Kernel/SCSI device/driver gives EXT2fs warnings under LINUX.

Kernel/SCSI device/driver gives EXT2fs warnings under LINUX.

Post by P Lewi » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi,
I've recently installed a new Seagate Hawk 32130N SCSI drive on my 486DX4/100
system with an Adaptec 1542B controller. I'm using the precompiled v1.2.8
kernel supplied in the Slackware 2.3.0 distribution. Im using it as a root
device (device 8/1) - I also have an IDE 420Mb drive which is separate.

Problem is that things don't compile fully and i get errors to indicate that
certain source code files have the wrong syntax and/or parse errors etc. This
seems to me like the files are not being read correctly because when the file
in question is memory cache, recompiling from where i left off gives the same
error, however if i reboot and recompile after a clean up ill get a completely
different file in error! - The compilation errors are not correct be4cause I
check out the offending source code and it always looks fine.

Since ive had the SCSI device Ive not been ever able to recomplie any large
programs. Kernels eventually compile after 3 or 4 mid-compilation-restarts but
when booted i get an immediate error saying 'CRC error'.

I thought it was the bug in GCC 2.6.3 but I went back to 2.5.8 (which always
seemed to work on my old IDE root device) and still have the same problems.

During compilation I get messages in the syslog file saying
'<date> <hostname> kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device 8/1): ext2_getblk: block <
0'
This message can be repeated upto several hundered times in a few minutes.

Does anyone know what I could do to solve this problem - I dont think its the
memory - ive had that one and solved it - anyway its not internal compiler
errors which are the problem here.

Please EMAIL any response please

Thanks in advance for thinking abouty this headache!

| Sch. of Elec. Eng,           office tel:            +44 (0) 121 414 4308 |
| University of Birmingham,     home page: http://sun1.bham.ac.uk/eee4pjl6 |
| Birmingham, B15 2TT, U.K.                                                |
| The S.E.Asia Travel Planner: http://sun1.bham.ac.uk/eee4pjl6/travel.html |
| International Phone Calls Page:          http://sun1.bham.ac.uk/eee4pjl6 |

Post by Nathan A. Hi » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Hi,
: I've recently installed a new Seagate Hawk 32130N SCSI drive on my 486DX4/100
: system with an Adaptec 1542B controller. I'm using the precompiled v1.2.8
: kernel supplied in the Slackware 2.3.0 distribution. Im using it as a root
: device (device 8/1) - I also have an IDE 420Mb drive which is separate.
[much deleted]
: During compilation I get messages in the syslog file saying
: '<date> <hostname> kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device 8/1): ext2_getblk: block <
: 0'
: This message can be repeated upto several hundered times in a few minutes.
:

    I'm having a problem very similar to this one.  I have a Seagate
Baracuda 4Gb drive on a new Adaptec 1542 for our news spool.  I keep
getting kernel panics, with messages in the syslog like this:

Aug 27 11:15:09 malabar kernel: Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 8/2):
ext2_read_inode: unable to read i-node block - inode=425988, block=1703955

    I'm running kernel v1.2.8, gcc 2.5.8.  I replaced the old 1542 with a
new model and that didn't fix the problem, it just panics less often now.
Does anyone have any ideas?  Please respond via e-mail, since it is our
news server that's dying.

Linux is OS of choice for RichNet.net, and yes, I do speak for my employer.
 - I'm not just the Richnet Inc System Administrator, I'm also a client. -
 -=-=- "I am the high you can't sustain.  And I control you." -- NIN -=-=-