Question regarding Redhat 6.1 default installation exclusion of required software packages

Question regarding Redhat 6.1 default installation exclusion of required software packages

Post by Steve Ra » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm an experienced Redhat Linux user with a simple question - when I went to
install Redhat 6.1 for my server, I selected the "Custom" option with
"select individual packages".  After selecting my choices for main packages
to install - Web server, ftp server, X windows etc, it shifts to the
individual component selection "tree/folders".  When I open the folders to
view the packages selected for installation, I noticed quite a few of the
required or suggested packages are NOT selected.  This seems different than
previous versions which installed most of the base programs and their
dependencies.
My question is - why doesn't Redhat pre-select all the required/suggested
files by default?  Is it because I selected the "select individual packages"
option?  When I tried the "Server" option, it installed the base daemons but
not X Windows or many other of the "standard" packages.  Does anyone have a
good list or URL that recommends ALL the packages that should be installed
for a server with some basic workstation capabilities (like kernel
recompiling or syslogs accounting)?  It's is a pain to go through each
folder and read all the descriptions to decide what I should include (OK so
I'm THAT experienced of a user/administrator and I can rpm any missing
packages.  I'd just prefer to have it install everything needed.)

TIA for any pointers,
Steve