Colorado T1000i tape

Post by Denn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi.  Still haven't figured out how to perform tape backup to my T1000i.
Internal floppy cable connected, DC-2120/QIC-80 or TR-1/Travan.

I have RedHat-Mandrake 6.0.  I have /dev/ftape.  Which seems linked to
/dev/nrtf0 when I do a 'ls /dev/f*'.  I've seen the ftape HOWTO doc.  Says the
drive should already be supported in the current kernal.  How can I tell?

I'm trying to use the KDE's tape backup software, yet it keep coming back with
'tape not found'.  I've edit the preference for /dev/tape, /dev/ftape,
/dev/nrtf0.  All come back tape not found.

What am I doing wrong?  Is there an ftape rpm module somewhere?

Colorado T1000i tape

Post by Robert Koma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: Hi.  Still haven't figured out how to perform tape backup to my T1000i.
: Internal floppy cable connected, DC-2120/QIC-80 or TR-1/Travan.

: I have RedHat-Mandrake 6.0.  I have /dev/ftape.  Which seems linked to
: /dev/nrtf0 when I do a 'ls /dev/f*'.  I've seen the ftape HOWTO doc.  Says the
: drive should already be supported in the current kernal.  How can I tell?

: I'm trying to use the KDE's tape backup software, yet it keep coming back with
: 'tape not found'.  I've edit the preference for /dev/tape, /dev/ftape,
: /dev/nrtf0.  All come back tape not found.

: What am I doing wrong?  Is there an ftape rpm module somewhere?

Your kernel needs to have the ftape driver.  If your kernel came with the
distribution, then there are probably modules for the driver in
/lib/modules/YOUR_KERNEL_VERSION/misc (they're called ftape.o, zftape.o,
and zft-compressor.o).  Use `lsmod' to see if they are already loaded.
If not, you'll need to load them.  I'm really only familiar with Slackware,
but you probably need to add the following lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, or
some such file.

/sbin/modprobe ftape
/sbin/modprobe zftape
/sbin/modprobe zft-compressor

To avoid rebooting, you can run the above commands by hand, as well, to load
the drivers.  If you still have problems, check out the ftape homepage at:

http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/

Cheers,
Rob Komar

Colorado T1000i tape

Post by Denn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Finally, a reply with some answers!

I've just been getting into Linux.  When I've posted a question, a lot of
people won't give me a straight answer.  They tell me something is possible,
but won't give details how.  Some tell me to look up a HOWTO doc.  But the
HOWTO docs assume you already know something about Linux.

Thanks for the reply.  Now I have someplace to look...Dennis

1. DA: Colorado T1000i

Hi.  My Windows 98SE/Red Hat-Mandrake 6.0 Linux machine has a Colorado T1000
internal tape unit.  Connected to floppy cable and takes either DC-2120 or TR-1
tapes.

As I recall, I tried a backup of my Linux drive last summer with the KDE
backup.  Would get to the end of the backup and lock up.

I'd like to try and perform another backup.  What steps should I take?  Any
advice is much appreciated...Dennis

2. nntp compilation help needed

3. Colorado T1000i backup

4. Possible solution to my ping problem

5. DA: T1000i tape backup

6. Summary: Audio CDs under Sol2.x

7. DA: T1000i tape backup #2

8. printing & BogoMips

9. Is the Colorado T3000 tape rive compatiable with F-Tape??

10. Colorado HP jumbo 250, tape formatting, and tape errors

11. Is the Colorado T3000 tape rive compatiable with F-Tape??

12. Colorado tape drive for free? Will it work?

13. Linux & Colorado Jumbo 250 Tape Streamer problems