Linux won't start after installing programs...

Linux won't start after installing programs...

Post by Michael L. Semo » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi!  I'm probably looking more for speculation than a solution to this
problem.  Solutions are welcomed, though :-)

I'm running Slackware 3.5.  I wanted to try Sybase ASE so I could try to
plug Applixware into it.  I got ASE, the docs, and the glibc2 runtime
from Caldera.  It was in RPM format, so I got RPM from Sunsite.

I un-tar-gzipped the binary RPM distribution into /.  When using the RPM
binary, I got "/bin/sh needed for ..." messages.  Thinking it was a
system problem (sh->bash on my system), I got the source code and
recompiled RPM.  It installed somewhere in /usr, it worked, and I got
the same error message.

So, I installed the glibc2 runtime and Sybase with rpm's --nodeps
option.  Everything installed, and my sybase account couldn't use
/bin/sh.  Then, I logged in as a user.  "/bin/bash not found."  I exited
X as root and tried some user logins.  Same thing.  I logged out as root
and tried to get back into X.  X wasn't found.

I could get pine running, but I couldn't get pppd to run.  So, I
rebooted, and now, Linux gives me something like "/etc/rc.d/rc.something
not found."  It's the one right after Linux does the read-only test on
the root partition.

I booted from my rescue disks after reading something about RPM screwing
up user permissions.  I changed some directories from -rwx------ to
match the -rwxr-xr-x permissions for the other directories in /.  I did
the same thing inside /usr and a few other directories.  I rebooted to
get the same problems.

I did too much at once.  So, which action toasted my Linux
installation?  What can I do to prevent it from happening next time?
Thanks in advance, and have fun!

                                                        --Michael

Linux won't start after installing programs...

Post by Michael L. Semo » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hi!  I'm probably looking more for speculation than a solution to this
> problem.  Solutions are welcomed, though :-)

I did find a solution:  Back up /etc, reinstall parts of the a and ap
Slackware disk sets, recompile my custom kernel, install LILO, restore
parts of /etc, and reboot.  All said and done, it was a 20-minute
operation.  Everything's back to normal.  Sybase works, too :-)

I still don't know which part of Linux I broke, though.  Maybe I'll find
out next time ;-)

Have fun!

                                                        --Michael

        http://www.gate.net/~mlsemon/

1. installed mach 64 linux won't start

i just installed an ati mach 64 2mb vlb card on my 486 66.  i have a
sony 17se.  i had linux, character, not x windows, installed and
running.  i was using os/2 boot manager to start lilo which started
linux.  i had a trident svga card.  now when i try to start linux,
the screen goes blank, the two characters 'LI' are displayed and the
system hangs.  i am not running x windows at this time, so the problem
is not related to that.  any help would appreciated.  thanks.

2. Kernel BUG at page_alloc.c:91! (2.4.19)

3. after installing linux... windows won't start!

4. Error upgrading RH7.0 -> RH7.1

5. KDE won't start now I've installed kernel patch 2.2.9

6. Warning time

7. ip-up won't start programs that require config files!

8. Loghost

9. grahical login program tanks, system won't start, help!

10. icons dissapeared and programs won't start

11. kppp + kde 1.1 : programs won't start

12. ip-up.local and GUI programs-won't start!:(

13. XFree86 programs won't start (elf?)