Install Linux to CD-less PC

Post by Lito Lipa » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:05:01

I bought a Compaq Deskpro 6550+ pre loaded with NT 4 workstation I
didn't know it has no CD-ROM drive until I powered up for the first
time.  Primary partition has NT (as FAT) and 3 GB partition unused.
This Compaq Deskpro has FastEthernet adapter built-in.  I also have IBM
Thinkpad with CD-ROM, 3Com PCMCIA cardbus FastEthernet adapter.  I have
LinkSys 5-port 10/100 autoswitch and  I installed software into the NT
like M$ Office2K, Netscape Communicator 4.77 using laptop's laptop's
CD-ROM.  My laptop's HD is already bloated, can't take anymore Linux
install.

Here's my question.  Is it possible to install Linux (Red Hat 7.x) using
my laptop's CD-ROM with only network protocols as NetBEUI and TCP/IP
just like I did in Windoze?  If so, how?  If not, what's the best way to
install Linux to a CDROM-less PC?

Thanks.

Install Linux to CD-less PC

Post by Daniel Kenzelman » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:41:06

Yes, it is possible...
e.g. with RH 7.1 you can choose
HTTP, FTP and more
that is, you have to install a web server, with your
cdrom drive at let's say http://192.168.0.1/cdrom/
first you have to make an install disk from the
images on the disk (pcmcia.img i think)

--
The day Microsoft makes something that does not suck,
is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

GnuPG/OpenPGP key available on request

Install Linux to CD-less PC

Post by Lito Lipa » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 06:21:45

Cool, then I just need a mini webserver software instaled into my
Thinkpad running Windoze 98, and I'll be exploring Linux again?  Is the
Apache for Windows the smallest to install I can uninstall later without
problem?  Thanks.

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 08:52:46

> Cool, then I just need a mini webserver software instaled into my
> Thinkpad running Windoze 98, and I'll be exploring Linux again?  Is the
> Apache for Windows the smallest to install I can uninstall later without
> problem?  Thanks.

Actually you should install Linux on the laptop first :-)

Apache should do the job on Windows 98 - but I never tried running
Apache on M$ products.

Rasmus

> > Yes, it is possible...
> > e.g. with RH 7.1 you can choose
> > HTTP, FTP and more
> > that is, you have to install a web server, with your
> > cdrom drive at let's say http://192.168.0.1/cdrom/
> > first you have to make an install disk from the
> > images on the disk (pcmcia.img i think)

> > --
> > The day Microsoft makes something that does not suck,
> > is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

> > GnuPG/OpenPGP key available on request

--
-- [ Rasmus 'M?ffe' B?g Hansen ] ---------------------------------------
[...] Note that 120 sec is defined in the protocol as the maximum

Install Linux to CD-less PC

Post by Lito Lipa » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:51:36

Read again my original posting.  My laptop's HD is too bloated, can't fit any
Linux install.  I tried download SunFTP for Windoze but it's asking for DNS or
DHCP server, ngiii...  I'll probably install Linux Router Project into a spare
book PC 486dx2/66 to use it as router or DNS server then because Windoze
network neighborhood only works as NetBEUI...

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:16:32

> Read again my original posting.  My laptop's HD is too bloated, can't fit any
> Linux install.  I tried download SunFTP for Windoze but it's asking for DNS or

Well, the 'install linux on the laptop' actually just was a joke :-)

Quote:> DHCP server, ngiii...  I'll probably install Linux Router Project into a spare
> book PC 486dx2/66 to use it as router or DNS server then because Windoze
> network neighborhood only works as NetBEUI...

Get rid of netBEUI and install TCP/IP instead - Windows has support for
it (even in the oldest 95's).

And you do not *need* DHCP or DNS to install on your desktop from your
laptop. Just give it an IP on the same subnet and the same netmask as
the laptop. Then tell it to install via FTP or HTTP from the laptop's IP
(it does not have to be a DNS name).

The LRP-thing, you are talking about could - on the other hand -
probably be a nice way to share the internet connection between the to
other boxes...

Rasmus

--
-- [ Rasmus 'M?ffe' B?g Hansen ] ---------------------------------------
If you only have a hammer
--------------------------------- [ moffe at amagerkollegiet dot dk ] --

Install Linux to CD-less PC

Post by Graham Stewar » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:20:56

I would actually recommend xitami. It only takes a couple of megs of
diskspace, very little cpu power and whilst it's not as powerful as apache
it's a snap to set up. It's not open source either but it is free.

hth

> Cool, then I just need a mini webserver software instaled into my
> Thinkpad running Windoze 98, and I'll be exploring Linux again?  Is the
> Apache for Windows the smallest to install I can uninstall later without
> problem?  Thanks.

> > Yes, it is possible...
> > e.g. with RH 7.1 you can choose
> > HTTP, FTP and more
> > that is, you have to install a web server, with your
> > cdrom drive at let's say http://192.168.0.1/cdrom/
> > first you have to make an install disk from the
> > images on the disk (pcmcia.img i think)

> > --
> > The day Microsoft makes something that does not suck,
> > is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

> > GnuPG/OpenPGP key available on request

Install Linux to CD-less PC

Post by Lito Lipa » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:11:21

Yeap, I heard John Terpesta (Samba guru) in person NetBEUI is not need for the
Network Neighborhood.  Thanks for the elightenment.  In my Windows 98 I just install
"Personal Web Server" by executing 'C:\Windows\Options\Cab\Setup.exe' and clicked
'Advance'.  It's not as powerful as Apache but it certainly work.  Now httpd work
but not the one I like 'ftp'.  I'll keep trying but any suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks again.

> > Read again my original posting.  My laptop's HD is too bloated, can't fit any
> > Linux install.  I tried download SunFTP for Windoze but it's asking for DNS or

> Well, the 'install linux on the laptop' actually just was a joke :-)

> > DHCP server, ngiii...  I'll probably install Linux Router Project into a spare
> > book PC 486dx2/66 to use it as router or DNS server then because Windoze
> > network neighborhood only works as NetBEUI...

> Get rid of netBEUI and install TCP/IP instead - Windows has support for
> it (even in the oldest 95's).

> And you do not *need* DHCP or DNS to install on your desktop from your
> laptop. Just give it an IP on the same subnet and the same netmask as
> the laptop. Then tell it to install via FTP or HTTP from the laptop's IP
> (it does not have to be a DNS name).

> The LRP-thing, you are talking about could - on the other hand -
> probably be a nice way to share the internet connection between the to
> other boxes...

> Rasmus

> --
> -- [ Rasmus 'M?ffe' B?g Hansen ] ---------------------------------------
> If you only have a hammer
> everything looks like a nail
> --------------------------------- [ moffe at amagerkollegiet dot dk ] --

1. Installing Linux on a Wal-Mart OS-less PC

A couple of months ago, we were all discussing the merits of the WalMart
move to distribute 'naked' PCs. This article on Newsforge talks about his
experience with Linux on the low-end model. Things look pretty good for
Linux XF on this box - a person might even be able to make a small side
business reselling these with Linux XF installed.

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/04/29/0218241.shtml?tid=7

Quote:

"As previously mentioned, the Wal-Mart site currently lists 14 machines
without an operating system. All are listed under the Microtel brand, and
include a selection of Celeron, Duron, Athlon, and Pentium 4 processors
ranging from 1 to 2 GHz. The prices range from a consumer-friendly U.S.
$398 for a 1 GHz Duron or Celeron box, to a top-end 2 GHz Pentium 4 at
U.S. $868. The low end offerings start with a "mere" 128 MB of memory,
while the upper end tops out at hefty 512 MB installed. And to think that
I still have a few 256 KB (yes, that's one quarter of a megabyte) SIMMs
sitting in my drawer. The low end is a heck of a lot nicer than it was
just a few years ago.

"For the purposes of this review, we ordered a 1 GHz Duron system for U.S.
$398. We figured that this would be a relatively popular selection among
the more cost-conscious Linux users. With shipping, the total was a
manageable U.S. $413. We ordered the PC on the evening of April 11 and it
came to my door on April 22."

2. Linux and Security problems

3. CD-less install gone wrong...

4. Looking for Linux, Thats compressed for DOS!

5. System CD on a CD-less system

6. can't read tapes written under sunOS

7. p133 cd-rom-less install

8. SLIP v/s TCP/IP

9. Installing Linux on a PC w/o CD-ROM drive

10. Single Floppy Linux on HD-less PC ??

11. Running LINUX on a disk-less PC on a Novell Network

12. Need help with burning Linux CD's on a PC using Easy CD Creator 5

13. browse linux pc (with samba installed) from DOS pc