/var/spool/mail vs. /usr/spool/mail

Post by Craig Breniz » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I know this might appear to be a real newbee question, but it
is coming from one. ;)

Why do I have a /var/spool/mail and a /usr/spool/mail?

The /var/spool/mail doesn't seem to do anything, does it:

I ran a test.
    I chown'd a partickular user's /var/spool/mail file to
    root and chown'd the same user's /usr/spool/mail file
    to root.

   The result was that the user couldn't check mail--that makes sense!.

   I then chown'd that user's /usr/spool/mail  to make that user the
   owner and that user could then check mail.

   If /var/spool/mail was still owned by root ad the user was able to
   check mail, what is the function of /var/spool/mail?

Post by mumf.. » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I know this might appear to be a real newbee question, but it
>is coming from one. ;)

>Why do I have a /var/spool/mail and a /usr/spool/mail?

>The /var/spool/mail doesn't seem to do anything, does it:

>I ran a test.
>    I chown'd a partickular user's /var/spool/mail file to
>    root and chown'd the same user's /usr/spool/mail file
>    to root.

>   The result was that the user couldn't check mail--that makes sense!.

>   I then chown'd that user's /usr/spool/mail  to make that user the
>   owner and that user could then check mail.

>   If /var/spool/mail was still owned by root ad the user was able to
>   check mail, what is the function of /var/spool/mail?

On my system, /usr/spool is a soft link to /var/spool, so /usr/spool/mail
and /var/spool/mail are one in the same.

--

PGPprint = E3 0F DE CC 94 72 D1 1A  2D 2E A9 08 6B A0 CD 82

/var/spool/mail vs. /usr/spool/mail

Post by Jurgen Exne » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Why do I have a /var/spool/mail and a /usr/spool/mail?
> [...]

/usr/spool/mail is the historic place for the mail spool and a lot of
programs will look there (and only there).

On the other hand nowadays a lot people prefer to mount /usr as read-only
for sake of system security and stability.
Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to spool your mail on a read only
system, therefore /usr/spool/mail is a link to /var/spool/mail.

The same idea lies behind several other links, e.g.
/usr/X11/..../XF86CONFIG which is a link to /etc (or /var) as well.

jue

--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation

/var/spool/mail vs. /usr/spool/mail

Post by M. Buchenried » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>Why do I have a /var/spool/mail and a /usr/spool/mail?

[...]

You shouldn't have two separate directories. Usually, /usr/spool/mail
is just a link to /var/spool/mail, because some programs trust on the
existance of /usr/spool/mail.

Michael

Menu, n.:
            A list of dishes which a restaurant has just run out of.