Newbie needs help getting linux to mount root partition RW

Newbie needs help getting linux to mount root partition RW

Post by Corry Retzk » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I just installed slakware 3.1 (kernel 2.0) on a Toshiba Satellite 105.
Everything seems to install properly.  When I boot the machine after
setup completes, though, numerous warning messages tell me that the file
system is mounted 'read-only'.  After logging in as root I get the same
message whenever I try to create or edit a file.

Any ideas on what I did wrong?

thanks.

Newbie needs help getting linux to mount root partition RW

Post by Richard R Ure » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I just installed slakware 3.1 (kernel 2.0) on a Toshiba Satellite 105.
>Everything seems to install properly.  When I boot the machine after
>setup completes, though, numerous warning messages tell me that the file
>system is mounted 'read-only'.  After logging in as root I get the same
>message whenever I try to create or edit a file.

To remount the root device read-write, the command is:
        /sbin/mount -w -n -o remount /

(note the / at the end).

Normally this is done automatically via the startup scripts;
which should have been setup correctly during installation.
Look under /etc/rc.d/rc.S  --or better yet, get a more up-to-date
version of Slackware (they're up to 4.0 now)

1. Unable to mount root partition as RW on NEC Powermate V466 -Please help

Hi Linux gurus,

I'm trying to install the latest version of slackware 1.2.8 (which I
downloaded from ftp.cdrom.com ) on an NEC Powermate V466 with a 520MB
harddrive (CHS=1048/16/63) with 16MB of memory and a 486DX2-WB CPU.

I used the bare boot diskette and the color144 root diskette to
install. I noticed that during fdisk, Linux thought that my hard drive
is 524 cyls with 32 heads per cyl instead of 1024 cyls with 16 heads
per cyl as reported by the NEC BIOS setup.

The installation seemed to go OK (I did all the A disks and the N
disks) except that after creating the boot diskette and rebooting the
system (I used the IDENET kernel), after the message: large kernel:
low 1M memory tight CRC error, the system would hang. I fixed this by
disabling external caching using the NEC BIOS setup.

Then the boot process went much further but also ran into trouble with
the following messages:
Paralelling fdsk version 0.5b (14-Feb-95)
/dev/hda2 is clean, no check
Remounting root device with read-write enabled
/etc/rc.d/rc.S: /sbin/mount: No such file or directory
Attempt to remount root device as read-write failed! This is going to
cause serious problem......
Please press ENTER to continue then reboot and use one of the above
methods to get into your machine and start looking for the problem.
init[nnn]; cannot execute agetty
init[1]: no more processes left in this release (This message is
repeated forever until CNTL-ALT-DEL is pressed)

I suspected that either executables were missing or somehow the load
process could not access them.
I have tried to re-format and re-install many times but always got the
same problem. My 520 MB harddrive has 3 partitions: /dev/hda1 is an
MSDOS partition with 180 MB, /dev/hda2 is the Linux root partion with
300 MB and /dev/hda3 with around 20 MB as the swap partition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please post on this newsgroup

2. Will Linux run on biostar motherboard + amd486-120?

3. Dos partition mounted as rw, but only root can write to it

4. Issuing 'echo <ESC>[r' from .cshrc doesn't work, HELP

5. vi (Re: =-> Is /tmp: -rw-rw-rw- root system" a risc?)

6. Secure/Insecure under same Domain Name???

7. Mounting Linux Partition as RW v. RO

8. HELP! Unable to mount PRO AUDIO 16/PLEXTOR CDROM

9. Newbie, I need help getting linux install & setup.

10. Advice needed: root partition won't mount

11. mounting root partition from root floppy diskette

12. Newbie needs help on partitioning his hd fer linux

13. Newbie - Need Help adding Free Space to Linux Partition