Linux startup sequence (and samba auto start)

Linux startup sequence (and samba auto start)

Post by Alex Gia » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 17:53:33

I am sure this question has been asked several times, so if there is a
good FAQ or Web site, please point me!

Basically I am trying to figure out the exact order of the startup
sequence on Linux (RH 6.1) so that I can modify it.  (So far, I have
only a *very* rough idea, involving, init, /etc/initab,
/etc/rc.d/init.d/* and so on). Is there a completely clear description
somewhere?... please.

I have installed Samba off the RPM, and got it to work acceptably, but I
have to start "smbd" and "nmbd" manually from root every time I boot up!
  Recently I also aquired webmin, so now, at least, I can start them
from a browser, but I really want to be able to do it from startup.

There is a script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ called "smb" which seems to be
intended for automatic startup, but I don't think it gets activated.

Any ideas appreciated...

Alex

--

My apologies for not leaving a handy e-mail address for spammers.
Use alex_gian ATT yahoo Decimal cawm (if you must)

Post by dav.. » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 18:17:04

> /etc/rc.d/init.d/* and so on). Is there a completely clear description
> somewhere?... please.

The From-Boot-To-Bash-HOWTO on www.tldp.org

Quote:> I have to start "smbd" and "nmbd" manually from root every time I
> boot up!

Besides the fact that a "server" shouldn't be rebooted, unless it's
a Windows machine of course, put them in the start sequence, read the
samba documentation, it's explained.

Davide

Linux startup sequence (and samba auto start)

Post by Alex Gia » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 18:30:25

Thanks for the HOWTO link David,

Quote:> Besides the fact that a "server" shouldn't be rebooted,

Quite so, that's why I'm trying to fix it...

Quote:> unless it's a Windows machine of course,

He, he...

Quote:> put them in the start sequence, read the
> samba documentation, it's explained.

Erm, sorry to go on, you wouldn' happen to know the filename? - I
haven't been able to find it...

Thanks again
Regards

Alex

--

Post by dav.. » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 18:38:51

> Erm, sorry to go on, you wouldn' happen to know the filename?

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO

And look for
"To run the daemons from the system startup scripts, put the following
  script in file called /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb (for most distributions)
  and symbolically link it to the files specified in the comments:"

Davide

Linux startup sequence (and samba auto start)

Post by Alex Gia » Sun, 09 Feb 2003 05:44:41

David

The HOWTO did the trick.

FWIW, the reason Samba wasn't starting was that the symlink
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S91smb was not present!
I don't know why not, I'd just done an RPM instalation (RH6.1)

Once this was put in place, everything ran as expected.
Hey this Linux startup stuff isn't *too* bad once you get going, but (as
a newbie) it's real painfull when you're stuck!!
Learnt a lot this pm.

Thanks again for your help
Regards

Alex

> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO

> And look for
> "To run the daemons from the system startup scripts, put the following
>   script in file called /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb (for most distributions)
>   and symbolically link it to the files specified in the comments:"

--

My apologies for not leaving a handy e-mail address for spammers.
Use alex_gian ATT yahoo Decimal cawm (if you must)
You know how to compose this...

1. How can I auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?

My Sun (Solaris 2.6) server is running a program as a listener, when it
receives the "installation" command from remote user, it will call a
script which will automatically reboot the machine, then auto-login,
then automatically restart the listener to do the installation ...

Does anyone know how to implement this script,

Thanks a lot,

Hua.

2. Systems Update Utility

3. How to auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?

4. IP masquerading prob/question

5. Auto starting clients at fvwm startup

6. proxy thorough a proxy?

7. auto login / auto program startup

8. Limiting disk space

9. How to auto start Samba - RedHat 7.0

10. Getting Samba to auto start after cold boot/reboot

11. Starting Samba on Startup

12. Description of Linux startup sequence

13. !!Getting rid of auto start programs at start/Dialing up freeserve!!