Problems with Iomega Jaz Drive

Post by Ramana R. Juvva » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to  make a partition on iomega jaz disk with 'fdisk'.
It displays only one partition /dev/sdb4. 'fdisk' works fine until
I try to write the partition table. It fails in writing the partition
table.

I tried 'dd if=vmlinuz of=/dev/sdb' in the hope it would create a valid
partition table. It says that the disk is read-only and exits.
I tried 'cfdisk' and it says 'partition table is corrupt'. This
is a new disk that came with the iomega jaz drive.

Any ideas?

Problems with Iomega Jaz Drive

Post by David Brya » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to  make a partition on iomega jaz disk with 'fdisk'.
>It displays only one partition /dev/sdb4. 'fdisk' works fine until
>I try to write the partition table. It fails in writing the partition
>table.

>Any ideas?

It seems that Iomega in thier "infinite wisdom" decided to create partitions
from the end of the table back, rather than from the begining of the table
forward like everyone else does.

On my Jaz I did a "d" to delete each of the partitons (4 through 1, just to be
redundant). Then I created a partition 1. Did a mkfs and everything was fine.

It may be (and I haven't seen the definitive word on this yet) that if the
cartridge was write protected via DOS/Win/NT software the drive itself then
honors that write protect under Linux. You might have to "unprotect" the
cartridge with DOS/Win/NT software before using it under Linux. The other
technique would be to use your SCSI controler's "low-level" format utility (if
available).

You should NEVER "bulk erase" a Jaz or Zip catridge, there is special
format/alignment information that is only creatable by the factory format.

Best of luck!

David

= Network Manager/Tech/Guru == 314-935-7571                     =
= CAIT - Center for the application of Information Technology   =
= Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, USA, Dirt         =

Problems with Iomega Jaz Drive

Post by Tim Smi » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>What have you done with the anoying sleep mode of 30 minutes (default)?

#!/bin/sh
while :
do
        sleep 1700
        # put some command that will access the disk here
done

Post by c.. » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: What have you done with the anoying sleep mode of 30 minutes (default)?
: I have found that I can use Dos/Win95 OK with a longer sleep time, but
: my external Jaz drive goes to sleep after 30 minutes...  Slows things
: down when I try to access a fs in that drive.

True. I myself use the jaz drive to store news only, so the drive is
being accessed when a user reads news, which doesn't happen very often.
Therefore, I'd like to put the drive to sleep after 3 minutes or so. No
problem under DOS - but how do you do that running Linux?
--

"Toto? - I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

1. problems with Iomega Jaz drive under Red Hat 5.0

I'm having difficulty getting my RedHat installation to recognize
my SCSI Iomega Jaz Drive.  It seems to be recognized at boot time
at first:

Detected scsi removable disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
  Vendor: PLEXTOR   Model: CD-ROM PX-20TS    Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

but later on, I get

sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
sdb : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
sdb : extended sense code = 2
sdb : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
 sdb:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0, absolute sector 0
 unable to read partition table

This is with a cartridge in the drive.  The cartridge does not
contain a filesystem, so perhaps this message can be ignored.

Once the system boots, if I try to access the drive, I get:

        # tar -cvf /dev/jaz foo
        tar: Cannot open /dev/jaz: Device not configured

Is this message correct?  Have I forgotten to configure something?
(/dev/jaz is a link to /dev/sdb, which should be correct.)  Is there
a module I need to load?

This was working fine under Red Hat 4.2.

        - Bob Lewis

2. merge utility

3. iomega 2GB jaz drive (with iomega SCSI) and RedHat 5.2, installation problem #3

4. How does Konqueror deal with fonts?

5. Using Iomega Jaz drive ( if they ever come out) as a Boot drive???

6. DUMB Newbie Question

7. Iomega Jaz 2G + PCMCIA Jaz Card

8. What is nfssvc?

9. iomega JAZ + iomega SCSI

10. Iomega Jaz drive support?

11. Anybody familiar with iomega JAZ drive (SCSI)?

12. Iomega Jaz drive

13. Booting MkLinux from a IOMEGA JAZ drive