Ethernet card fun/APM fun

Post by Adam Lein » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello everyone!

Just won a bid on a 486 laptop and alas, it includes no cd-rom.  Since
I am paying $260 for the beast, $150 on a PC Card (PCMCIA) cd-rom
is unecomincal.  So, my theory was to network my desktop and the
notebook via ethernet cards.  I also won a bid on a Xircom 28.8/10
BaseT ethernet combo PC Card for $30 and probably going to win one on
a $2 crossover cable (for connecting two pcs w/o a hub).  My friend
gave me a box of old parts, in which lied an old SMC ISA EtherCard
Elite 16 8013.

So I'm still waiting on the notework/cable/PC Card, but I'm trying to
get some stuff to work before hand.  The Ethernet card seems to work
fine; I found the drivers for it and in Windows 98 it comes up in the
device manager with the properties reading fine.  I set the card to
IRQ 7 via their software, but it comes up with IRQ 12 in Windows 98?
Weird.  I also have linux on this machine (dual-boot) and have read
bits and pieces about doing an FTP install via an ethernet network.

So today I went into linux and downloaded the Ethernet-HOWTO.  Seems
that the SMC 80*3 series is very stable and well supported.  I don't
like modules, I think they are complicated, so I bulit the support SMC
80*3 driver right into the kernel.  Booted the kernel and alas no
ethernet card.  Ran the diagnostic utility in dos and found out that
the base is 0x260.  So, I editted the /etc/lilo.conf and passed
"ether=0,0x260,eth0" to the kernel.  Still no go.  Any ideas?

If I do start to modualize, how should I go about it?  I already have
sound support bulit-in to the kernel and it works great.  I have to
make bzImage, however, because my kernel is so big.  Are modules
really worth the hassle of de-making the kernel and trying to bulid
support for my stuff via modules?

Any webpages out there dealing with the setup of Xircom ethernet PC
cards?

Ok, second question.  Did some web searches and really didn't find
anything.  I downloaded APMD from freshmeat.net, because I want to
suspend my system on demand.  I am testing this, because I am getting
a laptop and I want to suspend that puppy as I can with Winblows 9x.
Problem is, either in KDE or the plain-text console (no XWindows),
whenever I issue "apm -s" or "apm -S", the monitor flickers and then
the system drops me back to a console prompt.  What gives?  The
computer doesn't even sleep by itself in KDE, but if I left the damn
thing alone for 10 minutes in the plain-text console, the damn thing
sleeps on me.  What gives?  How can I get it to sleep on demand or at
least with a lot less time?

Thank you,
Adam

Ethernet card fun/APM fun

Post by Silviu Minu » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> If I do start to modualize, how should I go about it?  I already have
> sound support bulit-in to the kernel and it works great.  I have to
> make bzImage, however, because my kernel is so big.  Are modules
> really worth the hassle of de-making the kernel and trying to bulid
> support for my stuff via modules?

Absolutely.
There is a good reason why you want a small kernel. When a progrm is not
being run, it resides quietly on the disk. When you start a program, the
system brings it from the disk into memory (ram). The only program that
is (and cannot) be swapped in and out of memory is ...you guessed... the
kernel. This is because the kernel is the one that does all this swapping
among many other things.

Now, if you have a big kernel, a lot of your memory will be in use. There
will be little room for other programs to run. Say you start netscape.
The kernel can still run big programs that don't fit entirely in memory
as follows: at any given time, only a small part of the progrm being run
is needed. The rest of the program is not needed (momentarily) so it does
not have to be in memory. If an instruction has been executed and is not
needed anymore (at least for a while) the kernel can swap that
instruction (in fact a whole page) out to disk, and bring in memory
instructions that it needs next. If your application does not fi
completely into memory, the kernel would have to make a lot of
reads/writes to disk, which is extremely slow (compared to memory
access). This will slow down the whole thing.

To compile the kernel with the modules just do

make mrproper
make xconfig
make dep; make clean
make modules
make modules_install

That's it. Of course, when you make xconfig you must select the
appropriate modules. But that's true also if you include stuff directly
into the kernel, instead of modules.

Read /usr/src/linux/README

Silviu Minut

1. Fun fun fun! :)

I upgraded xf 4.0 to xf 4.0.1 on my PPC running YDL 1.2 (redhat).  I
wanted the latest and greatest video driver... which seems to be very
nice, so far!!

Well, for anyone about to do this, be warned that the XF86Config file
has incorrect keyboard mappings for G4s, anyway.  You can copy the old
settings from the old config file, and you have to do some tweaking
since the config file format has changed, but I think it will be obvious
to you when you compare the two.

Good luck to anyone else out there who is getting ready to upgrade.  I
also upgraded gnome to helix-gnome last night...  that too was an
adventure.  But thanks to the many helpful people who read this
newsgroup, I was able to get through it!   :)

Thanks!

Mike J.

2. RH8 routing

3. fun, fun fun

4. Questions

5. KIllustrator: fun, fun, fun.

6. Oracle 8i and Mandrake 7.0

7. fun with ethernet card

8. RedHat Linux

9. Linux driver for Terratec Aureon 5.1 fun sound card

10. Fun installing a Graphics card.

11. OLD networking cards, for fun?

12. Fun with named

13. GLIBs, Paths, Kernels and other fun stuff.