Reinstaling Linux.

Post by Henrique Almei » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hello and greetings from Brazil!

I'm new to the Linux community (just instaled Debian a couple of days
ago) and I think i'll like to use it a lot.

The problem is that I wasn't with all the .deb packages in my first
setup and thus some dependencies problems showed up.
Now I would like to reinstall from sketch, reformating de Linux
partition (native and swap) while mantening the others 3 that have
DOS/W95 programs (yes, I'll have to live with them for a while ;-).

This is my setup:

hda1: Linux with dual-boot LILO (boot)
hda2: DOS/W95 (boot)
hda3: Linux SWAP
hda4: Vfat
hda5: Vfat

How can this be done without messing up with the partition table,
leaving the hd bootable?

Thanks.

Henrique Almeida

* Attention: the reply address in this mail is not correct.
* If u want to mail me, remove the leading "x" from it.

* One more word: I would like to be an active member of this
* newsgroup. In the begining it is logical that I'll ask more
* and post few answers, but that will change in time.
* And sorry about my english, ok?

1. Reinstalling Linux on a disk that has important data

I am restoring a Linux server whose hard disk was damaged
by a hacker attack.  I believe the whole /etc directory is
gone, and hence I cannot do remote logins. I haven't touched
the machine physically yet, but I probably will not be able
to do local logins (with local keyboard and monitor) either.

The problem is that before I reinstall Linux (RH 6.0) again,
I will like to rescue a few files, such as those under
/home and /var/named.

I am considering two approaches:

 -either-

1) Boot up Linux with floppy and then (somehow) enable
networking, mount the hard disk mannualy, and back it up
over the network.  Reformat the HD and reinstall RedHat.

 -or-

2) Reinstall Linux from scratch, just making sure the I
answer NO when I am offered the option to reformat the
partitions (/home, /var each has its own partition)
in which I have valuable data.

I would like to elicit your expert comments on the above
approaches.  Tips and gotchas are very much welcome.

Regards,

-Ramon F. Herrera

ps: if you must answer by e-mail, do so to the
following address:  herrera (at) venezuela.mit.edu

2. Setup staroffice

3. Reinstalling Linux, RedHat 5.1

4. syquest sparq as vfat disk

5. I am reinstalling linux

6. 16bit modes in XFree86

7. (Q) reinstalling linux after umsdos problems

8. Problem with lilo and X11/Millenium

9. I did something wrong, I reinstalled linux.

10. Reinstalling Linux

11. Reinstalling Linux?

12. Help: Reinstalling Linux Without Losing Everything

13. Reinstalling Linux