need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Adam » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:36:30



My system is running Windows 98 SE.

After installing Red Hat Linux 7.3 onto Linux Ext2/Swap partitions,
PartitionMagic 7.0 offered to "fix" (HA!!!) "out of alignment" problems upon
opening the application after rebooting.  Unfortunately, I allowed it to
go ahead with the fixes.  And now, the HDD that Linux was installed on gives
Error #114 "Start of Logical vs. EPBR is not correct".  But,
I am still able to boot into Windows 98 SE, which is on
the active primary partition of the same problem HDD.

Also, the Linux installation was done from iso files downloaded to
my HDD (not from CDs).  While installing, the installer warned of
"(fixable) out of alignment" problems.  So, I clicked the "ignore" button since
it said that it was "fixable".  And now, the partition containing
the iso files are gone.  Anyone know what happened?

I guess I could run "pqmagic /ipe" but I thought I'd ask first since
I'm a bit paranoid about any "fix" from PowerQuest.    ;)
The last time that I ran "pqmagic /ipe", scandisk showed
all sorts of damage to the problem partition.

What's the best way to get myself out of this mess?

Thank you for your attention.

============================================================

PartitionInfo follows:

PowerQuest PartitionInfo 7.0 -- Windows 95/98/Me Version
Date Generated:  02/18/03  19:25:45
Copyright (c)1994-2001, PowerQuest Corporation
Permission is granted for this utility to be freely copied so long
as it is not modified in any way.  All other rights are reserved.

PowerQuest, makers of PartitionMagic(r), Drive Image(tm), and DriveCopy(tm), can be reached at:
    Voice:  801-437-8900
    Fax:  801-226-8941
    Web site:  http://support.powerquest.com/support.html
    E-mail:  ma...@powerquest.com

General System Information:
    Total Physical Memory (bytes):  536,268,800
    Used Physical Memory: (bytes):  339,296,256
    Maximum Page File Size: (bytes):  1,323,466,752
    Current Page File Size: (bytes):  145,600,512

====================================================================================================
=======
Disk Geometry Information for Disk 1:    4865 Cylinders,  255 Heads,  63 Sectors/Track
System              PartSect  # Boot BCyl Head Sect  FS    ECyl Head Sect    StartSect     NumSects
====================================================================================================
=======
WIN98SE_MFC                0  0  80     8    0    1  0B     891  254   63      128,520   14,201,460
                           0  1  00     0    1    1  83       5  254   63           63       96,327
                           0  2  00  1019    0    1  0F    1023  254   63   16,370,235   61,785,990
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
        0  2  00   1019    0    1  0F   4864  254   63  16370235  61785990
WIN98SE_PD2       16,370,235  0  00  1023    1    1  1B    1023  254   63   39,985,848    8,048,502
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 16370235  0  00   2489    1    1  1B   2989  254   63  39985848   8048502
                  16,370,235  1  00  1019    1    1  05    1023  254   63   16,370,298   21,527,037
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 16370235  1  00   1019    1    1  05   2358  254   63  16370298  21527037
                  16,370,298  0  00  1019    2    1  83    1023  254   63   16,370,361   21,526,974
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 16370298  0  00   1019    2    1  83   2358  254   63  16370361  21526974
Info: Partition didn't begin on head boundary.
  ucBeginHead expected to be 0 or 1, not 2.
                  16,370,298  1  00  1023    0    1  05    1023  254   63   37,897,335    2,088,450
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 16370298  1  00   2359    0    1  05   2488  254   63  37897335   2088450
SWAPSPACE2        37,897,335  0  00  1023  254   63  82    1023  254   63   37,897,398    2,088,387
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 37897335  0  00   2359    1    1  82   2488  254   63  37897398   2088387
                  37,897,335  1  00  1023    0    1  05    1023  254   63   48,034,350   23,872,590
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 37897335  1  00   2990    0    1  05   4475  254   63  48034350  23872590
DATA_EL_041       48,034,350  0  00  1023    1    1  1B    1023  254   63   48,034,413   23,872,527
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 48034350  0  00   2990    1    1  1B   4475  254   63  48034413  23872527
                  48,034,350  1  00  1023    0    1  05    1023  254   63   71,906,940    6,249,285
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 48034350  1  00   4476    0    1  05   4864  254   63  71906940   6249285
WIN98SE_PD1       71,906,940  0  00  1023    1    1  1B    1023  254   63   71,907,003    6,249,222
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 71906940  0  00   4476    1    1  1B   4864  254   63  71907003   6249222

====================================================================================================
=======
Disk Geometry Information for Disk 2:    9729 Cylinders,  255 Heads,  63 Sectors/Track
System              PartSect  # Boot BCyl Head Sect  FS    ECyl Head Sect    StartSect     NumSects
====================================================================================================
=======
                           0  0  00     0    1    1  83       7  254   63           63      128,457
WIN2K_RESRV                0  1  00   509    1    1  1B    1017  254   63    8,177,148    8,177,022
                           0  2  00  1018    0    1  0F    1023  254   63   16,354,170  139,942,215
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
        0  2  00   1018    0    1  0F   9728  254   63  16354170 139942215
WIN98SE_PDF                0  3  80     8    0    1  0B     508  254   63      128,520    8,048,565
                  16,354,170  1  00  1023    0    1  05    1023  254   63   83,216,700   12,530,700
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 16354170  1  00   5180    0    1  05   5959  254   63  83216700  12530700
WIN98SE_MFC       83,216,700  0  00  1023    1    1  1B    1023  254   63   83,216,763   12,530,637
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 83216700  0  00   5180    1    1  1B   5959  254   63  83216763  12530637
                  83,216,700  1  00  1023    0    1  05    1023  254   63   95,747,400   12,530,700
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 83216700  1  00   5960    0    1  05   6739  254   63  95747400  12530700
WIN98SE_MFC       95,747,400  0  00  1023    1    1  1B    1023  254   63   95,747,463   12,530,637
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 95747400  0  00   5960    1    1  1B   6739  254   63  95747463  12530637
                  95,747,400  1  00  1023    0    1  05    1023  254   63  108,278,100   12,723,480
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
 95747400  1  00   6740    0    1  05   7531  254   63 108278100  12723480
WINXP_NOBOR      108,278,100  0  00  1023    1    1  1B    1023  254   63  108,278,163   12,723,417
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
108278100  0  00   6740    1    1  1B   7531  254   63 108278163  12723417
                 108,278,100  1  00  1023    0    1  05    1023  254   63  121,001,580   12,530,700
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
108278100  1  00   7532    0    1  05   8311  254   63 121001580  12530700
WIN98SE_MFC      121,001,580  0  00  1023    1    1  1B    1023  254   63  121,001,643   12,530,637
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
121001580  0  00   7532    1    1  1B   8311  254   63 121001643  12530637
                 121,001,580  1  00  1023    0    1  05    1023  254   63  133,532,280   12,530,700
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
121001580  1  00   8312    0    1  05   9091  254   63 133532280  12530700
WIN98SE_MF1      133,532,280  0  00  1023    1    1  1B    1023  254   63  133,532,343   12,530,637
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
133532280  0  00   8312    1    1  1B   9091  254   63 133532343  12530637
                 133,532,280  1  00  1023    0    1  05    1023  254   63  146,062,980   10,233,405
Info: Begin C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
133532280  1  00   9092    0    1  05   9728  254   63 146062980
...

read more »

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:52:57



>What's the best way to get myself out of this mess?

For some of the readers it may be easier to evaluate the partition
tables, you do:

findpart tables fp.txt

and insert the output. Findpart is at the page below.
--
Svend Olaf
http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Adam » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:54:03


Nice utility!!!  Thanks!

Any version of "findpart" was suitable, so I just used
the first one listed.  And, here's the results:

Findpart, version 4.29.
Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2002.

OS:  DOS 7.10   WINDOWS 4.10     Partition tables:

Disk: 1   Cylinders: 4865   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 38162

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
    0 1*0B   128520 14201460  6934    8   0  1  891 254 63 OK   OK
    0 2 83       63    96327    47    0   1  1    5 254 63 OK   OK
    0 3 0F 16370235 61785990 30168 1019   0  1 4864*254 63      OK

 1019 1 1B 23615613  8048502  3929 2489*  1  1 2989*254 63 NB   OK
 1019 2 05       63 21527037 10511 1019   1  1 2358*254 63      OK

 1019+1 83       63 21526974 10511 1019   2  1 2358*254 63 OK   OK
 1019+2 05 21527100  2088450  1019 2359*  0  1 2488*254 63      OK

 2359 1 82       63  2088387  1019 2359#  1  1 2488*254 63      OK
 2359 2 05 31664115 23872590 11656 2990*  0  1 4475*254 63      OK

 2990 1 1B       63 23872527 11656 2990*  1  1 4475*254 63 OK   OK
 2990 2 05 55536705  6249285  3051 4476*  0  1 4864*254 63      OK

 4476 1 1B       63  6249222  3051 4476*  1  1 4864*254 63 OK   OK

Disk: 2   Cylinders: 9729   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 76317

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
    0 1 83       63   128457    62    0   1  1    7 254 63 OK   OK
    0 2 1B  8177148  8177022  3992  509   1  1 1017 254 63 OK   OK
    0 3 0F 16354170139942215 68331 1018   0  1 9728*254 63      OK
    0 4*0B   128520  8048565  3929    8   0  1  508 254 63 OK   OK

 1018 2 05 66862530 12530700  6118 5180*  0  1 5959*254 63      OK

 5180 1 1B       63 12530637  6118 5180*  1  1 5959*254 63 OK   OK
 5180 2 05 79393230 12530700  6118 5960*  0  1 6739*254 63      OK

 5960 1 1B       63 12530637  6118 5960*  1  1 6739*254 63 OK   OK
 5960 2 05 91923930 12723480  6212 6740*  0  1 7531*254 63      OK

 6740 1 1B       63 12723417  6212 6740*  1  1 7531*254 63 OK   OK
 6740 2 05104647410 12530700  6118 7532*  0  1 8311*254 63      OK

 7532 1 1B       63 12530637  6118 7532*  1  1 8311*254 63 OK   OK
 7532 2 05117178110 12530700  6118 8312*  0  1 9091*254 63      OK

 8312 1 1B       63 12530637  6118 8312*  1  1 9091*254 63 OK   OK
 8312 2 05129708810 10233405  4996 9092*  0  1 9728*254 63      OK

 9092 1 1B       63 10233342  4996 9092*  1  1 9728*254 63 OK   OK




> >What's the best way to get myself out of this mess?

> For some of the readers it may be easier to evaluate the partition
> tables, you do:

> findpart tables fp.txt

> and insert the output. Findpart is at the page below.
> --
> Svend Olaf
> http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:12:10



>Findpart, version 4.29.
>Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2002.

>OS:  DOS 7.10   WINDOWS 4.10     Partition tables:

>Disk: 1   Cylinders: 4865   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 38162

>-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
>    0 1*0B   128520 14201460  6934    8   0  1  891 254 63 OK   OK
>    0 2 83       63    96327    47    0   1  1    5 254 63 OK   OK
>    0 3 0F 16370235 61785990 30168 1019   0  1 4864*254 63      OK

> 1019 1 1B 23615613  8048502  3929 2489*  1  1 2989*254 63 NB   OK
> 1019 2 05       63 21527037 10511 1019   1  1 2358*254 63      OK

> 1019+1 83       63 21526974 10511 1019   2  1 2358*254 63 OK   OK
> 1019+2 05 21527100  2088450  1019 2359*  0  1 2488*254 63      OK

> 2359 1 82       63  2088387  1019 2359#  1  1 2488*254 63      OK
> 2359 2 05 31664115 23872590 11656 2990*  0  1 4475*254 63      OK

> 2990 1 1B       63 23872527 11656 2990*  1  1 4475*254 63 OK   OK
> 2990 2 05 55536705  6249285  3051 4476*  0  1 4864*254 63      OK

> 4476 1 1B       63  6249222  3051 4476*  1  1 4864*254 63 OK   OK

(Disk 2 cut).

I assume you know that all logical FAT32 partitions are hidden.

The logical partitions on disk 1 are not in physical order. This is
not compatible with any partitioning tools. Linux fdisk can create
this, but also is not able to handle it properly afterwards.

Using the sfdisk program, you may be able to write the partition
tables to a file, and then write them back in physical order, but I do
not recommend that. If you do anything yourself, make sure that the
extended partition is not type 05.

Note that if the order of the partitions is changed, you may have to
edit Linux partition related configuration files in order to be able
to boot and mount the partitions.

Since the last partitions in the extended partitions are not visible
FAT partitions, it is important that you do not make two primary FAT
partitions visible on one disk. Due to DOS/Windows 95/98/ME bugs.

If you need some files in Windows right now, you can use my fp.sys
device driver in Windows 98 to provide read only drive letters for
lost and hidden partitions. Remember the ios.ini entry. You can search
both disk 1 and 2 by adding two lines to config.sys.

The extended partition on disk 1 can be hidden from Windows and
Partition Magic if you change the type of the extended partition from
0F to 85 using Linux fdisk. But then you will not be able to make the
logical FAT32 partitions on disk 1 visible to Windows (but fp.sys can
be used).

You mentioned that the partition containing the Linux *.iso files was
lost. This can be in the currently unused space on disk 2.

If you want me to look for lost partitions, and/or edit the partition
tables using DOS/Windows batch files, you can do:

findpart all fp-a.txt

and insert fp-a.txt. (Well, yes, I could have said that at once).
--
Svend Olaf
http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Adam » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 23:39:20


My responses are inline.

"Svend Olaf Mikkelsen" <svo...@inet.uni2.dk> wrote in message
news:3e579b6b.8182296@dtext.news.tele.dk...

> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:54:03 GMT, "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> >Findpart, version 4.29.
> >Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2002.

> >OS:  DOS 7.10   WINDOWS 4.10     Partition tables:

> >Disk: 1   Cylinders: 4865   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 38162

> >-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
> >    0 1*0B   128520 14201460  6934    8   0  1  891 254 63 OK   OK
> >    0 2 83       63    96327    47    0   1  1    5 254 63 OK   OK
> >    0 3 0F 16370235 61785990 30168 1019   0  1 4864*254 63      OK

> > 1019 1 1B 23615613  8048502  3929 2489*  1  1 2989*254 63 NB   OK

The logical partition just above seems to be the only one that
does not have a matching 05 type partition.  Is this the reason I'm getting:
Error #114 "Start of Logical vs. EPBR is not correct" from
PartitionMagic?  And, what does NB mean?

> > 1019 2 05       63 21527037 10511 1019   1  1 2358*254 63      OK

> > 1019+1 83       63 21526974 10511 1019   2  1 2358*254 63 OK   OK
> > 1019+2 05 21527100  2088450  1019 2359*  0  1 2488*254 63      OK

> > 2359 1 82       63  2088387  1019 2359#  1  1 2488*254 63      OK
> > 2359 2 05 31664115 23872590 11656 2990*  0  1 4475*254 63      OK

> > 2990 1 1B       63 23872527 11656 2990*  1  1 4475*254 63 OK   OK
> > 2990 2 05 55536705  6249285  3051 4476*  0  1 4864*254 63      OK

> > 4476 1 1B       63  6249222  3051 4476*  1  1 4864*254 63 OK   OK

> (Disk 2 cut).

> I assume you know that all logical FAT32 partitions are hidden.

Yes, most of the logical FAT32 partitions are hidden.

On Disk 1, there should be 3 hidden logical FAT32 partitions near
the end of the HDD.

On Disk 2, there should be 6 hidden logical FAT32 partitions near
the end of the HDD.  And, there should be 1 visible logical FAT32 partition of
15,657.1 MB, which is missing, near the start of the extended partition.
Top priority for me is to recover this missing partition.

> The logical partitions on disk 1 are not in physical order. This is
> not compatible with any partitioning tools. Linux fdisk can create
> this, but also is not able to handle it properly afterwards.

Linux fdisk is very much integrated into
the Red Hat Linux 7.3 installer.  I wish I knew how to
prevent it from being used.

> Using the sfdisk program, you may be able to write the partition
> tables to a file, and then write them back in physical order, but I do
> not recommend that. If you do anything yourself, make sure that the
> extended partition is not type 05.

> Note that if the order of the partitions is changed, you may have to
> edit Linux partition related configuration files in order to be able
> to boot and mount the partitions.

If I were to remove all Linux Ext2/Swap partitions from Disk 1,
would the partitions then be in physical order?  If so,
I think I prefer this approach since I can always reinstall Linux.

> Since the last partitions in the extended partitions are not visible
> FAT partitions, it is important that you do not make two primary FAT
> partitions visible on one disk. Due to DOS/Windows 95/98/ME bugs.

Okay, I'll be sure to avoid having more than
one visible primary FAT partitions on a single HDD.

> If you need some files in Windows right now, you can use my fp.sys
> device driver in Windows 98 to provide read only drive letters for
> lost and hidden partitions. Remember the ios.ini entry. You can search
> both disk 1 and 2 by adding two lines to config.sys.

Okay, I'll try it out.  Thanks!

> The extended partition on disk 1 can be hidden from Windows and
> Partition Magic if you change the type of the extended partition from
> 0F to 85 using Linux fdisk. But then you will not be able to make the
> logical FAT32 partitions on disk 1 visible to Windows (but fp.sys can
> be used).

Don't I need the extended partition to be visible in order to
use visible logical partitions?

> You mentioned that the partition containing the Linux *.iso files was
> lost. This can be in the currently unused space on disk 2.

That's very impressive.  Yes, the missing partition is on Disk 2.

> If you want me to look for lost partitions, and/or edit the partition
> tables using DOS/Windows batch files, you can do:

> findpart all fp-a.txt

> and insert fp-a.txt. (Well, yes, I could have said that at once).
> --
> Svend Olaf
> http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm

And, here's the results from "findpart all fp-a.txt":

Findpart, version 4.29.
Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2002.

Searches for partitions type 01, 04, 06, 07, 0B, 0C, 0E, 82, 83,
plus Fdisk F6 and Lilo sectors. Information based on bootsectors
is marked B. If the disk is larger than supported by BIOS, the
supported part of the disk is examined. Disks are numbered from 1.

OS:  DOS 7.10   WINDOWS 4.10     All

Disk: 1   Cylinders: 4865   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 38162

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
    0 - 83       63    96327    47    0   1  1    5 254 63 B5   OK
    0 - 0B   128520 14201460  6934    8   0  1  891 254 63 B    OK
    0 - 07 12659220  2040255   996  788   0  1  914 254 63 B    OK
    0 - 0B 12659220  3711015  1812  788   0  1 1018 254 63 BU   OK
    0 - 07 14329980  2040255   996  892   0  1 1018 254 63 B    OK
  104 - 0C 12659220  3711015  1812  892   0  1 1122 254 63 BU   OK
 1019 1 1B 23615613  8048502  3929 2489*  1  1 2989*254 63 NB   OK
 1019 2 05       63 21527037 10511 1019   1  1 2358*254 63 1019 OK
 1019+1 83       63 21526974 10511 1019   2  1 2358*254 63 OK   OK
 1019+2 05 21527100  2088450  1019 2359*  0  1 2488*254 63 1019 OK
    0 - 83 16370361 21526974 10511 1019   2  1 2358 254 63 B    OK
 2288 1 3C       63  8401932  4102 2288*  1  1 2810*254 63      OK
 2288 - 0B       63  8401932  4102 2288   1  1 2810 254 63 B    OK
    0 - 0B 36756783  8401932  4102 2288   1  1 2810 254 63 BU   OK
 2359 1 82       63  2088387  1019 2359#  1  1 2488*254 63      OK
 2359 2 05 31664115 23872590 11656 2489*  0  1 3974*254 63 518  OK
 2489 1 1B       63  8048502  3929 2489*  1  1 2989*254 63 OK   OK
 2489 2 05 31664115 23872590 11656 2990*  0  1 4475*254 63 1019 OK
 2489 - 0B       63  8048502  3929 2489   1  1 2989 254 63 B    OK
    0 - 0B 39985848  8048502  3929 2489   1  1 2989 254 63 BU   OK
    Fdisk F6 sector                2720   0  1
    Fdisk F6 sector                2720   1  1
 2990 1 1B       63 23872527 11656 2990*  1  1 4475*254 63 OK   OK
 2990 2 05 55536705  6249285  3051 4476*  0  1 4864*254 63 1019 OK
 2990 - 0B       63 23872527 11656 2990   1  1 4475 254 63 B    OK
    0 - 0B 48034413 23872527 11656 2990   1  1 4475 254 63 BU   OK
 4220 2 05    16065 10345860  5051 1023   0  1 1666*254 63 +1   NB
 4476 1 1B       63  6249222  3051 4476*  1  1 4864*254 63 OK   OK
 4476 - 0B       63  6249222  3051 4476   1  1 4864 254 63 B    OK
    0 - 0B 71907003  6249222  3051 4476   1  1 4864 254 63 BU   OK

-----FAT CHS -Size Cl --Root -Good -Rep. Maybe --Bad YYMMDD DataMB
    8   0 33 13846  4*     2 13846     0     0     0 000814   5855
 2004   1  9   Second FAT not found.
 2288   1 33  8192  4    482* 4755     0  2823   614          3351
 2489   1 34  7849  4*   561  7849     0     0     0 941111   2597
 2990   1 33 11648  8   6221 11648     0     0     0 011225  10846
 4476   1 34  6093  4*  1000  6093     0     0     0 941111   2651

-----FAT CHS  ------LBA  Confidence  Distance Type Sig
    0 195 29      12313        4767             32  NB

Partitions according to partition tables on first harddisk:

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
    0 1*0B   128520 14201460  6934    8   0  1  891 254 63 OK   OK
    0 2 83       63    96327    47    0   1  1    5 254 63 OK   OK
    0 3 0F 16370235 61785990 30168 1019   0  1 4864*254 63      OK

 1019 1 1B 23615613  8048502  3929 2489*  1  1 2989*254 63 NB   OK
 1019 2 05       63 21527037 10511 1019   1  1 2358*254 63      OK

 1019+1 83       63 21526974 10511 1019   2  1 2358*254 63 OK   OK
 1019+2 05 21527100  2088450  1019 2359*  0  1 2488*254 63      OK

 2359 1 82       63  2088387  1019 2359#  1  1 2488*254 63      OK
 2359 2 05 31664115 23872590 11656 2990*  0  1 4475*254 63      OK

 2990 1 1B       63 23872527 11656 2990*  1  1 4475*254 63 OK   OK
 2990 2 05 55536705  6249285  3051 4476*  0  1 4864*254 63      OK

 4476 1 1B       63  6249222  3051 4476*  1  1 4864*254 63 OK   OK

Disk: 2   Cylinders: 9729   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 76317

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
    0 - 83       63   128457    62    0   1  1    7 254 63 B    OK
    Fdisk F6 sector                   0   1  1
    0 - 0B   128520  8048565  3929    8   0  1  508 254 63 B    OK
    0 - 0B  8177148  8177022  3992  509   1  1 1017 254 63 B    OK
    0 - 0B  8289603  8177022  3992  516   1  1 1024 254 63 B    OK
    0 - 0B  8305668  8177022  3992  517   1  1 1025 254 63 B    OK
    0 - 0B 10345860  4192965  2047  644   0  1  904 254 63 B    OK
  905 2 05 65898630  8193150  4000 4102*  0  1 4611*254 63 +4102OK
  905 - 0B       63 32065677 15657  905   1  1 2900 254 63 B    OK
 1018 2 05 66862530 12530700  6118 4162*  0  1 4941*254 63 +4162OK
    0 - 0B 16354233   128457    62 1018   1  1 1025 254 63 B    OK
 1019 2 05 64067220  8193150  4000 3988*  0  1 4497*254 63 +3988OK
 1026 1 0B       63 32065677 15657 1026*  1  1 3021*254 63 OK   OK
 3022 1 07       63 32190480 15718 3022*  1  1 1023 254 63 F6   NB
 3022 2 05117178110 12530700  6118 1023   0  1 1802*254 63 +7294NB
    Fdisk F6 sector                3022   1  1
    0 - 0B 48548493 31888962 15570 3022   1  1 5006 254 63 BU   OK
    0 - 0C 63601335 12514635  6110 3959   0  1 4737 254 63 B    OK
 4673 1 3C       63 32065677 15657 4673*  1  1 6668*254 63      OK
    0 - 0B 75071808 32065677 15657 4673   1  1 6668 254 63 B    OK
 5007 1 1B       63  8048502  3929
...

read more »

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 05:33:06



>On Disk 2, there should be 6 hidden logical FAT32 partitions near
>the end of the HDD.  And, there should be 1 visible logical FAT32 partition of
>15,657.1 MB, which is missing, near the start of the extended partition.
>Top priority for me is to recover this missing partition.

I will concentrate on this now.

To add that partition to the partition tables, you can download
adam1.bat in

http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/adam1.zip

and in a Windows 98 DOS box run adam1.bat, which contains:

set findpart=edit
findpart 2 1018 2 - 05  1026 0 1  3021 254 63  1018  9729 255 63  26
findpart 2 1026 2 - 05  5180 0 1  5959 254 63  1018  9729 255 63  26
set findpart=
findpart 2 table fp2-1.txt

If possible, you have the option to post the content from fp2-1.txt
for confirmation before reboot.

It is assumed that the partition tables on disk 2 are were not changed
since Findpart was run.
--
Svend Olaf

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Adam » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 07:53:16


My responses are inline.




> >On Disk 2, there should be 6 hidden logical FAT32 partitions near
> >the end of the HDD.  And, there should be 1 visible logical FAT32 partition of
> >15,657.1 MB, which is missing, near the start of the extended partition.
> >Top priority for me is to recover this missing partition.

> I will concentrate on this now.

Great!  Thanks!

Quote:> To add that partition to the partition tables, you can download
> adam1.bat in

> http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/adam1.zip

> and in a Windows 98 DOS box run adam1.bat, which contains:

> set findpart=edit
> findpart 2 1018 2 - 05  1026 0 1  3021 254 63  1018  9729 255 63  26
> findpart 2 1026 2 - 05  5180 0 1  5959 254 63  1018  9729 255 63  26
> set findpart=
> findpart 2 table fp2-1.txt

> If possible, you have the option to post the content from fp2-1.txt
> for confirmation before reboot.

Okay, see below.  If possible, I won't reboot until I hear back from you.

Quote:> It is assumed that the partition tables on disk 2 are were not changed
> since Findpart was run.

No changes were made to the partition tables.

Quote:> --
> Svend Olaf

And, here's the contents of "fp2-1.txt":

Findpart, version 4.29.
Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2002.

OS:  DOS 7.10   WINDOWS 4.10

Disk: 2   Cylinders: 9729   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 76317

Partitions according to partition tables on second harddisk:

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
    0 1 83       63   128457    62    0   1  1    7 254 63 OK   OK
    0 2 1B  8177148  8177022  3992  509   1  1 1017 254 63 OK   OK
    0 3 0F 16354170139942215 68331 1018   0  1 9728*254 63      OK
    0 4*0B   128520  8048565  3929    8   0  1  508 254 63 OK   OK

 1018 2 05   128520 32065740 15657 1026   0  1 3021 254 63      OK

 1026 1 0B       63 32065677 15657 1026*  1  1 3021*254 63 OK   OK
 1026 2 05 66862530 12530700  6118 5180   0  1 5959 254 63      OK

 5180 1 1B       63 12530637  6118 5180*  1  1 5959*254 63 OK   OK
 5180 2 05 79393230 12530700  6118 5960*  0  1 6739*254 63      OK

 5960 1 1B       63 12530637  6118 5960*  1  1 6739*254 63 OK   OK
 5960 2 05 91923930 12723480  6212 6740*  0  1 7531*254 63      OK

 6740 1 1B       63 12723417  6212 6740*  1  1 7531*254 63 OK   OK
 6740 2 05104647410 12530700  6118 7532*  0  1 8311*254 63      OK

 7532 1 1B       63 12530637  6118 7532*  1  1 8311*254 63 OK   OK
 7532 2 05117178110 12530700  6118 8312*  0  1 9091*254 63      OK

 8312 1 1B       63 12530637  6118 8312*  1  1 9091*254 63 OK   OK
 8312 2 05129708810 10233405  4996 9092*  0  1 9728*254 63      OK

 9092 1 1B       63 10233342  4996 9092*  1  1 9728*254 63 OK   OK

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:11:23



>> If possible, you have the option to post the content from fp2-1.txt
>> for confirmation before reboot.

>Okay, see below.  If possible, I won't reboot until I hear back from you.

You can reboot.
--
Svend Olaf
 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Adam » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:02:44


You're amazing!

I just rebooted and the data partition is back.
What a HUGE relief.

Any chance of getting rid of Error #114 from PartitionMagic?




> >> If possible, you have the option to post the content from fp2-1.txt
> >> for confirmation before reboot.

> >Okay, see below.  If possible, I won't reboot until I hear back from you.

> You can reboot.
> --
> Svend Olaf

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:06:55



>You're amazing!

>I just rebooted and the data partition is back.
>What a HUGE relief.

>Any chance of getting rid of Error #114 from PartitionMagic?

Tomorrow, if you do not change the partitions on disk 1.

Will it be OK that the Linux partitions on disk 1 are deleted?
--
Svend Olaf

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Adam » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:46:28


My responses are inline.




> >You're amazing!

> >I just rebooted and the data partition is back.
> >What a HUGE relief.

> >Any chance of getting rid of Error #114 from PartitionMagic?

> Tomorrow, if you do not change the partitions on disk 1.

Okay, I won't change the partitions on Disk 1.
Actually, PartitionMagic won't even show the partitions on
Disk 1 let alone allow changes.  And, I'm not comfortable using
other partitioning tools yet.

Quote:> Will it be OK that the Linux partitions on disk 1 are deleted?

Yes, it's OK to delete the Linux Ext2/Swap partitions.
And, IF that doesn't get rid of Error #114,
you can even delete the following partition:

Quote:> > > 1019 1 1B 23615613  8048502  3929 2489*  1  1 2989*254 63 NB   OK

> The logical partition just above seems to be the only one that
> does not have a matching 05 type partition.  Is this the reason I'm getting:
> Error #114 "Start of Logical vs. EPBR is not correct" from
> PartitionMagic?  And, what does NB mean?

But, if possible, I'd like to hold off on deleting this
hidden FAT32 logical partition as a last resort.
Quote:> --
> Svend Olaf

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 23:29:50



>Okay, I won't change the partitions on Disk 1.
>Actually, PartitionMagic won't even show the partitions on
>Disk 1 let alone allow changes.  And, I'm not comfortable using

To rearrange the partitions in the extended partition on disk 1 to
physical order, you can download adam2.bat in

http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/adam2.zip

Put adam2.bat in the same directory as findpart.exe, and run the batch
file in a Windows 98 DOS box. The batch file contains:

set findpart=edit
findpart 1 1019 1 - 83  1019 2 1  2358 254 63  1019  4865 255 63  26
findpart 1 1019 2 - 05  2359 0 1  2488 254 63  1019  4865 255 63  26
findpart 1 2359 2 - 05  2489 0 1  2989 254 63  1019  4865 255 63  26
set findpart=
findpart 1 table fp1-2.txt

If possible, post the content from fp1-2.txt for confirmation before
reboot.
--
Svend Olaf

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Adam » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 00:21:02


My responses are inline.




> >Okay, I won't change the partitions on Disk 1.
> >Actually, PartitionMagic won't even show the partitions on
> >Disk 1 let alone allow changes.  And, I'm not comfortable using

> To rearrange the partitions in the extended partition on disk 1 to
> physical order, you can download adam2.bat in

> http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/adam2.zip

> Put adam2.bat in the same directory as findpart.exe, and run the batch
> file in a Windows 98 DOS box. The batch file contains:

> set findpart=edit
> findpart 1 1019 1 - 83  1019 2 1  2358 254 63  1019  4865 255 63  26
> findpart 1 1019 2 - 05  2359 0 1  2488 254 63  1019  4865 255 63  26
> findpart 1 2359 2 - 05  2489 0 1  2989 254 63  1019  4865 255 63  26
> set findpart=
> findpart 1 table fp1-2.txt

> If possible, post the content from fp1-2.txt for confirmation before
> reboot.

Okay, see below.  If I can, I won't reboot until I hear back from you.

Quote:> --
> Svend Olaf

Contents of "fp1-2.txt" follows:

Findpart, version 4.29.
Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2002.

OS:  DOS 7.10   WINDOWS 4.10

Disk: 1   Cylinders: 4865   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 38162

Partitions according to partition tables on first harddisk:

-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
    0 1*0B   128520 14201460  6934    8   0  1  891 254 63 OK   OK
    0 2 83       63    96327    47    0   1  1    5 254 63 OK   OK
    0 3 0F 16370235 61785990 30168 1019   0  1 4864*254 63      OK

 1019 1 83      126 21526974 10511 1019   2  1 2358 254 63 OK   OK
 1019 2 05 21527100  2088450  1019 2359   0  1 2488 254 63      OK

 2359 1 82       63  2088387  1019 2359#  1  1 2488*254 63      OK
 2359 2 05 23615550  8048565  3929 2489   0  1 2989 254 63      OK

 2489 1 1B       63  8048502  3929 2489*  1  1 2989*254 63 OK   OK
 2489 2 05 31664115 23872590 11656 2990*  0  1 4475*254 63      OK

 2990 1 1B       63 23872527 11656 2990*  1  1 4475*254 63 OK   OK
 2990 2 05 55536705  6249285  3051 4476*  0  1 4864*254 63      OK

 4476 1 1B       63  6249222  3051 4476*  1  1 4864*254 63 OK   OK

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 00:33:58



>Findpart, version 4.29.
>Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2002.

>OS:  DOS 7.10   WINDOWS 4.10

>Disk: 1   Cylinders: 4865   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 38162

>Partitions according to partition tables on first harddisk:

>-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
>    0 1*0B   128520 14201460  6934    8   0  1  891 254 63 OK   OK
>    0 2 83       63    96327    47    0   1  1    5 254 63 OK   OK
>    0 3 0F 16370235 61785990 30168 1019   0  1 4864*254 63      OK

> 1019 1 83      126 21526974 10511 1019   2  1 2358 254 63 OK   OK
> 1019 2 05 21527100  2088450  1019 2359   0  1 2488 254 63      OK

> 2359 1 82       63  2088387  1019 2359#  1  1 2488*254 63      OK
> 2359 2 05 23615550  8048565  3929 2489   0  1 2989 254 63      OK

> 2489 1 1B       63  8048502  3929 2489*  1  1 2989*254 63 OK   OK
> 2489 2 05 31664115 23872590 11656 2990*  0  1 4475*254 63      OK

> 2990 1 1B       63 23872527 11656 2990*  1  1 4475*254 63 OK   OK
> 2990 2 05 55536705  6249285  3051 4476*  0  1 4864*254 63      OK

> 4476 1 1B       63  6249222  3051 4476*  1  1 4864*254 63 OK   OK

This went as expected. The logical partitions now are in physical
order. You can reboot.

The Linux ext2 partition begins head 2, where the standard is head 1.
I do not know if Partition Magic will complain.

In an extended partition type 0F, the CHS entries are not used, but
different standards exist for entering cylinder numbers larger than
1023. At cylinder 1019 and second entry at cylinder 2359, cylinder
number mod 1024 is used. These are the entries I made. At cylinder
2359 second entry CHS 1023/254/63 is used. In the remaining entries
1023 is used for a cylinder number larger than 1023.
--
Svend Olaf

 
 
 

need to recover from PartitionMagic Error #114 - please help

Post by Adam » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 01:17:42


My responses are inline.




> >Findpart, version 4.29.
> >Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2002.

> >OS:  DOS 7.10   WINDOWS 4.10

> >Disk: 1   Cylinders: 4865   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 38162

> >Partitions according to partition tables on first harddisk:

> >-PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
> >    0 1*0B   128520 14201460  6934    8   0  1  891 254 63 OK   OK
> >    0 2 83       63    96327    47    0   1  1    5 254 63 OK   OK
> >    0 3 0F 16370235 61785990 30168 1019   0  1 4864*254 63      OK

> > 1019 1 83      126 21526974 10511 1019   2  1 2358 254 63 OK   OK
> > 1019 2 05 21527100  2088450  1019 2359   0  1 2488 254 63      OK

> > 2359 1 82       63  2088387  1019 2359#  1  1 2488*254 63      OK
> > 2359 2 05 23615550  8048565  3929 2489   0  1 2989 254 63      OK

> > 2489 1 1B       63  8048502  3929 2489*  1  1 2989*254 63 OK   OK
> > 2489 2 05 31664115 23872590 11656 2990*  0  1 4475*254 63      OK

> > 2990 1 1B       63 23872527 11656 2990*  1  1 4475*254 63 OK   OK
> > 2990 2 05 55536705  6249285  3051 4476*  0  1 4864*254 63      OK

> > 4476 1 1B       63  6249222  3051 4476*  1  1 4864*254 63 OK   OK

> This went as expected. The logical partitions now are in physical
> order. You can reboot.

> The Linux ext2 partition begins head 2, where the standard is head 1.
> I do not know if Partition Magic will complain.

I just rebooted and PM7 is happy now.

I guess this means that Error #114 was generated because
the partition tables were not sorted properly.

Quote:> In an extended partition type 0F, the CHS entries are not used, but
> different standards exist for entering cylinder numbers larger than
> 1023. At cylinder 1019 and second entry at cylinder 2359, cylinder
> number mod 1024 is used. These are the entries I made. At cylinder
> 2359 second entry CHS 1023/254/63 is used. In the remaining entries
> 1023 is used for a cylinder number larger than 1023.

Uhm, okay.  :)

I think that last paragraph will take a little time for
me to digest.  I know what was said but
I'm not sure what the implications are.  So,
is there anything I need to avoid?

I guess I'll try booting Linux now and
see what changes I need to make to
the configuration files.

Svend, thank you VERY VERY much for your help.
Really appreciate it.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> --
> Svend Olaf

 
 
 

1. 2.1.114 compile error

After applying the 113 and 114 patches to a working 112 source base I
get the following:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.1.114/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-strength-reduce
-m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=686   -c
-o init_task.o init_task.c
init_task.c:24: parse error before `,'
init_task.c:24: warning: missing braces around initializer for
`init_task_union.task.sigmask_lock'
init_task.c:24: warning: excess elements in struct initializer after
`init_task_union.task.sigmask_lock'
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
make[1]: *** [init_task.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.1.114/arch/i386/kernel'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

Has anyone else been hit by this yet?

DM
-- Waiting for 115...

2. getopt arguments

3. Need Help Recovering from Dumb Mistake: Please

4. How To Mount Different CD Drive in Linux??

5. Please help!!! need recover passwd file

6. STB Velocity 128 AGP & XFree86

7. Term 114 and tmon

8. AIX 4.1 nfsd won't start

9. Another term: 114

10. Term 114 and tmon

11. 2.1.114 Compile crash

12. WangDAT 6130HS - unknown tape drive type (114)

13. xterm fails after 2.1.114