to Linux. I can download Netscape or
Explorer for Linux with NT or 98. I can also download a dialer for Linux
but can't use them if I cannot transfer them from fat32 or fat 16 to a
linux partition.

How do I transfer from fat to Linux?

If I cannot...

Then I need to use a com program, telix, ect. to log into the BBS or the
ISP network to get the software downloaded to the Linx partition, from
within Linux.

What is the easiest way to get on the net with Linux? Linux comes with
some crude com dailups.

thanks, Bruce

Linux Dialup problem

Post by Me Agai » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>I am running Linux slackware 3.4, NT, Win98 and DOS on the same computer
>with partition Magic. I am new to Linux. I can download Netscape or
>Explorer for Linux with NT or 98. I can also download a dialer for Linux
>but can't use them if I cannot transfer them from fat32 or fat 16 to a
>linux partition.

>How do I transfer from fat to Linux?

Linux can read and write your Windows partition.  Simply mount it and then, if
you like, you can copy the stuff  to wherever you like within your linux
partition.

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt is one possible command, dependin on where your
windows partition is.

If you are finding pp dialups a bit lacklustre, go get yourself KDE.  The dial
program looks and works just like the Windows one.

Best regards

Mark
         We are Pentium of Borg - You will be approximated

http://www.wheely.demon.co.uk (As if I ever update this page!)

Linux Dialup problem

Post by Robert L. McCormic » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Get online with Win 98 and get the PPP-HOWTO from

http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/ldp/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO.html

Once you have set up PPP on your Linux machine you can ftp netscape from
ftp.netscape.com.

Alternatively, you can also use the text based web browser lynx and get
netscape off the web.  lynx most assuredly came with your Linux
distribution.

> I am running Linux slackware 3.4, NT, Win98 and DOS on the same computer
> with partition Magic. I am new to Linux. I can download Netscape or
> Explorer for Linux with NT or 98. I can also download a dialer for Linux
> but can't use them if I cannot transfer them from fat32 or fat 16 to a
> linux partition.

> How do I transfer from fat to Linux?

> If I cannot...

> Then I need to use a com program, telix, ect. to log into the BBS or the
> ISP network to get the software downloaded to the Linx partition, from
> within Linux.

> What is the easiest way to get on the net with Linux? Linux comes with
> some crude com dailups.

> thanks, Bruce

1. Linux Dialup problem

I am running Linux slackware 3.4, NT, Win98 and DOS on the same computer
with partition Magic. I am new to Linux. I can download Netscape or
Explorer for Linux with NT or 98. I can also download a dialer for Linux
but can't use them if I cannot transfer them from fat32 or fat 16 to a
linux partition.

How do I transfer from fat to Linux?

If I cannot...

Then I need to use a com program, telix, ect. to log into the BBS or the
ISP network to get the software downloaded to the Linx partition, from
within Linux.

What is the easiest way to get on the net with Linux? Linux comes with
some crude com dailups.

thanks, Bruce

2. getting N lines from a pattern

3. Sample firewall/masq rules for dialup and non-dialup posted (ipfwadm only)

4. Looking to mask From/Reply-to for non-local sendmail

5. DIALUP TO LINUX PROBLEM

6. Help! 28.8k Modem Won't Dial

7. Linux PPP dialup problem to Ascend Modems

8. tape backup malfunction

9. Linux Dialup to Windows NT problem

10. Linux PPPD dialup server, win95 client negotiation problem

11. lucent wireless problem on linux dialup gateway

12. dialup problems under RedHat 5.1

13. Mgetty dialup problem