HELP lost keyboard and console

Post by Mark Viss » Mon, 16 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

Today i experienced something painful. After an uptime of 10 days my machine
(running Linux kernel 2.0.18) hang in X-Windows while loading a large WWW page.
Everything on the machine worked, e.g. i could telnet in from other
machines, my terminal was still working, mail was being served etc.
Only...the keyboard didn't accepted that much input and my screen seemed to
have lost every connection to the rest of the computer. It stayed on displaying
the WWW page i was accessing in Netscape 3.0.

I thought i could restore it to normal mode my logging in by my terminal and
do a killall of X, but to my suprise X had already killed everything that
was running and had any relation to X (XFree86 3.1.2F).

Also, rereading of inittab resulted nothing.

I tried some other things and checked for lock files, but none was there.

The secret linux keys to see the system's state (eg. ctrl-scroll lock) etc.
did work), but there was 'no wrong line' in it.
The only thing i could do was at least the threefingersalute.

Anybody know of a way to reset your keyboard and console with such a
problem ?

This was quite annoying.

Mark

(answers please with a cc to my e-mail adress)
Mark Visser                |   Student Civiele Technologie & Management

Telephone: 053-4895038     |
Warning: You can get rid of all the bugs by disabling them from the main menu.

Post by Patrice Lachanc » Wed, 25 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Today i experienced something painful. After an uptime of 10 days my machine
> (running Linux kernel 2.0.18) hang in X-Windows while loading a large WWW page.
> Everything on the machine worked, e.g. i could telnet in from other
> machines, my terminal was still working, mail was being served etc.
> Only...the keyboard didn't accepted that much input and my screen seemed to
> have lost every connection to the rest of the computer. It stayed on displaying
> the WWW page i was accessing in Netscape 3.0.

> I thought i could restore it to normal mode my logging in by my terminal and
> do a killall of X, but to my suprise X had already killed everything that
> was running and had any relation to X (XFree86 3.1.2F).

> Also, rereading of inittab resulted nothing.

> I tried some other things and checked for lock files, but none was there.

> The secret linux keys to see the system's state (eg. ctrl-scroll lock) etc.
> did work), but there was 'no wrong line' in it.
> The only thing i could do was at least the threefingersalute.

> Anybody know of a way to reset your keyboard and console with such a
> problem ?

> This was quite annoying.

I got such a problem but I tried to run /etc/rcd/rc.4 from a text
console.
The script brougth X.  After a while, I wanted to reboot my linux box
with
shutdown now.  Them troubles started.  Since then, I can't start X
anymore
( error message: console problem) as well as gpm.

If you fixed this problem, please let me know by E-Mail

--
Patrice Lachance
Maya Heat Transfer Technologies Ltd.

1. Help: System lost DVI video on bootup (post) and linux console

I recently had a system crash, probably due to flakey power.

Anyway, since then my system is fine, but it won't work properly on DVI output.
Something strange happened and I can't diagnose the problem!

Originally I had a single cable from the video card (ATI Radeon 7500) to the
DVI connection on my monitor (Samsung 191T).  It worked fine before, from boot
("post"), to Linux console mode, to X.  I am running a Tyan S2469 motherboard
with 1.07 bios.  Software is Debian "testing", XFree 4.3.0.

Now booting ("post") or linux console messages only show up on VGA.  Behaviour
in X is unpredictable.  On certain monitors (Viewsonic VG181) it detects the
DVI connection fine.  That is, if both VGA and DVI are connected, it switches
to DVI as expected.  But on other monitors (the Samsung 191T) it won't go into
DVI.  When I looked at the logfile for X it reports two monitors, but both are
analog.

I've tried lots of stuff, changing the video card, the monitors, the cable,
etc.  I also tried clearing CMOS and re-flashing the bios.  Nothing helped.

Does anyone know what could cause this type of problem?  Someone suggested
that the SMBus/I2C on the motherboard could be hosed.  Is there a way to
diagnose this kind of problem?  I do lot of hardware stuff, but this one has
me stumped!

Thanks,
  Richard

2. Newbie: getting a boot prompt

3. Help! Lost console.

4. Incredible F/T Opp to Use C++ and Learn Wall Street

5. Need help: lost console output

6. Cyrus_sasl

7. HELP: I've lost the console

8. Why won't RH7 boot with L1/L2 cache enabled?

9. Locked console keyboard, HELP

10. HELP-Console Keyboard LOCKSup

11. HELP: How to grab *all* console keyboard input?

12. Help needed with console keyboard bindings (The old backspace/delete problem)

13. Console keyboard lock up: Help please